Speculation on Maiden World Cruise

OceanLiner

The Maiden World Cruise has a segment from Dubai to Southampton, M703-4, leaving Dubai on March 11, and passing through the Suez Canal on the way to Southampton.

As a point of conversation, and considering the state of world affairs, does this segment look viable from the point of safety and insurability to the ship? Do you think that the QM2 might use her amazing speed to divert around the Horn and come up the African coast? Could Cunard alter the prior segment to allow extra time to bypass the Med and get to Southampton on time?

I'm wondering if cruise lines have started diverting cruises to avoid these hot spots, just as they divert to avoid huricanes. I have always thought that one of the greatest advantages of a vacation at sea is that the ship can divert to avoid problems which is not a possibility on a land based vacation.

"As a point of conversation, and considering the state of world affairs, does this segment look viable from the point of safety and insurability to the ship? Do you think that the QM2 might use her amazing speed to divert around the Horn and come up the African coast?"

---------------------------------------------------------

I am booked on the full World Cruise. We have been discussing this for the past 2 weeks. I sincerely hope that the itinerary changes. If not, we may cancel. My spouse is concerned about traversing the Suez Canal, with good reason. I didn't want to bring this up, so glad you did. So much planning went into this for us, and now the possibility of cancelling has me upset.

A lot can happen in that time. We saw some of the new security items on board our January cruise, including the sonic device which thwarted the pirates who attempted to board the Seabourn cruise. Cunard is not going to risk passenger or ship if it does not look safe. No one has forgotten the Achille Lauro and Leon Klinghoffer.

Karie,

Who is still horrified at that awful incident.

I think its too soon to start panicking about this. As Karie said a lot can happen in that time. We are booked on the QM2 Sydney to Dubai and have already booked our flights home from Dubai as we did them on our frequent flyer points. Luckily if things do change, we are covered with our travel insurance for the loss of points (cancellation charges).

As far as I know Dubai is pretty safe but its possible that they may consider changing the segment after that, but then which way would they go? If they decide to skip Dubai to divert from the whole area I will be disappointed but we will go with the flow and take whatever alternative is offered.

No way am I going to cancel this trip and let them win!

Cheers

Timmi

Are you sure you are any safer at home?

One can never be "sure" about anything. But one can be prudent and discerning by determining which areas might exponentially increase one's exposure to danger.

"One can never be "sure" about anything. But one can be prudent and discerning by determining which areas might exponentially increase one's exposure to danger"

--------------------------------------------------------

I agree 100%. And believe it or not, Cunard will have to decide pretty darn fast, as other ports may require visas, and the travel documents have to be prepared and printed and mailed.

I for one, will want to know which ports would be changed before final payment. From what I have read here, missed ports are not a big deal to Cunard.

Well keep away from Orlando. There have been 37 murders there so far this year.

A point well-taken. US law enforcement and homeland security could certainly take some lessons from Scotland Yard. Thank God for their most recent diligence!

It would take weeks extra for QE2 to divert around the Horn, even without port stops. I think things would have to get much more serious for Cunard to consider doing that with all the disruption it would cause to following voyages.

If you are booked on it just go.

David.

