Can't do without my morniing tea

I am taking my first cruise on Thomson Spirit/Fjordland Splendours,July 13th 2013 and (sad person) have to have my morning cuppa before I am able to function! If I take a travel kettle will I be able to use it (plugs/adaptors etc.?) and my other "must" is a radio - I am a World Service addict and as an insomniac it keeps me sane in the early hours - can anyone see any problems - will I need a battery operated radio or will I be able to "plug in" ? All suggestions greatfully received.:confused:

progress.gif

I am taking my first cruise on Thomson Spirit/Fjordland Splendours,July 13th 2013 and (sad person) have to have my morning cuppa before I am able to function! If I take a travel kettle will I be able to use it (plugs/adaptors etc.?) and my other "must" is a radio - I am a World Service addict and as an insomniac it keeps me sane in the early hours - can anyone see any problems - will I need a battery operated radio or will I be able to "plug in" ? All suggestions greatfully received.:confused:

progress.gif

I can see a problem with the radio.....as the walls are incredible thin you could disturb the people in the next cabin.

You aren't allowed kettles in the cabin.

No more noisy than the TV ?

Headphones or earphones would solve that problem.

Yeah, but most people don't have the TV on during the night. Headphones would work though and I was only pointing out how thin the wall were as the OP hasn't cruised before.

I think Elwell is talking about a cuppa without having to venture too far from the horizontal position on wakening.

The lido is a fair toddle to satisfy such an addiction - unless the other half is willing to go above and beyond - literally !!!

Got it in one WeeCountyMan - there's just me and my shadow. Think a thermos/hot water will be the answer. I also might try room service if it isn't too costly - has anyone used it? Just have to have that morning beverage.

Yeah, but most people don't have the TV on during the night. Headphones would work though and I was only pointing out how thin the wall were as the OP hasn't cruised before.

Fair point, I wasn't looking for a disagreement - sorry !!!

Another thought - not sure how good radio reception would be inside a cabin.

Further news re that precious cuppa - my travelling companion spoke to her local TA yesterday and was told that there would be no problem taking a kettle on board. I made booking on line so wasn't able to ask questions, however, I have found out that room service for morning cuppa is about £2.00 so if push comes to shove that will be the answer - needs must, etc. :D

Further news re that precious cuppa - my travelling companion spoke to her local TA yesterday and was told that there would be no problem taking a kettle on board. I made booking on line so wasn't able to ask questions, however, I have found out that room service for morning cuppa is about £2.00 so if push comes to shove that will be the answer - needs must, etc. :D

I cannot state this strongly enough. Kettles are prohibited. Please do not endanger yourself and others.

Kettles are definitely NOT permitted!

The reason I was given by Fraser Ellacot for not using your own kettle, and I quote, was " The reason we ask customers not to bring their own kettles is because they consume too much electrical power and could fuse the cabin electrical circuits. The same applies to irons, plus there's also the risk of fire so, under international regulations, they're not allowed to be used in cabins."

OK! so:-

Why do the kettles that Thomson provide not "consume too much electrical power"?

Why are hair straighteners/tongs allowed? They don't even switch themselves off and IMHO are in the same category as irons.

Why are you allowed to take four way adaptors, thereby charging 4 things at once :eek: Isn't that " consuming too much electrical power"?

Sorry Kruzseeka, back on my hobbyhorse - pre Christmas grumpyness!

The reason I was given by Fraser Ellacot for not using your own kettle, and I quote, was " The reason we ask customers not to bring their own kettles is because they consume too much electrical power and could fuse the cabin electrical circuits. The same applies to irons, plus there's also the risk of fire so, under international regulations, they're not allowed to be used in cabins."

OK! so:-

Why do the kettles that Thomson provide not "consume too much electrical power"?

Why are hair straighteners/tongs allowed? They don't even switch themselves off and IMHO are in the same category as irons.

Why are you allowed to take four way adaptors, thereby charging 4 things at once :eek: Isn't that " consuming too much electrical power"?

Sorry Kruzseeka, back on my hobbyhorse - pre Christmas grumpyness!

CRUISIN LINDA - you have just taken the words out of my mouth - I was about to ask:

If passengers in Suites are allowed a kettle - are they made especially - possibly low voltage? I don't know about these things but am quite prepared to find the appropriate appliance.

If I have a brand new kettle (with an automatic cut out),which is also P.A T tested, and stand over it until it boils, then switch off and make tea - where is the problem? I shall have nothing else plugged in and will still be in my jim-jams and so I am not likely to go wandering off down the corridor.

Perhaps I am being somewhat pedantic/stubborn/naive or just plain gormless - whatever - I still don't get it.

Fair point, I wasn't looking for a disagreement - sorry !!!

Another thought - not sure how good radio reception would be inside a cabin.

I know you weren't and I was speaking very quietly when I typed that....I just thought it best to point out what may be a problem, and I also wondered about reception.

Archived