Banana Coast instead of Roatan

CruiseDirections

Just booked an NCL cruise that will be going to the Banana Coast instead of Roatan. It is not finished yet but expected to be complete by November 2014. Some Luxury cruise lines have also contracted for this alternate port on the mainland. The concept drawings look interesting and there will be several excursions available. I have not heard any official announcements about this port switch.

Just booked an NCL cruise that will be going to the Banana Coast instead of Roatan. It is not finished yet but expected to be complete by November 2014. Some Luxury cruise lines have also contracted for this alternate port on the mainland. The concept drawings look interesting and there will be several excursions available. I have not heard any official announcements about this port switch.

It already is accepting ships...

Was an article in the USA Today Cruise Log blog last week.

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/gallery/5389009/the-caribbeans-newest-cruise-port-banana-coast/

There was a thread in here the day it opened, but apparently the discussion was removed, due to this being a board for the island of Roatan and not mainland Honduras.

So this thread will probably vanish soon too.

There's a site on the web for this.

http://www.bananacoast.com/index.html

Looks like an NCL version of Mahogany Bay. Probably Roatan getting too crowded.

I don't think it is an NCL version, since HAL from the Carnival lines is one of the first docking there...

I thought NCL was building a new facility in Belize, south of Belize City...

Not in Honduras...

I think Banana Coast is just an industrious developer, creating his own port stop out of nothing, like Costa Maya in Mexico.

Thanks for the info, I did not realize it was open already. I don't see a section with just Honduras.

Yeah, I went looking for the thread from last week, to link in here for the OP to read, but I couldn't find it.

Guess they need to make this one Roatan/Honduras or create a new board.

... There was a thread in here the day it opened, but apparently the discussion was removed, due to this being a board for the island of Roatan and not mainland Honduras...

The thread had to be removed because the original poster violated the following Copyright Infringement section in the Guidelines:

The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed.

The one exception to this would be Cruise Line press releases. You may post these word for word on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

The OP should have posted the link to the author's article instead of a copy/paste of the entire article.

Kat 50.gif

Visited Tujillo and the Banana Coast about 10 years ago. The beaches there go on for miles along with the jungle. Its actually quite a fascinating area and I would expect a number of interesting excursions could be put together. The cruise ship pier development has been around for quite awhile and controversial among some. It definitely an area that I'd like to go back to.

We have been to Roatan many times and have witnessed a lot of changes. We have also been to the Honduras mainland flying into San Pedro Sula, touring and then boarding a sailing ship in Omoa on the north western coast. I am really looking forward to exploring the Banana coast before it gets too crowded (like Roatan). This will be our 45th cruise so any time we can visit a new port makes it an adventure.

• 1 month later...

The port has been completed since 2012. there seems to be 2 different websites for Banana Coast and Banana Coast Tours http://www.bananacoasttours.net/ It seems that Norwegian is not the only cruise line that's going....Holland America, Silver Seas, P&O and Oceania are also going to this port. Seems like a nice quiet beach town. I for one am looking forward to checking it out on my cruise. Getting tired of Roatan!

I thought NCL was building a new facility in Belize, south of Belize City...

just hijacking the tread a second, as I missed this remark back in Feb.

Bguppies, if you're thinking about the "rumors" of an actual dock for cruise ships in Belize, my understanding is that this is mired down in political red tape and graft. The politico behind the idea no longer has an in with anyone in the current government. There have been ideas tossed about to have cruise ships venture down to Placencia in the southern part of the country, but there's strong local resort resistance to having day visitors trampse over the pristine beaches.

Can't wait for some recent reviews of cruise ship stops on the Banana Coast though.

just hijacking the tread a second, as I missed this remark back in Feb.

Bguppies, if you're thinking about the "rumors" of an actual dock for cruise ships in Belize, my understanding is that this is mired down in political red tape and graft. The politico behind the idea no longer has an in with anyone in the current government. There have been ideas tossed about to have cruise ships venture down to Placencia in the southern part of the country, but there's strong local resort resistance to having day visitors trampse over the pristine beaches.

Can't wait for some recent reviews of cruise ship stops on the Banana Coast though.

Not rumors, multiple articles and a press release by NCL...

norwegian-belize-private-island.jpg

I'll post the cruise critic article, since other links might kill this thread.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5487