I am going to Key West at the end of October, for a convention, as I do everyyear. I was looking into taking Amtrak down last Friday. A co-worker asked me if I was afraid to fl, or if I thought more people would consider not flying now, after the latest incident. I replied, no. I am simply sick of the hassles of flying. A train is quite comfortable. (I used to take the train to see my parents all the time in the Philadelphia area., including the SEPTA, local commueter, after Amtrak to Philly) You can get up and walk around, there is usually a dining or bar car or lounge or both. There are generally roomier seats, roomier aisles, and less of a sardine feel. I already have difficulty with flying due to my girth (all of my weight is in my stomach, disproportionately, one of the joys of prednisone weight) so I sometimes am humiliated to have to ask for seatbelt extension- After working myself up into an exhausted overheated sweattrying to suck it in and position the belt ow enough to miss most of my stomahc, all within the confines of those seats with no leg room to stretch in. I struggle to fit my bag under the seat in front of me, or have to cimb over others and do the clumsy dance if I want to access anything during flight. I always get the 7 year old in the seat behind me rythmically kickng the back of my seat for two hours. Or the baby, screaming with colic and aching ears from the pressure. I have had TSA pull all of my underwear or tampons out of my carryon for the world to see, and dump my pens from my purse and comment on how many I have, derisively. (Okay, so I have a thing for stationary supplies, yet can never find a working pen, of the right color, when I need one! <LOL>) I have had them question an epi-pen, with prescription attached, and nearly make me miss my plane while they languidly check with their supervisor in another room. This is epinephrine, for use in an emergency in the case of anaphylactic shock, from various causes, most likely an allergic reaction- Death can result within 20 minutes if epinephrine is not given. Additionally, I easily get overheated, dry-throated and start choking as a result, sending me into an asthmatic fit, turning purple-faced, (Lovely, I assure you, and now I can't bring on a gel face blotch- cover-up? Not that I do, mind you! <G> Just that I resent that I can't!) and getting weak and struggling to breathe. For that reason, I carry a couple of water bottles, usually starting out frozen so they turn to ice water as the ice melts. The added hassles of flying, though I do love to fly, are not worth it any more. You need to arrive at least two hours early, have to pay for long term parking, and it just genereally is an unpleasant expereince. I have collapsed in some of Florida's best airports! Itend to carry too much, and hate to ask for help, feeling it is my own fault for bringing too mcuh stuff. I struggle to get my overburdened self down long hallways (who is it who gets those flights from the very first gate. I assure you, it is NEVEr me! I am always at the one on the very farthest end! Always!)

Having said all of this (poor me, poor, poor pitiful me!) I will repeat what I said to my co-worker. Of the thousands of flights daily all over just this country- What are the chances that I willl be on the particular flight on the particular day that someone chooses to do some dastardly deed (and makes it through security)? OTOH, what are the chances that I could skip in the bathtub and conk my head on the tile wall and drown on a given day? Yet I don't avoid baths! (Honest! I don't!) I could get run over walking to the end of my driveway to get the morning paper! Or bit by a rabid raccon, (There is a family of five, living in the woods and hanging out under m deck- We got pictures of the babies tonight! None of them are rabid, as far as I kow. Nor the resident skunk and skunkling, nor the possum family who also visit nocturnally, regularly!)

That said, Yes, it is true. One cannot blissfully, blithely skip into a danger zone without being fully cognizant.

And as we all know from this year's earlier events, Cunard can and will change ports at will, and has that right, even to the extent of making a cruise into a line voyage, with no stops whatsover, which, after all, isn't what most people take a segment of the wolrd cruise for!

So, I would watch the news, keep in mind that there are dangers right in London (or Connecticut, or Florida) and ask yourself if you'd rather die in a rocking chair at the old folks home or visiting some far-flung culture, full of mystery, history and wonder!

As I said last week, I Do intend to die sliding full-bore into home plate, not watching from the soft seats in the stands. (Although the beer in hand is a nice idea!)

Karie,

who is not afraid to take a big bite out of the sandwich of lilfe. But prefers that it not be pickles and peanut butter, with chocolate chips and mustard.

I would watch the news, keep in mind that there are dangers right in London (or Connecticut, or Florida) and ask yourself if you'd rather die in a rocking chair at the old folks home or visiting some far-flung culture, full of mystery, history and wonder!

Die?:eek: I don't intend to die. Ever.:) (OK I'll be sadly disappointed one day:( ).

If Cunard's insurer says "No Suez" then the ship has no alternative than to change the itinerary.

That's when the cruiselines starting changing the itineraries... when the insurance companies tell them to!

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Scotland Yard AND American Homeland Security worked together uncovering this latest plot in the making.

