Underwater Camera Recommendations

I have a Panasonic Lumix FT-1. I believe the current model is 5 or 6. I've taken it snorkelling, swimming and kayaking many times and it's been everywhere from the desert to the beach to the snow/ice. I've had it at least 5 years now and it's still going strong.

• 2 months later...
I would recommend the Sony DSC-TX30. It's slightly over $200 but it's a great camera with a lot of features!

I'm researching waterproof cameras and am glad to see someone recommend the DSC-TX30! I'm seeking a waterproof camera for worry-free splashabouts on our upcoming cruise. I'm thinking Stingray City, beach day, Thriller speedboat, things like that. I don't need the toughest, deepest-water camera. Pocketable size is a bigger priority for me right now, especially since I'm taking more than one camera on the cruise. The DSC-TX30 is one of the cameras on my short list. I like the wider-angle lens but would prefer to have some level of manual exposure controls....in any case, I'm watching the waterproof cam prices like a hawk in the coming weeks with Black Friday on the way. It's currently a hair under $200 on Amazon (in black).

Reviews indicate that the battery life isn't the best with this camera. What's been your experience? It also looks like the battery is charged in-camera, which means you can't just snap in a spare battery when the current one dies (if it's anything like my compact Nikon, that is).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We bought a Nikon Coolpix that was supposedly rated for 100 feet. I don't recall which model number it was. It flooded at about 50-60 feet. Fortunately, we were able to use the desktop to retrieve images/video from the card. Ended up buying a GoPro on the ship for the next 2 days of diving. Returned the camera & card as soon as we got back home.

That all being said, it would probably be fine for snorkeling and pool time. The pics it took were great.