Progesso is a DUMP!!!!!

agrip76

I really enjoyed ouir stop in Progresso. However, I booked a private tour guide ahead of time. He took us to Uxmal which we liked better than Chichen Itza or Tulum and then shopping in Merida. The downtown market in Merida was a great experience. :)

This is exactly what I want to do!!! Who was your tour guide???

To comment on earlier posts - I find there is a difference between tourists and travelers. Tourists expect everything to be nice and pretty and nothing bad will happen. Travelers roll with it, and enjoy the experience. Heck, I had money stolen out of my purse by airline security in Bermuda...and while that upset me, I don't go around saying bad things about Bermuda. When we pulled into Ochos Rios in the Navy, the Chaplain got propositioned by the prostitutes...Hysterical!!!!

If the orignial poster has said something like "Sorry, he's mine, senorita" and pinched DH's backside instead of being offended by the propositions, maybe they'd have better memories.

• 1 month later...

You just get off the bus and walk toward the beach, very easy! If you feel lost just ask anyone along the street. I was there in July with my husband and 2 daughters, ages 8 and 9, and we had a fun day! We walked to the beach and sat in front of Buddy's. The service was great, the drinks and food was great! My girls loved the beach at Progreso...lots of really cool seaweed to make into wigs... lots of seashells to find, nice easy slope into the warm water. They were in a paradise that so many posters on here weren't able to see and to me that's such a shame. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder! My youngest daughter spent quite awhile digging in the sand under our table to find buried treasure...by the end of the day she had 84 bottle caps that are proudly displayed in our home. She found the beauty, even though I was thinking, "could this new hobby she's found be any grosser?" We live in a very small farming community in Missouri. We have no beach, no palapas, no vendors. The girls were amazed that children younger than them were on the beach trying to sell bracelets and trinkets to the tourists. It really, really had an impact on my two! They have talked about those children alot since we've been home. We have wondered if they get to go to school, and what are their homes like. It opened our eyes to things we never would have seen had we not visited Progreso. But, please, don't get me wrong...it wasn't a pity party at all. Just an awareness of life outside our safe little community. We had a great time, played on the beach, ate chicken quesadillas, I had lovely Margaritas that were 2 for $5.00. The young man from Jacksonville, FL that manages Buddy's gave free tequila shots to everyone at our table that wanted one. They made sure we had fun and that we had good service. The vendors did come around and ask us to buy things, and we did buy some bracelets and things like that. A sweet looking nun that looked to be 80 or so came by and asked for money for orphans. The vendors were polite and funny, some even learned our names and kept coming back to see if we had changed our minds about purchasing something. The men played guitars and the guy with the iguana walked around. We didn't feel harrassed, more just like a party atmosphere. But, I'm a person that can find humor in almost anything. I would recommend Progreso to anyone...it's something you need to see at least once! But when you do see it, do yourself and your traveling companions a favor and go in with your eyes open!

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter and I visited Progreso this summer and had a good time. It is not a glitzy, resort town but rather more like the "real" Mexico. We wondered all over town and had NO problems and never even saw what I thought were prostitutes. We took the AutoProgreso tour to the Dzib ruins, shopped in the open market and loved the double decker bus tour.

When we pulled into Ochos Rios in the Navy,

Dang! We never pulled in there, and we were in the area a lot for ORSE exercises and the like (MK48 range).

I did get to see Naples. I wonder what the OP would have thought of that place? I was mesmerized by the number of condoms floating by the liberty launch on the way down to fleet landing. We were tied to a large pier, but due to the rats and "other" creatures there, we weren't allowed to walk - had to ride the launch. Of all my travels, I can say that was the only place I didn't feel safe, but that was just after I had gotten rolled (robbed) coming out of a cambio.

Progreso sounds like a much, much nicer place to me. I'll know for sure in 60 days!

• 1 month later...

Having read through the many comments on Progreso and Merida, we are going to take a cab to and from Merida when we dock in Progreso on December 13th. I've been to Progreso once, September 2009 and loved the beach and the pulpo tacos at Buddy's. I'm cruising with a first timer but he's traveled all over Europe. We are foodies and hope to find an eating experience to remember. Being from New Orleans, the chain restaurants and the tourist crap just doesn't cut it for us. Going for local and open for suggestions.

Are there any cab companies to avoid? Are pesos more appreciated than dollars?

Thanks again for both of your wonderful descriptions and detailed information about Merida.

Hola Crayphish!

I know where you are coming from; nothing worse than going to Rome and eating at Dominos Pizza. I have a couple of suggestions for you, restaurant-wise:

La Tradicion - authentic, home cooked Yucatecan food in a pleasant setting with no plastic tables and chairs. Try the Queso Relleno aka stuffed cheese. It's a classic here, one of my favorites and so far removed from most peoples idea of "Mexican" food that it is downright exotic. There are other dishes of course, as well.

La Pigua - If you are looking to see what we do with seafood, check this restaurant out. Again, no plastic and good service. Originally from neighbor state Campeche, this restaurant opened here about 5-6 years ago and specializes only in seafood. My favorite here is Calamares Sir Francis Drake; calamari (squid) fried in a little olive oil, tossed with some sliced almonds and chile. Very simple but so delicious.

Hope this helps!

There's more at lawsonsyucatan.com. Just click on the Casual Restaurant Critic at the top and start reading.

http://www.lawsonsyucatan.com/category/casual-restaurant-critic/

:)

Hola Crayphish!

