Mykonos beach

sarshecky

We will be in Mykonos next Monday. Woo hoo! Arriving in the early am and not departing until 3:00am. We want to spend time relaxing on a beach, before shopping and exploring the town.

What is the easiest and nicest beach to get to? It seems like taxis are hard to come by so I'm thinking bus is the way to go.

Any recommendations on restaurants or bars for the evening?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There on 6-10 and our captain did a switch and tendered so I had to go to plan B. Cannot say which beach is nicest as only went to one but it was nice with a good organized area as well as nicely protected and easy to walk out into It was Ornos which is the closest of the southern beaches. Bus stopped right at the beach, cost 1.80€ each way per person from the Fabrika station. Organized section mid beach with table service for food and drinks. 2 chaises with table and umbrella were 16€ for the day. The Med was surprisingly cold.

Others may comment on additional beaches but buses generally all leave from the same station.

We will be in Mykonos next Monday. Woo hoo! Arriving in the early am and not departing until 3:00am. We want to spend time relaxing on a beach, before shopping and exploring the town.

What is the easiest and nicest beach to get to? It seems like taxis are hard to come by so I'm thinking bus is the way to go.

Any recommendations on restaurants or bars for the evening?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Saw the movie Shirley Valentine, it is British but very good movie.

We ordered the movie online and purchased it. We were told it was all about the island, and it was. We found out the name of the beach where the movie was filmed, great little beach. We rent a car when there, very easy, no traffic to speak of. We stopped by a small church in a tiny town on the way to one beach which was very pretty. The church was beautiful inside, not expecting to find such a great treasure in such a tiny village. We love to wander around quiet ports. There are not a lot of ports where we rent a car for the day, but Mykonos is one that we enjoy, it is such fun. The beach where the movie was filmed, we went to a tiny restaurant for lunch. There was no electricity, the bake everything in a wood oven (tile and stone) in the wall. It was excellent, really enjoyed it.

The ferry to the Island of Delos is in Mykonos, VERY INTERESTING. We walked by the water in town to the Ferry Station and went over to the island. Take water and snacks with you.

It’s a UNESCO world heritage site. It’s an ark of history, floating lazily on the waters of the Aegean Sea, just a few miles away from cosmopolitan Mykonos. It’s a chance to walk around the revival of the glory of the Greek civilization. It’s the head priest of the Cyclades, the birthplace of the immortals. It’s Delos.

In the ancient times, the myth of god Apollo, god of light, and goddess Artemis having been born there rendered the island sacred: no mortal would ever be allowed to be born on its land. But, a cradle of gods as the island has been, no mortals would ever be allowed to die on it either. So, apart from it being a conspicuous religious and economic centre, the island had also been exclusive in that: even during the years of peak of the Delian Alliance, women on the brink of childbirth and people close to dying would be carried to the neighboring island of Rineia. The whole of the known world of that age was aware of the sacredness of the island and of its uniqueness.

Visitors coming from the neighbouring islands are not there on an educational trip; they have rather embarked on a lifetime experience. And, as if by magic, the sacredness of the island lives on: the multitudes of people, who flock to share the island’s uniqueness, can do nothing but just visit it. The archaeological experience is the one and only activity the island is about. Its enchanting landscape is home to nobody. History is thus repeating itself: in a place of such importance, no person is ever born or dies.

It is very unique, the statues are beautiful, all outside in the open. There is no electricity on the island. There is a shop to purchase literature and other items. There are large mosaic floors of homes out in the elements and they still have colors in the tiles an are in good shape. If you are interested look up the ferry schedule to the island, it is very close to Mykonos. Could not believe all that they have, good signs explaining what you are looking at and the museum is excellent!

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

We were just in Mykonos and had the best day. We spent the day at Paradise beach - chairs & umbrella were inexpensive (@ 10€), beach was beautiful and bar service was great. We walked over the beach dunes and through the next beach to Nikolas Taverna for lunch - which was OUTSTANDING. It's a beach front tavern, right on the water. We ate with some friends and ended up spending 2.5 hours eating and drinking and enjoying the views. Couldn't recommend them enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went to Paradise beach last time we were in Mykonos last year. It's very easy to get the local bus which goes from the bus station right where the shuttle bus from the port drops you. If you tender in I believe the tenders drop you there too.

Just look for the signs on the bus saying Paradise. Buses run around every 20 minutes. It costs a couple of euros and takes about 20 minutes. On the way back you can get off in town.

We're also trying to decide which beach to visit while on Mykonos, we have kids with us (11 & 13). I've read that Paradise can get rowdy later on in the day, has anyone who has been there noticed if there were many kids around or mostly adult only? Any other beaches that would be more family-oriented? Thanks

We're also trying to decide which beach to visit while on Mykonos, we have kids with us (11 & 13). I've read that Paradise can get rowdy later on in the day, has anyone who has been there noticed if there were many kids around or mostly adult only? Any other beaches that would be more family-oriented? Thanks

Hi! I would say that Paradise is appropriate for kids in the daytime - it was not rowdy during the day at all. However, at about 5pm, the music started getting loud and people were dancing on tables and couches :)

If you go to the far right side of Paradise Beach, as you're facing the sea, it's away from the action and much quieter down there. Having said that I walked all the way along both times we were there last year during the day and didn't find it rowdy either time.

Normally we wouldn't mind travelling on bus, but we are going to be travelling with a 3 and 5 y.o. in tow and their tandem stroller. How hard and expensive is it to arrange for private car/taxi?

Normally we wouldn't mind travelling on bus, but we are going to be travelling with a 3 and 5 y.o. in tow and their tandem stroller. How hard and expensive is it to arrange for private car/taxi?

Taxis are not easy as we were told there are only 30 on the island. Never saw one all day until we were returning to the bus station. Did not look into private car option.

We waited for the bus for a bit - we must have just missed one & decided just to rent a car for the day. It was about 60euro for the day, which we split with another couple. Very easy to drive around the island, and well worth it for us, as we could then come and go as we pleased, without worrying about the bus schedule. Hope that helps!

Kpd21880.....how long did it take you to get to Nikolas Taverna from Paradise Beach? We love Paradise Beach but didn't realize that the tavern is at the next beach. Maybe we will try this for lunch if it's not to difficult a walk!

Kpd21880.....how long did it take you to get to Nikolas Taverna from Paradise Beach? We love Paradise Beach but didn't realize that the tavern is at the next beach. Maybe we will try this for lunch if it's not to difficult a walk!

I would say it took us about 20 minutes to walk, though we were not in a hurry and stopped a few times to take pictures from the cliffs. The path over the rocks and dunes is a bit "rugged". It's not a difficult walk (per my standards- we are 38 years old and in reasonably good shape), but it is uphill on the way there and, of course, since you're walking over the cliffs, it's uneven and a bit rocky. Nikolas Taverna is on Agia Anna beach, so we just climbed over the cliffs (you'll see that there is a well-worn path in the cliffs, from many other doing the same little hike!) and once we were on the other side, we just put Agia Anna into our Google Maps app and it was easy to find. If you ask any of the beach attendants on Paradise Beach, they'll point you in the right direction! For sure go!! It was one of the best (and least expensive!) meals of our trip. Our group of 8 ate & drank at Nikolas Taverna for about 2.5 hours and the total bill for ALL of us was $140! Hope you go and enjoy it! Let me know if you have any more questions and I am happy to answer.