QV Theatre Boxes

JeanBart

Does anyone have any information on how the theatre boxes on the Queen Victoria will be working. Do you have to pre-book them? How much are they etc.

I have tried to find out from Cunard, but no-one I've contacted seems to know anything about them, or, I my say, about anything else for that matter.

Does anyone have any information on how the theatre boxes on the Queen Victoria will be working. Do you have to pre-book them? How much are they etc.

I have tried to find out from Cunard, but no-one I've contacted seems to know anything about them, or, I my say, about anything else for that matter.

As far as I know they for Grill pax only and if not occupied they can be "sold" at an extra charge for steerage.

However I have seen pictures taken from these boxes with awful sightlines towards the stage. Aparently safety laws now conduct a higher and different railings. Which means you have to see the partly through glass!

So I wonder how long the revenue generating initiative will last.

If I were you I wouldn't bother and just sit downstairs in the stalls. Excellent views overthere!

Reint

As far as I know they for Grill pax only and if not occupied they can be "sold" at an extra charge for steerage.

However I have seen pictures taken from these boxes with awful sightlines towards the stage. Aparently safety laws now conduct a higher and different railings. Which means you have to see the partly through glass!

So I wonder how long the revenue generating initiative will last.

If I were you I wouldn't bother and just sit downstairs in the stalls. Excellent views overthere!

Reint

Boxes in theatres were built for those who thought they were special to see and be seen by the riff-raff, not to see a performance. Hence they face more towards the audience than the stage. The boxes on NCL Jewel face each other across the main stalls and are reached from the upper level.

I don't think the boxes are reserved for Grill passengers.

I believe they are availalble to book on any given night as a special 'theatre package'. Of course you must pay for it, and I don't think a price has been set yet. Strike one up for the masterminds of onboard revenue management! ;)

This from a Cunard press release:

Among the theatre’s most distinguishing features is the collection of sixteen private boxes – the first-ever at sea – that frame the stage and afford 48 lucky guests exclusive seating from which to enjoy the performances. Seating from two to eight guests each depending on the size, the boxes are furnished with graceful armchairs and cocktail tables. Individual-sized Veuve Clicquot bottles and sweet or savory treats (depending on the show time) are served by white-gloved theatre ushers. Following the performance, guests have an opportunity to meet the cast backstage.

Ernie

Sure I read somewhere it would be $50 for 2 seat box. This includes the refreshments. So if there are two of you and you both get an 'individual-sized Veuve Cliquot bottle', ie a split, the charge is almost covered by the included champagne Sounds pretty reasonable to me, although of course I earn in sterling :) . When going to the theatre I usually have to take a box as my partner is quite agoraphobic. Have to say it really is very nice, even if you don't have the best sightlines.

I've received an email from cunard stating that the boxes will be available to all passengers & can only be booked once onboard. There will be a charge 'as yet the amount is unspecified but champagne and chocolates will be supplied' (quote).

Hope this helps,

Sharon

My pre-build Technical Info Sheet on QV concerning the RC Theatre states: ... "Classically elegant in style this grand auditorium will offer intricately fronted private boxes on the upper level along with a lounge area for Grill guests to enjoy dessert and coffee before the show." I will let you know what we find out of NY, Jan 13th!

In all likelihood, since Grill passengers are paying more, there should be some amenities such as this.

My pre-build Technical Info Sheet on QV concerning the RC Theatre states: ... "Classically elegant in style this grand auditorium will offer intricately fronted private boxes on the upper level along with a lounge area for Grill guests to enjoy dessert and coffee before the show." I will let you know what we find out of NY, Jan 13th!

In all likelihood, since Grill passengers are paying more, there should be some amenities such as this.

The theatre boxes on NCL Jewel were for suite passengers only and were usually empty.

I was in Princess Grill on QE2. I certainly didn't expect better seats in the lounge nor were they offered. As it is, Grill passengers have their own lounge and dining room. How much more do you want? If it's that important to be separated from the rest of the passengers, perhaps a smaller luxury ship is in order. At least there you will be guaranteed no crowds and all the passengers are treated in the same luxury standard. Personally I love Silversea. Given the choice of an all luxury ship like Silversea, or to be segmented in "Grill Class" on Cunard, I will pick Silversea every time. I just prefer not to stand out in the crowd, but some people like the attention.

In any case, Cunard has made several changes since the preliminary information originally released about QV. The box seats and lounge are no longer going to be exclusive to Grill passengers. It's now a revenue producing opportunity and will be available to all passengers for a price.

Ernie

The box seats and lounge are no longer going to be exclusive to Grill passengers. It's now a revenue producing opportunity and will be available to all passengers for a price.

Ernie

As a regular Grill passenger, I can't say that I can work up much enthusiasm either way. I'm assuming that if I ask the butler to sort it, then it'll be sorted. But we hardly ever go to the shows on QE2 - anything that is a "Show" we'll miss, as we would with singers. We've seen some good comedians, but ultimately this is a small proportion of the nights on board......

We normally choose seats where escape is easy.....

Having said that, I'd never book a box for the best view at a theatre.

Matthew

But we hardly ever go to the shows on QE2 - anything that is a "Show" we'll miss, as we would with singers.

Agreed. It's a cruise ship show not Broadway or Vegas. I don't need box seats.

The couple production shows I tried to attend on QE2 were so bad I walked out. They were better on QM2 and hopefully will be better on QV, but the shows on Cunard can't compare to other lines like Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I do enjoy the production shows, but only if there is at least marginal talent involved. The ice skating show on Royal Caribbean is as good as shows I've seen in Vegas and NY, but that is a rare exception.

Ernie

Just for fun (or so I thought) I sat in a box on HAL's WESTERDAM last March and it was AWFUL... the plexiglass "safety" thing was too high over the original rail and it was cloudy. UGH

That being said, I almost never go to shows on ships (inc Cunard) but on Westerdam I gave it a shot... and of course it to me it was cheap and tired. sigh. The price one pays for being a NYer.

-Michael

Archived