I know where you are coming from; nothing worse than going to Rome and eating at Dominos Pizza. I have a couple of suggestions for you, restaurant-wise:

La Tradicion - authentic, home cooked Yucatecan food in a pleasant setting with no plastic tables and chairs. Try the Queso Relleno aka stuffed cheese. It's a classic here, one of my favorites and so far removed from most peoples idea of "Mexican" food that it is downright exotic. There are other dishes of course, as well.

La Pigua - If you are looking to see what we do with seafood, check this restaurant out. Again, no plastic and good service. Originally from neighbor state Campeche, this restaurant opened here about 5-6 years ago and specializes only in seafood. My favorite here is Calamares Sir Francis Drake; calamari (squid) fried in a little olive oil, tossed with some sliced almonds and chile. Very simple but so delicious.

Hope this helps!

There's more at lawsonsyucatan.com. Just click on the Casual Restaurant Critic at the top and start reading.

http://www.lawsonsyucatan.com/category/casual-restaurant-critic/

:)

Ah, now I am very hungry and wanting to stay in Progreso for 2 days instead of visiting Cozumel the next day. Thank you for the information you have shared on your website. I'm not sure which of the two restaurants we will choose but we will be dining at one of them. :D

Glad to be of help! And I forgot to answer your question regarding dollars vs pesos. The government recently put in an anti-money-laundering law that prohibits or discourages businesses from accepting US dollars since so many were popping up from unexplained sources if you know what I mean. I am not saying that you won't be able to use them but in established businesses it may be somewhat difficult if not impossible.

As for transportation, just hop on the Progreso-Merida bus. There are lots of options for transportation here in the forum as well, just have to dig around a bit.

Glad to be of help! And I forgot to answer your question regarding dollars vs pesos. The government recently put in an anti-money-laundering law that prohibits or discourages businesses from accepting US dollars since so many were popping up from unexplained sources if you know what I mean. I am not saying that you won't be able to use them but in established businesses it may be somewhat difficult if not impossible.

As for transportation, just hop on the Progreso-Merida bus. There are lots of options for transportation here in the forum as well, just have to dig around a bit.

WilliamLawson, Do you know how much and who I should ask for at the Pier for transportation for two wheelchairs? Also, do you know if we will be able to access the restaurants at Malecon Beach? thanks for the help! We're sailing out of NOLA Dec 11, 2010

Gammie - I do not know who to check with regarding wheelchairs at the pier but I suspect cruiseship personnel will help with that, no?

Merida and I guess Mexico in general is not real wheelchair friendly and it is only recently that any kind of awareness was created regarding access. The malecon is a long strip of wide sidewalk that should present no problems. The restaurants along there have different levels of access.

Does this help?

Wow. We thought Progresso was cool, we loved walking around the market, the double decker bus, we sat on the beach and had great salsa and guacamole, we had a great time. We are leaving soon on the Valor, and we would be thrilled if they canceled Belize and took us to Progresso! In fact, we would trade Cozumel for it! We heard BZE isnt going to be that great of a day, and the ruins are no big deal, plus we heard about crime there, and dont wander off the main path, ect. Maybe you were just mad that you didnt go where you were scheduled to go? Would you have prefered they canceled Belize and didnt go anywhere else? Remember, they had to make a quick decision when BZE was closed, and see what dock was available, affordable, and close enough not to change all of your ports.

Gammie - I do not know who to check with regarding wheelchairs at the pier but I suspect cruiseship personnel will help with that, no?

Merida and I guess Mexico in general is not real wheelchair friendly and it is only recently that any kind of awareness was created regarding access. The malecon is a long strip of wide sidewalk that should present no problems. The restaurants along there have different levels of access.

Does this help?

Sorry it took so long for me to answer, but yes...you did help a lot! Thanks for the info. We're going to go to Malecon and enjoy drinks and food :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Progresso was my first stop on my first cruise. I was taken back by the poverty that I perceived but the people were very nice. They were not belligerent like the Americas in the French Quarter. The " encouragement " to buy their stuff really took some getting used to but it was safe and made me realize this was probably the real Mexico. Not Cozumel with jewelry stores one after the other. I enjoyed it, got in the water and made the most of my stop. I would like to go back for another afternoon.

I am sorry that this posting has been revived. It was posted six years ago, and the OP has not posted in over five years. We are cruisers, primarily HAL repositioning cruises, and live five miles from Progreso during the winter. I understand how some cruisers may not find Progreso to their liking.

The Yucatan is an area that should be experienced, even it is only for a day. The people of Progreso and Merida are trying hard to make cruisers experiences enjoyable while the local residents try to make a living. Progreso is not like many other cruise ports. We part time residents know that cruisers may want a Disneyland like experience, but they will see vibrant, proud communities trying to make a life for their families.

Enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from Progresso on our second trip there. Both times I have been really underwhelmed. This time we went into Merida.

I think it is mainly because I live in San Antonio Texas. I basically live in a town just like Merida. Going to this part of Mexico just feels like going to another part of the town I live in. There is nothing all that great about it. It is OK, the people are friendly, the history is impressive, but there is absolutely 0 wow factor.

I guess it just doesn't feel like a vacation spot to me.

• 1 month later...

On our first cruise, we stopped in Progreso. Granted I wasn't very impressed, it was October, and not much was open on the beach front. We did rent one scooter ($25 for the day) and drove it to Merida.... the ride was great, and the food and some random food truck was fantastic! I'm hoping that our next trip in March, there will be more places open ... the kids will be with us this time, and I want to just lounge on the beach front! :)

• 1 month later...

I have been to Progreso 3 times and I don't think it's a dump. It's certainly not like Cancun or Cozumel, but I've always enjoyed myself. The people I've dealt with were friendly, maybe a little pushy, but that's just the way of life there. They are trying to make money.