Progesso is a DUMP!!!!!

agrip76

We just got back from the VALOR 10/12 sailing. We were forced to go to progresso because there was bad weather in Belize. AFter going there I feel Carnival should pay me all of my money back for taking anyone there. The water is murky and dirty. The people harrass you and tried to get my husband prostitutes in front of me. The ruins are a joke and we were ripped off. The port is awful. You have to drive 4 miles just to get off the pier. Everyone that I talked to agreed that this place was a disgrace. IT is a poor dirty city full of people who think Americans are stupid and will pay anything for their junk.

DO not go here if you have a choice. I already wrote my letter to Canival to let them know they should be ashamed to take anyone there.

people don't go to Belize city, they go snorkling or scuba diving or cave tubing like we had planned. And I would choose honduras and belize over progresso any day. We missed both islands and this was their way of making it up to us?? a joke.

agrip. I'm sincerely sorry you and hubby didn't enjoy your stop at Progreso. There are really more options at this port to explore than most western ports. The water is not dirty, but it's not the chrystal clear Caribbean. It's the Gulf of Mexico. The Yucatan sits on a limestone shelf which causes the water to be too shallow close in for ships. The 4.5 mile long pier is primarily for commercial shipping. There are two major Mayan ruins, one of which is on the new Wonders of the World list. (Chitzen Itza) Although Uxmal is my favorite. Many small and medium size ruins. Merida, the state capitol, is a beautiful spanish colonial city of one million with buildings dating back to 1549 and the oldest cathedral of the Americas. Merida is home to four universitys. Bus service for the 21 mile ride is $3.00 pp RT. For those that don't wish to experience the local culture, there is a very nice all-inclusive, Reef Yucatan, that tours are available at the pier for $45 including food and drinks. On the outside chance that you may return someday, check out http://www.yucatantoday.com One of the best visitor's guides I've seen for any destination. YT you guys do a great job.

Hdawson I admire your patience and attitude and Clackey for your sense of humor...if the rest of the world could see the glass as half full instead of empty we would probably have a better world. I agree with you 100%.

To Agrip76: I'm sorry that Progreso wasn't for you and I hope your next port of call is more to your liking. Sincerely.

I must say that my wife and I have been to Progreso 4 times (3 on cruises) and have never been solicted by prostitutes nor have we felt unsafe at ANY time. From the moment we first went there we were awed and inspired by the people. Their humility, genuine happiness and overall contentment impressed us so, we are seriously contemplating retirement in either Progreso or Merida. We feel that Progreso is a diamond....you just gotta see past the coal and dirt and there it is in the soul and spirit of the people. If only I could be so content....(sigh)

I wonder how they really feel about Progresso??:D

The funny thing is after being in the Navy, people all over the world think American's are loaded and will buy just about anything. Plus many of these people make a living out of doing exactly that!

Sorry your experience was bad, but I will make sure when I go I will do my best to enjoy myself!

:)

Kingfish. Thanks for the kind words. Over the years, I've enjoyed introducing folks to a Mexico that they may not know. The Yucatan State isn't at all like Cancun, Cozumel or border towns. It's the real deal. Not at all contrived. The people are warm and friendly when given the chance. Some of my trips to Merida and the area have been traveling alone and I'm 69 yrs "old". LOL and with health issues. Never a problem. If needed there are modern hospitols in Merida. Besides the spanish colonial nature of Merida, it's also a modern, sophisticated city with strong ties to it's Mayan history/culture. Visiting Merida is similar to visiting Colonial Williamsburg, a "reproduction" of the past compared to Merida, a city that has existed in constant use for almost 500 yrs. As I said, THE REAL DEAL.

When staying in Merida my day starts by getting up at 7AM, heading to the sidewalk cafe on the plaza, drinking coffee (and smoking) while watching all the folks rushing off to work and/or classes. A privilege of the retired. lol

The people are proud of their past and working for their future.

I had a wonderful time in Progreso and a great side trip to the ruins at Dzibilchaltun!

My pictures from that day (taken from the top of the double-decker bus) show white sand and beautiful clear blue water. I'm wondering if the water was churned up by the same weather conditions that made it impossible for the OP's ship to go to Belize?

Before I went to Dzibilchaltun, I did some walking around and exploring on my own - SOLO - and was not bothered by anyone. I felt perfectly safe the entire time. I was not propositioned or harassed.

Our tour guide (this was through Autoprogreso, not a ship's tour) was partly of Mayan descent, and his pride in his heritage was clear. He spoke English well and was very informative.

Sounds like the OP just needed to vent their disappointment in not going to a port they were really counting on. When approaching a substitute port with that attitude, nothing's going to measure up to expectations, I guess.

Agrip,

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stop. I am one that likes Progreso for what it is, a mexican fishing village that is close to "REAL" Mexico, but to many it is a dump. That is what makes these boards so enlightening. You read the reviews and decide if this is the type of place that you would like to see. I've been fooled before. Everyone raved on Costa Maya. I've been there twice and really don't care to go back, but that is me. I can see that Progreso fits the same category for you.

Better luck next time.

P.S. Where were the prostitutes?;)

The men at one bar yell and scream at us that the beer is $1 at their bar. We go in and pay two dollars for two beers. Two others from the cruise walk in and we comment what a great deal $1 beers are. The ladies tell us they paid $4 each. So the man who sold us the dollar beers heard that and suddenly told us we owed him three more dollars each, that WE RIPPED HIM OFF!!!!! what a joke. the people think we are all stupid. As we are trying to leave the bar he says he will sell us beers for $2 dollars each. This was after my husband told him off. They tried to sell us fake cohibas for $150. Carnival made a huge mistake choosing this port as a replacement for Belize and Honduras. Everyone on our bus said the place was a wasteland. A Dump. If i wanted to see the REAL MEXICO I would have gone to Tiujuana. That place is heavan compared to Progreso

I have been to Progreso several times and NEVER experienced anything that you have described.

You may have some issues, but I don't think any of them have to do with Progreso.

For ruins, I recommend Uxmal. Plan on going there again in February.

I have been to Progreso several times and NEVER experienced anything that you have described.

You may have some issues, but I don't think any of them have to do with Progreso.

For ruins, I recommend Uxmal. Plan on going there again in February.

:) LMAO

Ya know, NOLA, I just KNEW we couldn't disagree on EVERYTHING!! And now I find there is common ground for us.....go figure :)

To get away, why didn't you go to the all-inclusive Reef Yucatan? Food and all drinks included. Beautiful pools, tennis courts, banana boat rides, massages. Seems like that would have been more your cup of tea.

Don't think so, I'm sure the food would be too hot/cold/spicy, the tennis court clay instead of natural grass, etc