Antarctica enrichment programme

G2G

Hi Bonnie,

A number of us have booked this cruise for January 2015 and we would like to know how specific the lectures will be to the area we are visiting please. We have a significant number of sea days which provides a great opportunity for lectures on the history, exploration and wildlife of the region.

I know that Nigel Marven is due to be on the ship and whilst he is a very entertaining naturalist, I do hope that his lectures will be specific to Antarctica and not just clips of his TV shows as on a previous cruise.

I asked on a recent cruise on the Journey if the library would have materials relevant to Antarctica, but I was told that there weren't any plans to provide any extra reference material. Would you be able to clarify what "enrichment" programme will be available please.

Kind regards,

G. Grey

Edited by G2G

Hi Bonnie,

A number of us have booked this cruise for January 2015 and we would like to know how specific the lectures will be to the area we are visiting please. We have a significant number of sea days which provides a great opportunity for lectures on the history, exploration and wildlife of the region.

I know that Nigel Marven is due to be on the ship and whilst he is a very entertaining naturalist, I do hope that his lectures will be specific to Antarctica and not just clips of his TV shows as on a previous cruise.

I asked on a recent cruise on the Journey if the library would have materials relevant to Antarctica, but I was told that there weren't any plans to provide any extra reference material. Would you be able to clarify what "enrichment" programme will be available please.

Kind regards,

G. Grey

Hello G2G,

I will inquire to see if there is any additional information for you. Please be patient...

Bonnie

We did this cruise on Quest in 2013 and Nigel was one of the guest speakers and a lot of his talks did centre around his TV shows. He also offered a couple of trips, at least one in the Falklands which you could book. The other speaker was Charles Richardson whose talks did centre on the areas we were to visit and were very interesting. Both were on hand on deck when we were in the Antarctic Peninsula pointing out wildlife and answering questions. Nigel was also on deck early morning and evening pointing out the birds following the ship. Charles was also on the bridge with the Captain and Ice Captain giving a commentary over the audio system. It is a wonderful cruise. We were very lucky and saw lots of different whales, penguins and sea birds. Take your camera to dinner, if you are as lucky as we were, dinner will be interrupted a lot by wildlife sightings close to the ship.

Hilary

Agree completely with Gill. I have been very disappointed with the enrichment programs on my last 4 cruises. Many of the lectures were not at all revelant to the region in which we were cruising (lectures on the Crown Jewels of England while in Asia???). Or the lecturer did not have the depth of knowledge to provide factual, interesting talks. No more retired professionals who have taken up cruise lecturing as a hobby.

I am on the Antarctic cruise and expect an exceptional enrichment program given its special nature. Please, no repeats of the talks Nigel Marven has given on other cruises. Already seen them.

Would love someone with a specialty on Polar Regions - someone who can talk about the unique climate, glaciation, physical geography - not just wildlife and birds. And someone who can talk about the many expeditions and scientific research conducted on Anarctica. How about Bernard Stonehouse (if he is still lecturing on cruise ships)? How about a scientist who has spent time in a research station on Antarctica? I understand that on a HAL cruise, the ship picked up a scientist from one of the research stations who lgave ectures on-board.

And why not stock the library with reference books and field guides relevant to the regions Azamara cruises? I have been disappointed on previous cruise with not being able to identify the wildflowers I saw in Flam. Or not being able to research more of the history of the Vietnam War after touring the Imperial Palace in Saigon.

Time for Azamara to give more attention to ship-board experience re: "Destination Immersion".

Thanks Bonnie for responding so promptly, I will wait to hear your findings.

Hi Hilary, thank you also for your insight into your trip, I'm sure we will have a fab time, everyone has such positive feedback.

I've spoken to a number of people who have been to Antarctica with various cruise lines and one guy told me about an observation sheet they had set up in the library, where people recorded the different birds etc they had seen. I think its a great idea and that wouldn't be too expensive. I intend to take some bird books with me, (I can cope with the extra weight as I won't need my usual selection of high heeled shoes!!), that way we would have some information if Azamara doesn't expand its library resources.

I do agree with you Lois, it would be fantastic to learn more about the history and the people who have explored the region. I wait with baited breath.

Gill

Charles Richardson did talk about the unique climate, glaciation, physical geography and history of Antarctica and Patagonia. Agree about the books etc.

Sounds like you had a great lecturer in Charles Richardson. Let's hope we have someone equally as good. Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Bonnie,

On a previous thread initiated by you, there was a great conversation about movies that had some kind connection to many of AZ's desinations. With that in the back of my mind, I discovered today that there is a movie, ICE, that has been made as part of the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Shackleton's expedition. Since we will be cruisng past Elephant Island, wouldn't it be great if AZ could screen this movie onboard when we are there? There also is an earlier movie entitled "Shackleton" which would be interesting.

And, I would guess that there are many more movies and documentarties about the area that could shown onboard. This would be a great way to enhance the enrichment program. Could you please pass this suggestion on?

Here is the link to the site about ICE: http://iceshackletonmovie.com/

Thanks

Hello Bonnie,

On a previous thread initiated by you, there was a great conversation about movies that had some kind connection to many of AZ's desinations. With that in the back of my mind, I discovered today that there is a movie, ICE, that has been made as part of the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Shackleton's expedition. Since we will be cruisng past Elephant Island, wouldn't it be great if AZ could screen this movie onboard when we are there? There also is an earlier movie entitled "Shackleton" which would be interesting.

