I recently asked a similar question on the TA Trapani forum and got the following reply - it seems that the Port is very close to the old city centre.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g494955-i9813-k6586096-Morning_in_Trapani-Trapani_Province_of_Trapani_Sicily.html#50287758

I also asked about the Open Top Bus tour that we have been recommended but didn´t get a reply - I will ´bump´ up my question again today to see if I get any response this time.

will be going here on dream 17th august just wondered how easy it is to get to the town on your own ,,distances ,,buses etc thanks in advance:)

Hi - Trapani is a very easy walk-off port. The ship berths right in the old town which is a kind of promontory which you can walk around. There is a fort-type structure at the end (to the left as you come out of the port) and on the opposite side across from the berth is a beach - I got the feeling that it wasn't the sandiest one I've seen but it seemed quite popular with the locals.

The old town has lovely old buildings and we were very impressed with it but it was a Sunday so it was pretty well closed-down and very quiet. I notice you are there on a Saturday so I'm sure it will benefit from the atmosphere of being busy and shops open etc. There were a few street cafes open when we were there (for our benefit I should think) but I guess that the squares will be full and bustling on a Saturday.

Here are some pics - on the first one you will see the ships' berths on the left of the promontory - the small fairly narrow beach on the right. Looking at the pics has reminded me that I think the couple of beach bays may be man made with break-waters to retain the sand.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=trapani+pictures&qpvt=trapani+pictures&FORM=IGRE

We though Trapani was lovely - but would have been even better had we visited when it wasn't so quiet on a day other than Sunday.

We did do the Thomson half day trip to Erice which we thought was absolutely charming - you go up a cable car and I can recommend that -you would still have plenty of time to see Trapani as well if you have a full day there. I believe it's possible to get to Erice independently - you need to get a bus to the cable car then you walk around Erice - there isn't any traffic there really anyway. f you think of going there it may be worth researching buses or taxis to get to the cable car yourself. (It's only a few miles)

Enjoy your trip. Some great ports on this one. :)

thankyou both so much,,kruzseeka i sail on the 17th so i think we will be there on a monday ..cant wait:)

Oops! Oh well Monday will be better than Sunday - but even though it was so quiet we really did like Trapani so I'm sure you'll have a good day.

Here are some pics of Erice - from the first one you can see the cable cars going up towards Erice and this is the view you get looking back towards Trapani - the Old Town where you berth is the bit sticking out into the sea.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=erice+pictures&qpvt=erice+pictures&FORM=IGRE

What views!

It's easy to do both Trapani and Erice on your own.

In the Trapani cruise terminal building there is a desk, where they sell tour tickets.

We wanted to go to Erice, so for €18pp we bought a return tickets by taxi/mini bus, including return tickets on the cable car, http://www.funiviaerice.it/indexeng.php and a voucher for 2 delicious pastries from a patisserie in Erice.

When we got to Erice there were tickets deals available to visit six historic buildings for €5.00. As far as I remember the Ship's tour is £33 but that includes entry to the historic building and a guide.

We shared with another couple from the Majesty and the taxi was waiting for us at the appointed time to take us back to the ship. We then had plenty of time to look around Trapani on our own.

It's easy to do both Trapani and Erice on your own.

In the Trapani cruise terminal building there is a desk, where they sell tour tickets.

We wanted to go to Erice, so for €18pp we bought a return tickets by taxi/mini bus, including return tickets on the cable car, http://www.funiviaerice.it/indexeng.php and a voucher for 2 delicious pastries from a patisserie in Erice.

When we got to Erice there were tickets deals available to visit six historic buildings for €5.00. As far as I remember the Ship's tour is £33 but that includes entry to the historic building and a guide.

We shared with another couple from the Majesty and the taxi was waiting for us at the appointed time to take us back to the ship. We then had plenty of time to look around Trapani on our own.

Fantastic info Travellingtaff! That's so helpful. :) I'm adding that to my stock of 'useful info' for possible future cruises. If we go to Trapani again we'll certainly be following your advice on this one. Thanks again. :)

thanks, some info on calvi would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, delapsthrowingarm, we were on the Majesty, Italian Flavours Cruise, out of Corfu, which included, Trapani, Malta, Messina, Naples and Rome, you must be on the Island Escape out of Palma.

thanks, some info on calvi would be greatly appreciated.

Calvi - beautiful, one of our favourite Med ports of call. You are tendered in, right into the town. We went ashore early and explored the Citadel and town (nice feel, cafes on waterfront, tourist shops but still had a feel of a town for the locals - not so touristy that it had lost it's own character). We went back to the ship for lunch then took off again with our swimmies. Best beach we've found in the Med. I wouldn't bother with a trip to anywhere else as we loved Calvi so much.

Sorry, delapsthrowingarm, we were on the Majesty, Italian Flavours Cruise, out of Corfu, which included, Trapani, Malta, Messina, Naples and Rome, you must be on the Island Escape out of Palma.

im on the dream 17th august palma trapani..sorrento..rome..calvi...palamos ..palmareally looking forward to it despite some luke warmish reviews.

Hi there, we were on Dream last year and Trapani was one of my favourite ports.

The ship docks literally in town, I remember waking up and looking out of my window and there was a sign opposite me with "welcome to Trapani" you can get off and walk to the heart of the town in 5 minutes (and I have walking difficulties).

The open top bus starts from 50 yards away from the ship, make sure you purchase your ticket in the office prior to getting on.

The town is really nice, some lovely buildings, good restaurants and a fantastic ice cream parlour :)

from what I remember, the prices were quite good, not expensive.

Have a walk through the narrow streets and soak up the Scicilian atmosphere.

Hi there, we were on Dream last year and Trapani was one of my favourite ports.

The ship docks literally in town, I remember waking up and looking out of my window and there was a sign opposite me with "welcome to Trapani" you can get off and walk to the heart of the town in 5 minutes (and I have walking difficulties).

The open top bus starts from 50 yards away from the ship, make sure you purchase your ticket in the office prior to getting on.

The town is really nice, some lovely buildings, good restaurants and a fantastic ice cream parlour :)

from what I remember, the prices were quite good, not expensive.

Have a walk through the narrow streets and soak up the Scicilian atmosphere.

cheers tony will spare you a thought when im tucking into one of those icecreams:D

Archived