Colon to Panama City

crowntravelevents

The ship goes through the canal and stops at the Pacific end? That would be the best way to go from Colon to Panama City. There is also a train, but I do not know where exactly the train stations are. I saw the train from the canal and I saw train excursions offered on some ships.

Edited by Floridiana

Windstar ports in Colon, staying in Panama City a few nights. What is the best way to get from Colon to Panama City?

Was hoping someone with a bit more direct knowledge respond... since I have only done this in the opposite direction with a number of fellow travelers and a driver that was arranged by someone else. There will be cabs at the pier, the down side of this most of them are more suited to shorter trips. The cabs are on the small side and generally have limited trunk space as they run on natural gas (or LPG?) and have a large tank in the trunk limiting luggage space. While I have no idea on what they would charge, you probably will have to factor in that they will have to deadhead back to Colon. I would try and see if Windstar has any transfer options or see if your hotel can provide any suggestions. I'm sure as a last resort you can arrange something at the pier, just don't have any feel for what the cost might be.

The ship goes through the canal and stops at the Pacific end? That would be the best way to go from Colon to Panama City. There is also a train, but I do not know where exactly the train stations are. I saw the train from the canal and I saw train excursions offered on some ships.

The train probably would not be a convenient choice. They only offer passenger service Mon-Fri and that consists of one train from Corozal (Panama) at 7AM and then one return from Colon a little after 5PM, primarily for business commuters.

When we did this cruise with Windstar last January, they arranged a bus from the hotel in Panama City to Colon. If you are not staying at the hotel Windstar uses (forgot the name of it) you could probably book the bus and meet it at that hotel. In any case, I would call Windstar and ask them about transportation from Panama City to Colon.

Edited by Alturia

• 1 month later...

We Have just returned from our New Year's Eve cruise on the Wind Spirit. You're going to love it!

We stayed in Panama City for 3 nights prior to our cruise at a lovely boutique hotel in Caseo Viejo. After exploring the old part of the city, our hotel arranged for a driver to take us "through the canal" and to Colon and the ship. We were a family of four. The base rate would have been $120 for two and we were charged $150 which we thought was fair. Our driver was retired US military and had worked on canal and was wonderful! We did a little sightseeing along the way. I believe it took us just over an hour or so for the trip.

The railway isn't reliable and doesn't run some days. You can't book it any longer. I believe you can book transportation through the cruise line but you have to do it two weeks out and get to their hotel.

You're going to love it!

• 2 months later...

I am wondering how long we would have to sightsee on Saturday morning if we fly in the day before. I like the idea of having our own car and getting to see something of Panama City. What time does boarding begin?

Also, does anyone have info on pricing for the precruise hotel/transport package? Just for comparison's sake.

I am wondering how long we would have to sightsee on Saturday morning if we fly in the day before. I like the idea of having our own car and getting to see something of Panama City. What time does boarding begin?

Also, does anyone have info on pricing for the precruise hotel/transport package? Just for comparison's sake.

Usually boarding will begin somewhere around 4 hours prior to sailing, possibly a little earlier than that if there are no issues with the departing passengers. You would have a little time Saturday morning for some sightseeing, but I would limit that to what you could take in on your drive over to Colon. Probably the easiest sight to take in would be Miraflores Locks on your way over. Assuming a 4 or 5PM sailing, I would not be comfortable arriving much after 1PM.

When you say having your own car... I hope you mean a car with a driver! Directional signage in Panama can be very challenging.

Can't help with a precruise package.