Tromso-advice please

It looks like we missed out on the organised cable car trip in Tromso for our cruise starting next week. We have a trip planned for the afternoon, but is it possible to do a DIY cable car trip in the morning, and if not what else can you recommend.

We haven't organised anything for Trondheim either, so would really appreciate any info on places to see there as well.

Sweby

We got off the ship early, took the shuttle into Tromso (not far) then walked over the bridge (quite far to walk - it's deceptively long!) all the way to the cable car and beat the organised groups by quite a piece. There wasn't much of a queue when we got there. We went up the mountain, walked a bit on the top, looked around rather leisurely, had a coffee at the cafe, came down the cable car (long queues by this time) and walked back into the centre (couldn't look round the Cathedral as there was a service on) but did spend time looking around Tromso before getting back to the ship - for lunch!

After that we walked across the road from the berth and spent a couple of hours in the fabulous University Botanical Gardens (free entry) which were amazing - a riot of colour in July. It features in Monty Don's book, 80 Gardens of the World (or some such title).

So you can see we did a lot in a day! And I think it's entirely possible for you to do the cable car trip in the morning because as you will see there is scope for you to save time on how we did it to make sure you get back in good time for your afternoon trip. You may well be able to get a taxi to the cable car and short-cut the time we spent walking also could curtail the time we spent on the top by quite a bit. You can judge how much time you have when you get back into Tromso whether or not you can spare the time to look around a little or head straight back to the ship. I'd say it's worth trying to get up the cable car if you can and especially if it's good weather - the view is superb.

Alternatively, the Botanical Gardens would be something you could do in the morning - a relaxed stroll, there is seating and a little cafe there too. It's almost opposite the port. You leave the port go under the underpass to cross the main road there and the Botanical Gardens are pretty much there. (We asked the guardon the port gate who showed us where to go).

We loved Tromso - one of our favourite Norwegian ports (well apart from the gob-smacking Fjords anyway). I'd love to go again, and weather permitting probably do exactly the same again!

We've been to Trondheim and just walked around but it was a bit damp and it was Sunday and pretty quiet and shut-down so we didn't get the best impression however it seemed to have a decent shopping centre (although closed!) situated along a river with attractive areas, an photogenic waterfront with wharf-style buildings and across the river we walked up to some old fort(?) I think it was with grassy embankments which in the absence of anything else was quite interesting. I think on a better day it would have been a nice stop. Sorry can't be much more help with that.

Enjoy your trip. We loved that itinerary. :)

We got off the ship early, took the shuttle into Tromso (not far) then walked over the bridge (quite far to walk - it's deceptively long!) all the way to the cable car and beat the organised groups by quite a piece. There wasn't much of a queue when we got there. We went up the mountain, walked a bit on the top, looked around rather leisurely, had a coffee at the cafe, came down the cable car (long queues by this time) and walked back into the centre (couldn't look round the Cathedral as there was a service on) but did spend time looking around Tromso before getting back to the ship - for lunch!

After that we walked across the road from the berth and spent a couple of hours in the fabulous University Botanical Gardens (free entry) which were amazing - a riot of colour in July. It features in Monty Don's book, 80 Gardens of the World (or some such title).

So you can see we did a lot in a day! And I think it's entirely possible for you to do the cable car trip in the morning because as you will see there is scope for you to save time on how we did it to make sure you get back in good time for your afternoon trip. You may well be able to get a taxi to the cable car and short-cut the time we spent walking also could curtail the time we spent on the top by quite a bit. You can judge how much time you have when you get back into Tromso whether or not you can spare the time to look around a little or head straight back to the ship. I'd say it's worth trying to get up the cable car if you can and especially if it's good weather - the view is superb.

Alternatively, the Botanical Gardens would be something you could do in the morning - a relaxed stroll, there is seating and a little cafe there too. It's almost opposite the port. You leave the port go under the underpass to cross the main road there and the Botanical Gardens are pretty much there. (We asked the guardon the port gate who showed us where to go).

We loved Tromso - one of our favourite Norwegian ports (well apart from the gob-smacking Fjords anyway). I'd love to go again, and weather permitting probably do exactly the same again!

We've been to Trondheim and just walked around but it was a bit damp and it was Sunday and pretty quiet and shut-down so we didn't get the best impression however it seemed to have a decent shopping centre (although closed!) situated along a river with attractive areas, an photogenic waterfront with wharf-style buildings and across the river we walked up to some old fort(?) I think it was with grassy embankments which in the absence of anything else was quite interesting. I think on a better day it would have been a nice stop. Sorry can't be much more help with that.

Enjoy your trip. We loved that itinerary. :)

Thanks kruzseeka, thought you would know. That's what we will try to do. Plus it will be the only cable car ride of the trip. Only a couple of days left now

Sweby

Archived