Waldorf Hilton or London Park Lane

We are staying 3 nights in London Post Cruise and trying to decide the best place to stay. Some background: I have achieved the highest level of the frequent stay program at both the Hilton and Intercontinetal changes. Either stay will be paid for with points so, in this case, cost is not in the equation.

What I am looking for - is location, updated, clean rooms and amenities. We are looking for something close to a tube.

General impressions of these hotels would be appreciated.

We are staying 3 nights in London Post Cruise and trying to decide the best place to stay. Some background: I have achieved the highest level of the frequent stay program at both the Hilton and Intercontinetal changes. Either stay will be paid for with points so, in this case, cost is not in the equation.

What I am looking for - is location, updated, clean rooms and amenities. We are looking for something close to a tube.

The Park Lane Hilton meets your criteria as a hotel but its location although central is not that brilliant on Park Lane. Hyde Park Corner tube is only 5 minutes walk but unless you eat in the hotel or one of the very expensive neighbouring restauarants you'll be using the tube every time you go out apart perhaps Buckingham Palace about a 10/15 minute walk. The Intercontinental by Hyde Park Corner is right next to the tube station and was reopened only about a year ago and is probably a better idea in the Mayfair area, one of the most exclusive areas of Central London.

The Waldorf is in a much better position by Covent Garden and you can walk to many of the sites and right next to Covent garden perhaps the major restauarant and people watching area. Unfortunately Covent Garden Tube is very cramped, even by London standards and access to platforms can be problematic at times, many people instead make for Leicester Sqaure. The Waldorf, although a comfortable hotel tends to get mixed reaction.

:D

I love, love, love the Hilton on Park Lane. The location is great - Hyde Park is across the street, it's a short walk to Knighstbridge with Harvey Nichols or Harrods. Mayfair is THE place to be in London. You won't feel crowded or pushed around.

And don't worry about eating. Shepherds Market is right behind the Park Lane and has lovely restaurants and a great shop with take-away food. Here are some options:

http://www.mayfair-london.co.uk/shepherd_market.htm

Another tip is try the Harvey Nichols Foodmarket. Harrods Food Stalls get all the attention but for good eating at a good price, the take-away section in Harvey Nichols is the best. Freshly made sandwiches are great for a picnic in Hyde Park, only a block away.

Transportation is a dream, with several tube lines within walking distance. Not only the Hyde Park station on the Piccadilly Line but also the Green Park Station on the Victoria and Jubilee Lines. Also, don't forget about using buses whilst in London. It's a great way to sightsee. Also, you can walk to Trafalgar Square along Piccadilly.

Also, the Park Lane treats Hilton Diamond members quite well. Send a short letter or call the GM before you arrive in London for the Diamond Touch.

Have a wonderful time.

If money/points are no object the Hilton Park Lane and Intercontinental Park Lane are the flagship hotels for the respective programmes you belong to. Both are virtually next door to each other. Given your criteria, the Intercontinental on paper is marginally better in that it only reopened recently after a big refurbishment and is right next to Hyde Park Corner Underground, (though the Hilton is only 200m away).

Whats best for you probably comes down to what services you require from the hotel, and ambiance which are of course personal judgements.

Given their lofty status, the Park Lane hotels position for most first time tourists wanting the main sights are not really A1, both are just on the edge of everything. In this respect both Hilton and Crowne Plaza/Intercontinental/Holiday Inn chains have several geographically better locations like the Waldorf - offering for most people better located but inferior, (but perfectly acceptable hotels) to the Park Lane duo.

If you want to shop, then I would suggest either the Hilton or the Intercontinental on Park Lane (Intercontinental is not exacty "on" Park Lane but at the bottom of it where it intersects with Piccadilly). From there you can easily take the Hyde Park Corner tube (Piccadilly line) to Knightsbridge or a bus to Oxford Street. The Waldorf, while close to Covent Garden, is not near any major shopping area and its nearest tube is Temple which is Circle/District Line.

My company uses the Hilton Parklane. I have booked a room there with points for May 09. I love the hotel, it is close to tube; if weather is nice u can walk to all the tourist attractions. The original Hard Rock Cafe is a block away. Hyde Park is accross the street. You can stroll thru the park and eat in one of the resturaunts. The Hilton itself is nice. The rooms are good; as a Diamond Member you will get treated well. The have a great fitness center, and the Concierge lounge is nice. You can eat breakfast in the lounge and have tea and scones for an afternoon snack. :)

Archived