And, I would guess that there are many more movies and documentarties about the area that could shown onboard. This would be a great way to enhance the enrichment program. Could you please pass this suggestion on?

Here is the link to the site about ICE: http://iceshackletonmovie.com/

Thanks

What a great idea!! And...I hope ...that the "parent companies" share speakers and information about them...and perhaps "share" them with AZ??

We were at the "bottom of the world" this past Feb. on X's "Infinity" and we had 2 wonderful speakers...who did talks almost everyday..shared info/narrative while cruising/maps etc!! It was AWESOME!! Find them...and book them...and everyone will be so happy!!! LuAnn

• 3 weeks later...
What a great idea!! And...I hope ...that the "parent companies" share speakers and information about them...and perhaps "share" them with AZ??

We were at the "bottom of the world" this past Feb. on X's "Infinity" and we had 2 wonderful speakers...who did talks almost everyday..shared info/narrative while cruising/maps etc!! It was AWESOME!! Find them...and book them...and everyone will be so happy!!! LuAnn

Hi, Luann! We were on the same cruise and some tours with you.. Agree completely , the speakers and lecturers were very good, and also made themselves available. Lorri and richard

Hi, Luann! We were on the same cruise and some tours with you.. Agree completely , the speakers and lecturers were very good, and also made themselves available. Lorri and richard

We just thought they were "top notch"...good to hear from you!!! LuAnn

BriansBrain and LuAnn,

Thanks for the input. I know Azmara is now using an outside company called Compass to book their lecturers. Not sure if Celebrity is one of their clients, but worth checking into. Bonnie mabye you can pass on this suggestion?

Thanks, Lois

Hi Bonnie,

Have you heard any more about the enrichment programme for the Antarctica cruise?? Thanks

Hi G2G, I haven't heard of anything new yet. I've asked the office to let me know when anything new is added to the website. Best to keep checking the website, and / or checking here. When I hear I'll post too.

Bonnie

• 2 months later...

Hi Bonnie,

I've continued to check the website to see if any other on board speakers have been added to our Antarctic cruise and nothing has changed.

As we have so many sea days it would be a terrible disappointment not to have a meaningful enrichment programme. I know we will all be spending more time utilising the laundry room (sorry couldn't resist):D, but due to the unique history, climate and ecology of the region it would be a lost opportunity if we didn't have speakers who could expand our knowledge in these areas. I am really looking forward to the lectures from Nigel Marven and hope I will learn a great deal from him about the wildlife particular to the region.

2fromTO made some excellent suggestions regarding films which could be shown and other people have put forward ideas. Would it be possible for some of the excellent suggestions made on this thread to be forwarded to the relevant person at Miami please, or let me have their email address and I will contact them. Thank you in anticipation. G

Bonnie,

Would appreciate any additional information you may have about the enrichment program on our Antarctic cruise. While we are looking forward to Nigel Marvin's perspective on the wildlife/birds of Antarctica, however it would greatly enhance our experience to have lecturers on board who also could talk about the many other interesting facets of Antarctica - glaciation, climate, history of expeditions, the many research stations etc. It is a unique destination that calls for an equally unique ship-board enrichment program. A great opportunity for Azamara to excel in its commitment to Destination Immersion. Thanks.

This will be up on the website soon, if not already:

January 10-27, 2015 – RT Buenos Aires

Dr. Peter Wasilewski, Destination Lecturer

Give up a chance of playing professional football to travel across Antarctica? That’s exactly the decision Peter Wasilewski made. After his first trip to Antarctica, he returned for five more expeditions. Mount Wasilewski, an ancient volcano at the base of the Antarctic Peninsula, now bears his name. Peter completed undergraduate and graduate degrees from George Washington University in Washington, DC, and a doctor of science degree from the University of Tokyo. He then began a career with NASA focusing on magnetism in natural materials. Dr. Wasilewski is currently a Scientist Emeritus at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

Michael Hick, Destination Lecturer

British born and educated, Michael Hick is an award-winning speaker and exceptional communicator. He presents a global perspective to his audience. World-smart, well-traveled, content-rich, he brings a lifetime of practical, road-level international experience and know-how to his audience. His education, understanding, and practical application of geopolitics brings fascinating and valuable new perspectives to his audience where the cooperative knowledge of history and geography provide appreciation why different cultures think and act the way they do.

Nigel Marven, Celebrity/Special Interest Lecturer – Wildlife

Shauneen Hutchinson, Bridge Instructor

Shauneen Hutchinson has been teaching various subjects since completing her master’s degree. She left teaching to eventually attend law school, and since retiring from practicing law, she has returned to competitive bridge, playing in national tournaments and becoming a Bronze Life Master. She is certified as both a teacher and a club director by the ACBL and enjoys teaching numerous bridge classes in Kiawah Island, South Carolina. She has taught bridge and directed Duplicate Bridge games on numerous cruise ships. She especially enjoys teaching beginners and developing defense techniques for intermediate players.

Mario Barbi, Watercolor Artist

Mario Barbi’s professional life has been dedicated to the art of visual communication. After graduating from the Advertising & Graphic Art School in Milan, Italy, a brilliant career in advertising followed. However, his true passion has always been drawing and painting. Mario’s work has been shown in Milan at the Brera Academy and at the Palazzo Ducale, in Mantua. In Milan, he attends the “Libera Scuola del Nudo”, and at home you can find him at the Cincinnati Art Academy. He currently gives private lessons in Milan as well as Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.