Ocho Rios...convince me to get off the ship.

gkrnjlr

It's just us two women traveling together. After reading reviews about this port we're debating not even getting off the ship. We're tentatively planning the Jamaican Home for the Day excursion. We normally like to do sightseeing and were considering the Bob Marley Bus tour (or whatever it's called).

The reviews I'm finding are making us think twice about getting off the ship. I've heard that Jamaica is beautiful and I'd like to see it but.....

It's just us two women traveling together. After reading reviews about this port we're debating not even getting off the ship. We're tentatively planning the Jamaican Home for the Day excursion. We normally like to do sightseeing and were considering the Bob Marley Bus tour (or whatever it's called).

The reviews I'm finding are making us think twice about getting off the ship. I've heard that Jamaica is beautiful and I'd like to see it but.....

Following:D

There are a lot of fun things to do very close to Ocho Rios...

If you stick with a ship excursion, you can avoid most of the hagglers.

Dunn's River Falls, Mystic Mountain (bob sled ride and zip line), and Dolphin Cove are all a very short drive.

Blue Hole and White River Tubing are within 30 minutes.

Green Grotto Caves and bamboo rafting on the Martha Brae River are under an hour away.

Scotchie's and Miss T's are delicious restaurants.

Or you can just spend the day at Margarittaville right at the pier. Nothing like a cheeseburger in paradise and a nice swimming pool.

Not sure what reviews you are reading. Is it about Bob Marley tour? Check out Tripadvisor and other reviews here on Cruise Critic...there are many good suggestions. We've been to Jamaica 5 times via cruise ship and never had a problem. That's not to say it's 100% crime-free. Just exercise caution as you would going to unfamiliar places.

Blue Hole is fun and beautiful!

What is it you are wanting to do? How long are you in port?

I am not going to "convince" you to get off the ship. That is something you have to convince yourself....it's what you are comfortable with.

The reviews I was reading that were taunting were on TripAdvisor. I ran across them when looking up "things to see in Ocho Rios" just as a guide for what the biggest attractions are.

I've always heard that Jamaica is beautiful. Sightseeing would be the top of the list so that we could as much as possible in the short time we're in port. (8a-4p).

I do think that the beach would be nice, but as much as I've heard about Jamaica I'd love to actually SEE it.

The reviews I was reading that were taunting were on TripAdvisor. I ran across them when looking up "things to see in Ocho Rios" just as a guide for what the biggest attractions are.

I've always heard that Jamaica is beautiful. Sightseeing would be the top of the list so that we could as much as possible in the short time we're in port. (8a-4p).

I do think that the beach would be nice, but as much as I've heard about Jamaica I'd love to actually SEE it.

Hmmm...not sure what is considered taunting? Sorry - difficult to read into something on internet. :-)

All the times we visited Jamaica, we hired a private driver for the day. We had a destination in mind each time. Typically for us it's 1-2 destination, lunch and then back to the port 2 hours before the ship is due to leave. With a private tour company you can either have them suggest the itinerary or you can tell them where you want to go/do.

I have yet to do a true "sightseeing". I was told by friends and tour operators that you'll need more than one day to see the whole island. Each time we visit, as part of the excursion/tour the guide gives us tidbits (historical, folk lore, etc) as we pass certain places. Hope that helps.

Have you also posted to your roll call thread? You may be able to find others who may already have a group together and you can ask to join, or see if they want to form a group with you two. On our last cruise we met another couple and invited them to join our group....who knows. Not sure what your comfort level is.

I love Jamaica and have spent a lot of time there. I will not convince you of anything, but I will tell you that Jamaica has some of the most friendly, hilarious people of all of the Caribbean. Are there some bad eggs? Sure.

Jamaica gets a bad reputation due to their sales tactics. You see, for many of them, much of their income comes in from the tourist trade. When a ship is in town, they want to make as much money as possible. Can they be overbearing? Sure. Can you walk away from that when you want, absolutely. It's their lifestyle and way to try and get you to buy their goods.

We tend to engage them kindly and not turn our noses up or run the other way. We smile, chat with people and they appreciate it.

All that being said, there are some GORGEOUS places to see in Jamaica, and Ocho Rios is no slouch when it comes to great scenery and fun activities! As mentioned above there is alot to do. Get a guide (hire one at the dock, or pre-book one online) and enjoy your day. Generally speaking, if you hire someone that is fairly well known, they will give you a wonderful tour.