Cab with a baby- Help!

Aggiee03

We will be heading to Cozumel next week on a cruise and there will be 4 adults, my 3 year old and our 8 month old. We booked a day a Nachi Cocom. I'm nervous about how we are going to get there with the baby. Do any of the cabs have carseats or do I just have to carry her on my lap and pray? :) Thanks for the help!!

They will not have car seats. You may find one, but it's unusual. If you want a car seat, you'd have to bring your own, but then finding a cab that will have useable seatbelts is a whole different story.

It's a short easy, straight ride to Nachi from the piers. You should be fine, but as a mother only you can make that decision.

Do any of the cabs have carseats NO or do I just have to carry her on my lap and pray? Please don't. :) Thanks for the help!!

Bring your own car seats - the airline will check them for free if you are not using them on the flight. Tip the driver a couple of extra bucks for the time spent installing and unistalling the seats. Forget about the laws in Mexico - the laws of physics apply all over the world! :eek: We did not have car seats and seat belts when I was growing up, and I have the scars to prove it. :(

You opened the wrong can of worms. You're going to get a lot of very passionate opinions on this but simply put you need to do what you think is right.

There is a company in Cozumel that rents car seats. Google 'baby in paradise' and you'll find it. Alternatively; you could arrange private transportation. I was able to find a few companies that offered car seats but they are likely too expensive given that they are better suited for day long tours vs. 'drop me off at the beach and pick me up later'.

Having just done extensive research as to what our options would be with a 2.5 yr old. You can: bring your own seat, not bring a seat at all, use the rental company, find a private tour company or you can stay on the ship.

I'm not going to tell you what to do or not to do because that's not my decision. Whatever you choose I hope you have a safe and enjoyable day in Cozumel.

Car seat wont help, we didn't have seat belts in the back seats of of our cab last week from nachi cocom, There is nothing scarier than a mexican cab driver ...... That should be an excursion in itself ... :)

I skip the cabs without functioning seat belts and go to the next one in line - if they complain tell them to fix their belts! :mad:

We went to Nachi last Monday with our three-year old.

We brought a car seat with us specifically for the excursion (I have a light-weight car seat for travel and attach a Brica roller so it pulls - handy for loading up your stuff for the long walk back to the ship on the pier, too!)

I am so very thankful we had the seat.

On the main road to get to Nachi a large taxi van pulled out in front of us as we were traveling at a high rate of speed. Our little taxi sedan left a huge trail of rubber and smoke and our car slide sideways to a stop about two inches from the van.

I was holding my daughter's hand in the backseat and in slow motion I can still hear myself saying "This can't be happening."

We didn't make contact and the situation could have been so much worse. I keep thinking about the incident and am so thankful we went through the hassle of bringing her seat. What if we didn't have that extra 1/2 second?

Safe travels.

There is no question here about what to do, and you know that already, or you wouldn't be nervous. There is no reason to risk not putting your children (both of them) in car seats. We loved these things:

http://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Gold-Stroll-Beverly-Hills/dp/B00K759X38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416275167&sr=8-1&keywords=sit+n+stroll+car+seat

and you can find them used on ebay a lot. They are car seat/ stroller combos that work forward facing OR rear facing with just a seat belt, and then the wheels pop out and handle pulls up to make it a stroller. It is also sized to fit in airplane seats and fit rolling down an airplane aisle. They are great.

Those look great, but $350!??? :eek: Each!???? :eek:

I know- they are really expensive. But like I said, they are often cheaper on ebay, and we did resell ours there once we were done with it- and got about half back. I'm surprised no one else has duplicated the design (or something similar) because it's a great idea- then you don't have to bring a stroller too... it's all in one.

We unexpectedly ended up in a hotel transfer van with our daughter when she was 11 months old. I was freaking out because obviously there was no car seat. I put her on my lap, put the lap belt across both of us, put her diaper bag on her lap (as an 'airbag'!), held onto her for dear life and PRAYED. Oh, and we were on the freeway in Boston... :eek:

There are several portable, travel car seat options out there. Of course none of them are probably going to be as safe and secure as an every day car seat. But, they have to be safer than nothing at all!

Here are just a few I found in a quick search (because I was curious!):

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Traffic-System-Safer-Travel/dp/B009R79D46/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Portable-Seat-Collection/dp/B000K53TFI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-children-Booster-Cushion-Multi-function/dp/B00JYEVZNO/ref=sr_1_18?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1416318891&sr=1-18&keywords=portable+car+seat

Car seat wont help, we didn't have seat belts in the back seats of of our cab last week from nachi cocom, There is nothing scarier than a mexican cab driver ...... That should be an excursion in itself ... :)

The only thing that tops that is watching a family of 4 on a moped carrying the groceries.

We have never brought the car seats on vacation. If we are going on a private tour, I request car seats and they usually can supply them for us.

Never put a seat belt around yourself and your child. You will smash the child upon impact. One thing that may work and at least be safer is wear the baby in a front carrier, like a baby bjorn. Strap yourself into the seat belt, with the baby on the outside of the seat belt. That way if there is an accident, the seat belt will stop you from going forward and not hurt the baby.