Carnival VIP EXCLUSIVE TULUM & CENOTE SWIM WITH MAYAN LUNCH excursion

97gstchick

Just wondering if anyone has done this excursion and what have you thought about it?

It seems to have a lot to offer but is kind of pricey at 139.99 per person. The reviews on Carnivals site is very positive.. Just looking to see if anyone had their own review they would discuss here?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Any tour going from Coz to Tulum will be a long day, involving a 45 minute ferry ride from Coz to Playa del Carmen, a bus to Tulum, a short trip to the beach, and then reverse the process to get back to your ship. I would only visit the Mayan ruins on the mainland through a ship sponsored tour - the potential for transportation issues causing you to miss the ship are too risky for me to consider a private excursion.

I have my eye on that excursion, too. Hoping someone here can offer a review of it. There's a prepay savings that helps bring the price down, but even at $140 it looks like you get a lot for your money.

Yes I was hoping others here have reviews as well. The Carnival reviews are great about the tour, but I always take those with a grain of salt. I agree you definitely do get a lot for your money on this tour.

Any tour going from Coz to Tulum will be a long day, involving a 45 minute ferry ride from Coz to Playa del Carmen, a bus to Tulum, a short trip to the beach, and then reverse the process to get back to your ship. I would only visit the Mayan ruins on the mainland through a ship sponsored tour - the potential for transportation issues causing you to miss the ship are too risky for me to consider a private excursion.

Yes definitely will only do this type of trip as long as it's ship sponsored. I wouldn't want to risk missing the boat on something with so much travel time on it.

We did this tour in May - it was great. We had plenty of time, though we did move quickly. We were whisked off to the ferry and crossed over to the mainland. Then we got in a passenger van (about a 12 person one) and had a guide stand up front. He told us a lot of facts and personal stories during the drive to Tulum. At Tulum, as we got off he gave us each an umbrella (to borrow, this was May) and offered free waters. Then we hopped on a tram which takes you near the ruins. He guided us around, telling us Myan stories and pointing out features and what they meant. Then we got a little bit of time to explore - and met up under some trees after. We used that time to go down to the beach and to get some photos. We then headed back to the tram. As we were walking to the bus (oh, on the tram they give you a form to purchase a necklace that is personalized. They make it while you do the TULUM tour) we stopped in and picked up the necklaces and then he took us into, I think, Frosties. A restaurant near the buses. He treated us all to a beer, nachos and some other appetizers. I only remember the nachos - they were so good. We then took the bus to a nearby village where we were handed towels and could change in a bathroom. They do not wait long, so rush. We walked to some canoes and canoed a small distance down the river and got out and walked to the cenote. It felt SOOOO good jumping in the first time. It was cold and it was a hot day. We swam and then took turns going up to a high rock and jumping in. I could have stayed longer - but it was long enough to have fun and cool down. We then walked down a village road to the eating area. The food was being prepared and we went through a line and got chicken/pork rice and some other things. It was all good. Afterwards the guide showed us a few buidings and we went in one where a mom was watching two boys. They were napping (but not asleep) in a hammock, so it was kind of ackward, but interesting too. We then took the bus back to the ferry and waited a bit until it filled up. Half the people were asleep on the ferry ride. We had about 30 minutes in the port shops before rushing back to the ship. But we were back on in plenty of time - and ready for showers!

Edited by 4-me

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...