New Point & Shoot Camera

Keith1010

On all our cruises I bring one or two DSLR cameras but I also bring a point and shoot for various purposes. I might use the Point & Shoot to take photos of food or use it in port in certain places where I don't want to lug around one of the nicer cameras.

In the past I've used various point and shoot from Luxix to Canon Powershot.

I am not happy with my Lumix for many reasons even though I liked previous models.

I would appreciate recommendations that some of you might have. Right now I am looking at:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV

Canon PowerShot G5 X

I've never owned a Sony.

Anyway, would appreciate suggestions.

Keith

I have never been happy with the small inexpensive P&S cameras as they tend to work fine outdoors but have problems indoors. On Black Friday I purchased a Samsung WB350 (21X zoom with WiFi) and so far have been very happy with it.

Have the Sony RX100 for over a year, love the range and fast lens, Great for indoor use, never been disappointed. Steve Huff says it best.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/07/26/the-sony-rx100-digital-camera-review/

Also

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

If you are interested in the Sony RX series, I would compare them all, think the original for the price is hard to beat.

Good Luck

Tom :cool:

On all our cruises I bring one or two DSLR cameras but I also bring a point and shoot for various purposes. I might use the Point & Shoot to take photos of food or use it in port in certain places where I don't want to lug around one of the nicer cameras.

In the past I've used various point and shoot from Luxix to Canon Powershot.

I am not happy with my Lumix for many reasons even though I liked previous models.

I would appreciate recommendations that some of you might have. Right now I am looking at:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV

Canon PowerShot G5 X

I've never owned a Sony.

Anyway, would appreciate suggestions.

Keith

All 3 use the same sensor. The Rx100 is generally a bit more polished than the Canon, according to most reviews.

The RX100III and IV are very similar, with most of the differences being in speed and video.

If you're mostly shooting single shot stills, save some money and get the RX100iii. If you want to shoot 16fps... and capture 4k video, and capture super slow motion HD video, then go with the RX1000iv.