Redentore Festival in Venice.

chromered7

We are booked in 2015 for a 14 day cruise starting with an overnight in Venice. On the same day we get there it will be the Redentore Festival has anyone experienced this and have you any tips about attending. It will be our first time from Venice and there will be lots of fireworks and and decorated boats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We visited Venice back in the 80s during a popular festival. People were dressed in medieval clothing and there were boat races on the canals. I think it was called the Regatta.

The city was jammed with people. While we enjoyed some of the events, the huge crowds limited our getting around.

I don't know if the Redentore Festival is similar, but if you plan on visiting the Doge's Palace or St. Marks, you might have a problem.

We are booked in 2015 for a 14 day cruise starting with an overnight in Venice. On the same day we get there it will be the Redentore Festival has anyone experienced this and have you any tips about attending. It will be our first time from Venice and there will be lots of fireworks and and decorated boats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You must be cruising in July and in some ways you are extremely fortunate. My Italian cousins insisted we attend in, I think, 2006 and it was most enjoyable. Apparently, it celebrates the end of a plague back in the 1500s or so. Fireworks, lots of boats and barges, and a generally good time was had by us, perhaps made better with the native guides. The downside is that it is really crowded and July in Venice can be very hot and humid with a lack of universal air conditioned buildings. Nevertheless, you'll be there at an important time and will appreciate the opportunity, i'm sure.

I was considering that cruise. However after hearing about the large crowds I decided against it. Hotel prices plus air will be higher and Venice is crowded enough in July without the extra crowds of locals from the main land too. I am still considering it, but with it being a 14 night cruise it means we would need to fly in the same day and not experience Venice, which I love.

I will stick to the fireworks at Disney this year. However saying that i would imagine it's a wonderful sight. You might be better taking a tour from the ship as the locals will know hoe to navigate the crowds.

Edited by heatherbelle