Help Us Choose!

Aussie Teen

On the first leg of our APT cruise from Paris to Monte Carlo in August there are several choices to make for excursions. I suppose we could split up and cover them all but that defeats the purpose of sharing a holiday together!

The first is Maastrict or Floriade, The next is at Rudesheim where there are three alternatives - Siegfried's Museum, a gondola ride or a visit to a winery. Here I was wondering if some were close enough to do if there was free time as well.

The final one is between Colmar and the Black Forest.

Are any "umissables" or is it just a personal choice?

On the first leg of our APT cruise from Paris to Monte Carlo in August there are several choices to make for excursions. I suppose we could split up and cover them all but that defeats the purpose of sharing a holiday together!

The first is Maastrict or Floriade, The next is at Rudesheim where there are three alternatives - Siegfried's Museum, a gondola ride or a visit to a winery. Here I was wondering if some were close enough to do if there was free time as well.

The final one is between Colmar and the Black Forest.

Are any "umissables" or is it just a personal choice?

I did all those things while living in Germany (not on a river cruise). The Floriade is wonderful, I would go for that. On Rudesheim, I don't remember Siegfried's Museum, we did the winery, which was great, but the gondola might be a good choice.

Never been to Colmar, but I understand it is nice. Of course the Black Forest is great. Find out where you are going (Triberg?)

In general, I suggest that you research these sites on the Internet or with a guidebook, so you are more familiar with what is available.

Skip the Siegfried's museum unless you are really into mechanical music machines. IMO the gondola ride to the Niederwaldenkmal would be much more enjoyable although a trip to a winery could be fun. Just be aware that usually the winery trip is a sample tasting of what they want to sell you. You more than likely won't be wandering through the vineyards (which is something you can more or less do in Rudesheim on your own).

Also, if the black forest trip is simply the bus ride to the clock shop for buying a cuckcoo clock I would do the Colmar trip instead. The Black Forest is a beautiful place however on the included trips too much time is spent at the clock shop.

Archived