Jeep Rental to see the other side of the island

gapeach1970

I stayed there for 10 days over the summer and rented from Rentadora Isis, which is a pretty well respected rental company, based on my investigation prior to going. Their Jeeps are 55.00 a day including insurance - though I don't know if a single day rental changes the price. No funny business with extra charges when I returned it and no issues with Credit Card fraud.

In case it matters, most of the vehicles are manual transmission and I know the cost to "upgrade" to an auto for the VW I rented was notable - like 20 bucks a day - were it a concern, you'd have to ask about auto Jeeps. Personally I'd rent a convertible VW Bug for 35.00.

I stayed there for 10 days over the summer and rented from Rentadora Isis, which is a pretty well respected rental company, based on my investigation prior to going. Their Jeeps are 55.00 a day including insurance - though I don't know if a single day rental changes the price. No funny business with extra charges when I returned it and no issues with Credit Card fraud.

In case it matters, most of the vehicles are manual transmission and I know the cost to "upgrade" to an auto for the VW I rented was notable - like 20 bucks a day - were it a concern, you'd have to ask about auto Jeeps. Personally I'd rent a convertible VW Bug for 35.00.

Really liking that idea of the VW convertible! Thanks for the pointer to Isis - here's the rate chart from their website:

Isis Rent A Car Rate Sheet

It might go without saying that a VW bug will be rather decrepit - this concept will either be wonderfully appealing (I love this thing - it's such a piece of junk!) or terribly appalling (this is awful - this thing is a piece of junk)

My brother had the Bug and it was beat and he loved it - I had a VW GOL for the same 35( slightly smaller than a Golf with NO features - no A/C and power nothing but it was a fun car to drive) I regretted not having the Bug, but I had kids to carry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone had any issues with driving in Cozumel? We've driven in other places and usually no problem. Acapulco was a disaster and would never drive there again. I've heard a few comments about driving in Cozumel/Cancun and people purposedly having accidents w/ you to get $$$. Any reason we should be concerned? We are experienced travelers, but wanting to make sure I've done my homework on this issue. Had I done my homework on this issue before our Acapulco trip I would have known to NEVER rent there. Just being cautious!

In Mexico if you have an accident it needs to be settled on the spot and if not jail is possible. It is possible some people id rental cars and try to make a buck. I would talk with the car rental company you are considering and find out exactly what coverage they provide IN Mexico. Also ask them for written copies of the liability for accidents in Mexico. Do not rest on coverage through your credit card or for what might be standard in the states. Mexican officials do not care.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

We have stayed in Cozumel in the past. Love it there. We rented a jeep from Avis on numerous occasions. They were right in our hotel. I just saw online they have a location at the pier as well. You can reserve online with them. Our first time there, we rented at their office in the hotel, and it was quite expensive. After I posted my review someone said, "Why didn't you reserve it online?" I looked it up and it was half the price. :/ I have never heard of that other rental car company. They may be good. My husband was nervous; he is the cautious one of us, however we both enjoyed it. It's interesting to see how different both sides of the island are. We stopped at a great beachside restaurant. We stopped at a tequila place and toured that. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of it, but it was a nice place, nice people. Anyway, the driving was easy, no stress other that just taking a couple of wrong turns that were easily rectified.