As to your comment about Orlando:

The murder rate in London has doubled in 12 months to reach one of its highest levels ever, according to the most recent Home Office statistics, which have been leaked to the Telegraph.

In the final three months of last year there were 61 murders in the capital, compared with just 31 in the same quarter, the previous year. The figure is the highest total for the last three months of any year, according to the Metropolitan Police's published figures

Well keep away from Orlando. There have been 37 murders there so far this year.

A point well-taken. US law enforcement and homeland security could certainly take some lessons from Scotland Yard. Thank God for their most recent diligence!

The murder rate in London has doubled in 12 months to reach one of its highest levels ever, according to the most recent Home Office statistics, which have been leaked to the Telegraph.

eh....in 2004 (the story, here: http://*****.com/yt6ef ) is two and a half years old.......meanwhile, a (slightly) more recent story (Jan 05) points out that New York is now 'the safest large city in America', with a murder rate of 6.9 per 100,000, while dangerous London is way up there at......2.4.....When American tourist officials talk about crime in the UK (which has its problems - mainly theft of mobile phones/MP3 players) the ONE statistic they don't talk about is the murder one.....

http://*****.com/fvspx

Peter

Why be concerned when, according to the White House, things are coming along just fine.... :eek:

America hasn't been attacked since 9-11. So how are things in Great Britain?

Fact is, none of us are safe from radical Islamofacists.

So why take pot shots at Orlando, Guernsey? Did you have any particular reason, or do you just like throwing stones from your glass house?

So why take pot shots at Orlando, Guernsey? Did you have any particular reason, or do you just like throwing stones from your glass house?

It wasn't Guernseyguy who introduced Orlando. And does it really matter? You can use any large city as an example.

It's neurotic Americans who demand 100% safety that are making travel so difficult for the rest of us.

And wannabe Prime Ministers over here, hyping up a danger that may or may not exist.

Guernseyguy is hardly in a glass house, living somewhere where bilking is regarded as serious criminality.....!

It wasn't Guernseyguy who introduced Orlando. And does it really matter? You can use any large city as an example.

It's neurotic Americans who demand 100% safety that are making travel so difficult for the rest of us.

And wannabe Prime Ministers over here, hyping up a danger that may or may not exist.

Guernseyguy is hardly in a glass house, living somewhere where bilking is regarded as serious criminality.....!

I think you'll find I did not introduce the question of the relative crime rates, nor even mention Orlando.....but since the topic was brought up, thought it pertinant to introduce a few facts.

And as to those 'Islamofacists', are they different from Judeofascists or Christianfacists? I don't recall us describing the Irish Republican Army, or the Irgun, with those labels. Why pick on Muslims? Yes, there are wicked people in this world, of all religions - demonising only one of them is surely playing into the hands of facists of all religions.

Meanwhile, back on topic, I strongly recommend you cancel your World Cruise on the QM2 - its a big, bad world out there - frankly I'm amazed you get out of bed in the morning! Stay home - you are (almost) infinitely more likely to be murdered by an automobile, or a close family member, than anything else - so maybe you should go! Heck, decisons, decisions, decisions!

Peter

I take offense at the slur on Orlando, it came out of nowhere, for no reason.

As to your question, for starters:

Khobar towers

2 Embassies in Africa bombed

USS Cole

World Trade Towers

Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all the terrorists have been Muslim.

--------------------------------------------------------

And as to those 'Islamofacists', are they different from Judeofascists or Christianfacists? I don't recall us describing the Irish Republican Army, or the Irgun, with those labels. Why pick on Muslims

I take offense at the slur on Orlando, it came out of nowhere, for no reason.

'No reason' - is Florida not on the World Cruise Itinerary? You seem concerned about your safety on the World Cruise - but not in Florida? Or is it only 'abroad' that is dangerous? And when, exactly, was the last attack on a liner in the Suez canal?

Peter

Archived