San Miguel and San Gervasio

Pugster4

My wife and I will be going to Cozumel and we're thinking of trying to go see San Gervasio and San Miguel. I was just wondering how easy it would be to go see both after spending some time at nachi cocum? Also what is there that we should go check out at San Miguel and where is the best souvenir shopping? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I will be going to Cozumel and we're thinking of trying to go see San Gervasio and San Miguel. I was just wondering how easy it would be to go see both after spending some time at nachi cocum? Also what is there that we should go check out at San Miguel and where is the best souvenir shopping? Thanks!

It's about a 35-40 minute taxi ride from Caching to San Gervasio. 30-40 minutes there is probably more than enough time. In San Miguel, most of the souvenir places are along the plaza. that's probably a 10 minute taxi from SG. then, unless you're docked at Punta Langosta, downtown, the plaza is another 10 minute ride from the 2 southern piers. So in answer to your question, it depends on how long your ship is in port and how long you want to stay at Nachi.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

It's about a 35-40 minute taxi ride from Caching to San Gervasio. 30-40 minutes there is probably more than enough time. In San Miguel, most of the souvenir places are along the plaza. that's probably a 10 minute taxi from SG. then, unless you're docked at Punta Langosta, downtown, the plaza is another 10 minute ride from the 2 southern piers. So in answer to your question, it depends on how long your ship is in port and how long you want to stay at Nachi.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

Thanks crewsweeper. We will be on one of those Cozumel plus itineraries so we will be there for a while. Not sure I will want to be at Nachi the whole time so I want to keep my options open. Thanks again!

Personally I wouldn't want to pay for an AI resort and then try to fit in all the other things you are asking about which are in the complete opposite direction. There is no problem time wise fitting them in but obviously it will restrict your time at any one place. I think you said you were scheduled for 9 hours in port but remember there will be ship clearence and disembarkation time and then you will need to be back on board at least 30 mins before sail away usually - we prefer to aim for 60-90. Not sure where you are sailing from, or time of year, but you will need to take into account ship time vs local time.

I believe San Gervasio closes perhaps at 4? You will certainly not need long there as Crew says but we enjoyed our visit. It is definitely not a "must-do, first time experience" but I would allow more like 60 mins. We enjoyed the walk through the jungle- without that much less time required. Remember bug spray and water. I would be inclined to perhaps schedule to go there first, before it gets too hot.

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/san_gervasio.cfm

The board at the taxi dispatch will list fares and San Gervasio is listed as 2 hours,with waiting. The taxi driver will wait while you tour because I don't think there are many random taxis waiting for return rides. You could probably negotiate your fare to include return to Nachi instead of port for a little extra. Taking individual single taxis to all those places will soon add up.

Finally with regards San Miguel unless you have some particular shopping, bar or place you want to see you can always do souvenir shopping at the pier (or since you are on a "plus" itinerary you are docked until late and perhaps you want a local sunset dinner in town or one of the west coast restaurants).

If you want more of a "sampler" day where you do a little of everything i would hire a driver through ToursPlaza to take you to all the sites you want to see for as long as you want to stay including a quiet beach on the east side. We love riding round the island either with a driver, or the bar hop, but I also like swimming in a nice pool so I choose one or the other and make that our day. I guess I am trying to say if you only want a few hours "at the beach", with, or without, a pool there are lots of options less expensive than AI Nachi.

Thank you c-leg. It's good to know there isn't a whole lot in San Miguel so I'm thinking we won't go there then. I heard San Gervasio was small so maybe I was thinking it would take even less time. We want to do nachi because of the adult only limited entrance part of it. I was curious about San Miguel just because I don't want to miss anything that is a must do and I just want to find the best priced place for souvenir but it would probably be cheaper at port just because of taxi fare. Thanks again!

I was curious about San Gervasio because we have never seen ruins before and we don't want to go to the mainland because we hope to do a land trip to the riveria Maya someday and see all the ruins in the area

Thank you c-leg. It's good to know there isn't a whole lot in San Miguel so I'm thinking we won't go there then. I heard San Gervasio was small so maybe I was thinking it would take even less time. We want to do nachi because of the adult only limited entrance part of it. I was curious about San Miguel just because I don't want to miss anything that is a must do and I just want to find the best priced place for souvenir but it would probably be cheaper at port just because of taxi fare. Thanks again!

I am sorry if I came over a little negative.

The first couple of times we went to Cozumel (many many years ago) we docked in town and only stayed in town, to keep costs down. I hated San Miguel, walking down the Main Street and being bombarded by aggressive vendors trying to get us in one shop after another and was nearly turned off Cozumel for life. Fortunately we took a tour with ToursPlaza and discovered life outside main drag and have returned for many cruise ship days and several lengthy land visits where we have stayed both in town and at resorts.

Now we prefer to stay in San Miguel to the AI resorts because we enjoy the atmosphere of the local bars and restaurants but it would not be the highlight of a cruise ship day for me where food and drink are provided. I know now to walk a street or two back from the Main Street. I am not big on shopping and I think you are right, if you are only after souvenirs you will do just as well at the piers, maybe a little higher but nothing compared to $8 each way in taxi and the difference in using US$ to pesos.

