Milford Haven Wales

cole

Does anyone know of a tour available for this port. Princess doesn't offer one and it doesn't look like there is much to do during the day our ship will be docked at this port. Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.

Cole

Does anyone know of a tour available for this port. Princess doesn't offer one and it doesn't look like there is much to do during the day our ship will be docked at this port. Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.

Cole

I'm on Ocean Princess in August and my cruise personalizer is showing a choice of 6 excursions at this port! ;)

I'm on Ocean Princess in August and my cruise personalizer is showing a choice of 6 excursions at this port! ;)

I checked your date and sure enough, they offer excursions. Interesting that they don't show on our dates, but I am sure they will appear soon. Thank you for your help.

Cole

Hiya, and welcome to "SUNNY" Pembrokeshire. I live in this county so can offer some help and advice if needed.

Milford Haven is mainly a fishing port with large oil refineries close by. You are probably not far off the mark by saying there isn't much about, however we have many miles of wonderful beaches and scenery. I would imagine a taxi from Milford to Pembroke would not be that cheap (by my standards anyway). We do have a reliable if not that frequent bus service (about hourly)

Like I said, we have many very lovely beaches all around our coast including Saundersfoot, Tenby, Manorbier, Freshwater East and West (Freshwater West having been used for scenes in the last couple of Harry Potter movies and Russel Crow's Robin Hood). My favorite beach has to be Angle. These are just a few.

We have the County Town of Haverfordwest, not too far from Milford Haven with the best selection of our County's shops and they have the remains of Haverfordwest Castle.

If castles are your thing, we have some of the best in Wales, and real ones, unlike the one in Cardiff which is quite modern or the folly of Castel Coch. Pembroke has a large castle and links to Oliver Cromwell. Manorbier has a castle that overlooks the beach and Tenby is a historic walled town.

North of county, we have Fishguard, the last place the French tried to invade a few hundred years ago. It is also where some of the Charlton Heston film Moby Dick was filmed and where Dylan Thomas' "Under Milk Wood" was filmed in its entirety.

Dylan Thomas' home of Llahrne is about an hours drive away too.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Sorry, I would just like to add.

If you have any specific interests, let me know and I may be able to assist.

Wales is a small country and much of the rest of the world knows little about us.

Much of South Wales is totally English speaking and although we are trying to keep our ancient Welsh language going, it isn't that widely used in the South.

• 4 weeks later...
Which tour have you booked? I never knew we had tours in Milford Haven. I would quite like to know where you are going. Thanks

Peter

CKAP can answer which tours they have booked, but we also have booked a Princess excursion and we go to Pembroke, visit the Pembroke Castle, travel through country of Pembrokeshire to Carew, to Haverfordwest, through the town of Fishguard, to St. David and then return to Milford Haven. It is a full day!

Cole

Yep, that will be a full day. Sounds like it should be a potted history of Pembrokeshire. Any idea which location you are likely to be stopping for lunch? There is an award-winning fish and chip shop between Haverfordwest and Fishguard I can highly recommend.

Sent from my mobile with a little luck and a trailing wind.

Yep, that will be a full day. Sounds like it should be a potted history of Pembrokeshire. Any idea which location you are likely to be stopping for lunch? There is an award-winning fish and chip shop between Haverfordwest and Fishguard I can highly recommend.

The description says we will have free time to stroll the streets of Haverfordwest and it suggests that we "take a moment to purchase lunch at one of the local eateries." Any suggestions?

Cole

It depends on what you are looking for. There are a few reasonable pubs, with reasonable food. The stereotypical fish and chip shops are not in "town" so can't recommend. If you want a typical pub experience, either " The Fishguard Arms" on Bridge Street or I would go for " The Friars Vaults" in the town square. There are more down-market or up-market if you want. Just ask away.

I live in this county so can offer some help and advice if needed.

Dylan Thomas' home of Llahrne is about an hours drive away too.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Oops - If any of your neighbours see this you will be in trouble - Laugharne is the correct spelling as I am sure you know. For the benefit of our visitors, it's pronounced Larne.

