Options for getting between Minterey and Carmel

Question: We will be arriving on a cruise in late September and we were wondering what options are available for visiting Carmel on a cruise that stops in Monterey. Renting a car is one option but we were curious if there are any public buses or do the Cruiselines offer any sort of excursion shuttle buses. We do not want a tour. We are just interested in transportation. Any help appreciated.:)

Thankyou.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Monterey, so I can't comment on whether cruise ships or merchants provide shuttles. However, maybe I can answer some questions. Carmel is about 6 miles from Monterey. I believe bus #24 runs from the Transit Plaza to the town of Carmel-by the Sea and to the Carmel Mission. The Transit Plaza is a few blocks from the area where your tenders will drop you. You could also rent a car or take a taxi. In Monterey, many sites are within walking distance from the Fisherman's Wharf area (I think that's where tenders land). You could walk the Path of History (seeing old adobes, gardens, museums, the Court House, and San Carlos Cathedral (the Royal Presidio Chapel), which is the oldest building in Monterey, built in 1794. You could also walk to Cannery Row and the Aquarium.

• 2 months later...