It can be interesting to walk around and grab a drink in San Miguel and explore around the square but not worth it enough to me to warrant the extra taxi fare when I had paid for AI somewhere, unless as I said you have read about something particular you want to see.

Of course I look at it knowing I will return another day another time, if you think this may be your one and only trip to Cozumel you will look at it differently. I haven't been on a ship that stays late, but my choice in that case would be sunset dinner at Money Bar (no pool, no real beach, but decent snorkeling) after a few hours at a PAYG beach. All in the same area and minimizing taxi fares.

As you can see on the link I included previously, the main square at San Gervasio is small - the ruins themselves are small, in height and sq ft - they are interesting but nothing like the mainland ruins. I don't know what other stops you have but maybe you could do ruins there, or as you say save them for a mainland trip.

I am sorry if I came over a little negative.

The first couple of times we went to Cozumel (many many years ago) we docked in town and only stayed in town, to keep costs down. I hated San Miguel, walking down the Main Street and being bombarded by aggressive vendors trying to get us in one shop after another and was nearly turned off Cozumel for life. Fortunately we took a tour with ToursPlaza and discovered life outside main drag and have returned for many cruise ship days and several lengthy land visits where we have stayed both in town and at resorts.

Now we prefer to stay in San Miguel to the AI resorts because we enjoy the atmosphere of the local bars and restaurants but it would not be the highlight of a cruise ship day for me where food and drink are provided. I know now to walk a street or two back from the Main Street. I am not big on shopping and I think you are right, if you are only after souvenirs you will do just as well at the piers, maybe a little higher but nothing compared to $8 each way in taxi and the difference in using US$ to pesos.

It can be interesting to walk around and grab a drink in San Miguel and explore around the square but not worth it enough to me to warrant the extra taxi fare when I had paid for AI somewhere, unless as I said you have read about something particular you want to see.

Of course I look at it knowing I will return another day another time, if you think this may be your one and only trip to Cozumel you will look at it differently. I haven't been on a ship that stays late, but my choice in that case would be sunset dinner at Money Bar (no pool, no real beach, but decent snorkeling) after a few hours at a PAYG beach. All in the same area and minimizing taxi fares.

As you can see on the link I included previously, the main square at San Gervasio is small - the ruins themselves are small, in height and sq ft - they are interesting but nothing like the mainland ruins. I don't know what other stops you have but maybe you could do ruins there, or as you say save them for a mainland trip.

C-leg you didn't come off negative at all. Just stating facts which I appreciate. I wanted someone to tell me exactly how it is so I wouldn't be disappointed and that's what you did for me. For all the trouble it would take to get to either place I think I would be disappointed and would just enjoy a nice relaxing day at nachi. We want one low key day and this seems like the best day to do so especially from all the positive reviews about nachi and the peace and quiet it offers with a nice beach. Thank you so much for your honest opinion. I know we will be back to Cozumel on future cruises so I'm not stressed about getting everything in like you said. Cozumel just seems like one of those places to enjoy a beach and do your own thing and I think that's what we will do, especially since we will want to be away from crowds. Anyways thanks again!

C-leg you didn't come off negative at all. Just stating facts which I appreciate. I wanted someone to tell me exactly how it is so I wouldn't be disappointed and that's what you did for me. For all the trouble it would take to get to either place I think I would be disappointed and would just enjoy a nice relaxing day at nachi. We want one low key day and this seems like the best day to do so especially from all the positive reviews about nachi and the peace and quiet it offers with a nice beach. Thank you so much for your honest opinion. I know we will be back to Cozumel on future cruises so I'm not stressed about getting everything in like you said. Cozumel just seems like one of those places to enjoy a beach and do your own thing and I think that's what we will do, especially since we will want to be away from crowds. Anyways thanks again!

Hope you enjoy your day!

We are of an age that we mainly like to relax and there are many beach options on Cozumel, busy and lively, quiet and remote! Nachi nearly always gets good reviews but strangely it is one beach bar we have never quite made it to yet - always on our "to-do" list, but it is a serious contender for my January visit!

Hope you enjoy your day!

We are of an age that we mainly like to relax and there are many beach options on Cozumel, busy and lively, quiet and remote! Nachi nearly always gets good reviews but strangely it is one beach bar we have never quite made it to yet - always on our "to-do" list, but it is a serious contender for my January visit!

Well I'm just one of those people that gets super excited and ahead of himself and plans everything really early so you will be there before me. If you check out nachi, you will have to do a review. I think you and crewsweeper are the two posters I get the most from. Thanks again for all your help!

I was curious about San Gervasio because we have never seen ruins before and we don't want to go to the mainland because we hope to do a land trip to the riveria Maya someday and see all the ruins in the area

In my opinion, San Gervasio is pretty underwhelming. They reminded me of an abandoned gas station that was crumbling and caving in. I'd skip it and spend more time at the beach or in town.