Thanks, Monkey,

What wonderful photos on that website. I want to climb all over that castle. I know that Wales has the most castles of any place in Europe. I love the Castles.

I am on the 17 August Crystal Symphony from Dover to Dublin. There is only one port in Wales. Is HOLYHEAD close to you ?

Thanks,

Donna (Irish Princess)

I watched a documentry last night about William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke, who lived in Pembroke Castle from 1189. An amazing man who was called the best knight that ever lived; served four kings and, in 1216, as Regent to the nine-year-old King Henry III.

As such, it is his seal at the bottom of Magna Carta. (there is a good original in Salisbury Cathedral for anyone who is interested).

Fascinating stuff...:)

When we were on the Ocean Princess last August there were at least 4 - 5 different tours from Milford Haven operated by Princess. We did the tour to St. David's Peninsula and had a great time. We were very luck to have warm and sunny weather on the day of our visit.

You can read about our visit which also has photos on my blog entry below:

http://www.27thousandwaves.com/2013/08/milford-haven-wales-day-7.html

Sorry, Pembrokeshire is the South West of Wales. Hollyhead is in the North West. about a 4-5 hour drive away (the way I drive anyway). I've been to North Wales as a tourist before, but know very little about the area. Sorry.

Consumer,

My paternal ancestor (late 17th Century) was from Llanddewi Brefi, Ceredigion, Wales. Are you familiar with the town? We are planning another trip of Britain to visit the places of our ancestors.

Consumer,

My paternal ancestor (late 17th Century) was from Llanddewi Brefi, Ceredigion, Wales. Are you familiar with the town? We are planning another trip of Britain to visit the places of our ancestors.

Hiya, sorry, Ceredigion is not somewhere I have visted really. I have only really driven through the County. I do know there are a few Llanddewi Brefi's around and about much of Wales. A few of those communities (and those with simmilar sounding place names) were a little upset at being "featured" as the place name in an ongoing sketch in the UK TV show Little Britain a few years ago that had a go at ridiculing the Welsh stereotypes and some peoples feelings about homophobia. It was some lighthearted fun and most took it in good spirits I would imagine some of the sketches are on uTube (try searching Little Britain and Daffyd).

The reason for bringing up the TV show is that it is still a loved TV show and some visitors apparently have liked to dress up as characters and have photos taken at the road signs and the like. All in good fun, but I imagine without being aware of the why's and wherefore's it could be a little shocking to see.

Have a look at this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanddewi_Brefi for details.

Hiya, sorry, Ceredigion is not somewhere I have visted really. I have only really driven through the County. I do know there are a few Llanddewi Brefi's around and about much of Wales. A few of those communities (and those with simmilar sounding place names) were a little upset at being "featured" as the place name in an ongoing sketch in the UK TV show Little Britain a few years ago that had a go at ridiculing the Welsh stereotypes and some peoples feelings about homophobia. It was some lighthearted fun and most took it in good spirits I would imagine some of the sketches are on uTube (try searching Little Britain and Daffyd).

The reason for bringing up the TV show is that it is still a loved TV show and some visitors apparently have liked to dress up as characters and have photos taken at the road signs and the like. All in good fun, but I imagine without being aware of the why's and wherefore's it could be a little shocking to see.

Have a look at this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanddewi_Brefi for details.

Consumer,

Thanks. We would like to visit the town. My ancestor had to leave because he punched an Anglican priest in the church there in the late 17th Cen. I see the church is still standing.

We also want to visit Cornwall (my Wife's ancestors came from there) and Cardiff. What would be a good city to find a bed and breakfast or small hotel to stay and then take day trips by car to these places?

Tricky one. The problem is that Llandewi Brefi and Cornwall are about 5 hours drive appart (possibly more if you are looking at Lands End), with no real logical mid point other than Bristol really. Depending on time issues, maybe staying at two or three different places would be ideal.