Choosing a European riverboat?

RMS Olympic

Although fully versed in cruise ships, river boats are uncharted territory for me. The river boats appear to be all so similar with overall dimensions the same due to waterway limitations. Décor differs from what I can see on the internet, but what about the onboard experience and the tours ?

Would appreciate any thoughts. If I were to choose a gay charter that would narrow things down easily, but if not recommendations are needed.

Looking at the Amsterdam to Basel route or perhaps the river Elbe.

As for food, I am a foodie, but realize taste and standards in cuisine are a very personal thing......so any comments will be taken into account but not be a deciding factor unless the food was really really bad.

Thanks for comments and or recommendations in advance.

Tauck

Viking

AMA

Emerald

Uniworld

?

We have never done a riverboat cruise up until this coming June. We have booked on Avalon doing a 7 day through France and then being shuttled over and doing a 7 day through Germany. So, all will be new to us. Can fill you in when we return if that isn't too late.

We have done a couple each with Viking, Vantage an Grand Circle. I would not hesitate to recommend any of them! Extremely knowledgeable staff, guides and tour directors. Not only for what tours and excursions you might go on, but being thoroughly knowledgeable about the towns/cities you might overnight in. Depending what your interests might be they can tell you where to go to see what, how to get there, what tram/trolley or bus to take, how much it will cost, how long it will take and how to get back. The tours and excursions are EXTREMELY thorough and I've joked that after some of them, I expect 3 college credits. Just about everything is included in the price and it's possible to spend no additional $$$$. If your really, really want to see some of Europe, a river cruise is WAY superior to an "oceanliner" cruise, whereby you only see port cities, only spend 8 or so hrs there and rarely spend an overnight to enjoy an evening or latenight ashore.