Where to stay in NY before cruising on Gem

BiancaV

Would the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield be a good choice if flying in to EWR the day before cruise from Manhattan cruise terminal? Do they have shuttle from airport to hotel ? Shuttle to cruise port? Price is very reasonable for the hotel. Suggestions???

Really not a good choice without a car. It's 17 miles from EWR. Since you're not parking a car, you would have to pay for a car service from EWR to the Hilton Gardens and from HG to the port.

What happened to the Novotel? Could you clarify your overall budget and sightseeing objectives so we can give you better integrated advice?

The Hilton is on Westchester Ave, which leads directly to the entrance to the Hutchinson River Parkway south (ask at hotel). From the Hutch take left lane exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. This road ends at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Do you have any advice on staying in NYC or Westchester Ave?

We should be leaving around 11-12. We're paying $163 for the Hilton.

Where exactly are you coming from in the Boston area?

My advice is to just stay at the Hilton. It's a summer Friday afternoon and by the time you get there, you will be glad to get off the highway without having to deal with the extra time, traffic, and stress to get yourselves into Manhattan, find your hotel, and lodge your car for $50-60.

The hotel is in a nice suburban area with ample grounds and free parking. You could consider packing an overnight bag and leaving your cruise luggage in the car.

Where exactly are you coming from in the Boston area?

My advice is to just stay at the Hilton. It's a summer Friday afternoon and by the time you get there, you will be glad to get off the highway without having to deal with the extra time, traffic, and stress to get yourselves into Manhattan, find your hotel, and lodge your car for $50-60.

The hotel is in a nice suburban area with ample grounds and free parking. You could consider packing an overnight bag and leaving your cruise luggage in the car.

We're from the north shore but stopping down the Cape first so I think you're right. That makes most sense. Thanks so much! The overnight bag is a great tip! I will definitely do that.

Do you have any advice on staying in NYC or Westchester Ave?

Westchester Ave is excellent. Plenty of fun stuff right in white plains to entertain you and all of the hotels have pools so perhaps just a nice evening at the hotel?

The driving directions given previously are spot on but you can also just take 287 aka the cross Westchester expressway to the saw mill too

The hotels are right on the Westchester Ave service road which is very nice btw and not a typical service road trust me and Westchester Ave leads right into the cross Westchester expressway which will get you to the southbound saw mill parkway

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We should be leaving around 11-12. We're paying $163 for the Hilton.

I hate to tell you this but if you are leaving Boston at 11-12 and stopping on the cape what time are you planning to start out for Westchester?

Unfortunately you will encounter massive traffic on 95 starting in providence and then again in new haven and Stamford. I'm sure you have encountered it before being from Boston so you know what I'm saying

If you leave the cape around 3 you won't be at the Hilton until 9 or later. Of course that's worse case. I hope.

I think based on this timing NYC is out so stay in Westchester

Even if you left the cape at noon you will still get a good share of traffic by 3/4pm wherever you are

The best thing you could do to avoid traffic is leave Boston at 8am or earlier and then leave the cape ASAP depending on why you are going there in the first place. I'll assume to pick someone up?

Fingers crossed you don't hit traffic but remember it is a summer Friday However southbound could definitely be better on 95 than northbound but I wouldn't bet on it

I hate to tell you this but if you are leaving Boston at 11-12 and stopping on the cape what time are you planning to start out for Westchester?

Unfortunately you will encounter massive traffic on 95 starting in providence and then again in new haven and Stamford. I'm sure you have encountered it before being from Boston so you know what I'm saying

If you leave the cape around 3 you won't be at the Hilton until 9 or later. Of course that's worse case. I hope.

I think based on this timing NYC is out so stay in Westchester

Even if you left the cape at noon you will still get a good share of traffic by 3/4pm wherever you are

The best thing you could do to avoid traffic is leave Boston at 8am or earlier and then leave the cape ASAP depending on why you are going there in the first place. I'll assume to pick someone up?

Fingers crossed you don't hit traffic but remember it is a summer Friday However southbound could definitely be better on 95 than northbound but I wouldn't bet on it

I hadn't even thought about traffic at that time! Thanks for pointing that out. We have to drop off our son. I'll definitely change my plans and leave earlier. Our problem is morning traffic heading towards the Cape. Maybe we could even spend the night Thursday down the Cape. Thanks again for the heads up!!

Didn't even consider your trip was Boston to the Cape and then the Cape to NY on the same day! That's an entirely different trip.

As suggested think through the logistics carefully. If you trash yourselves getting to NY, you'll really need the cruise to recover!

Didn't even consider your trip was Boston to the Cape and then the Cape to NY on the same day! That's an entirely different trip.

As suggested think through the logistics carefully. If you trash yourselves getting to NY, you'll really need the cruise to recover!

I didn't think too much about it either until now! I'm definitely rethinking the logistics.

I'd get to the cape the night before and then get on the road by 9am Friday if doable You would be to the rye Hilton by 2 most likely and even then I wouldn't consider bypassing it for a night in NYC

Stay in Westchester and make life easy for yourself

However another thought but much more work for you but would save you the port parking is to take a taxi or (?)free hotel shuttle to rye metro north train to grand central and then taxi to port

Same for return

Train $20 r/t off peak pp

Taxi to train then taxi to port perhaps $60 r/t

If the Hilton lets you leave your car for the week it might be a great deal

And trust me they have plenty of parking at the Hilton

I'd get to the cape the night before and then get on the road by 9am Friday if doable You would be to the rye Hilton by 2 most likely and even then I wouldn't consider bypassing it for a night in NYC

Stay in Westchester and make life easy for yourself

However another thought but much more work for you but would save you the port parking is to take a taxi or (?)free hotel shuttle to rye metro north train to grand central and then taxi to port

Same for return

Train $20 r/t off peak pp

Taxi to train then taxi to port perhaps $60 r/t

If the Hilton lets you leave your car for the week it might be a great deal

And trust me they have plenty of parking at the Hilton

Thanks but we'll just drive in and pay the $$ for the convenience of having our car at the port. That's a good tip though!

Thanks but we'll just drive in and pay the $$ for the convenience of having our car at the port. That's a good tip though!

Oh I agree and always park at the port but so many on these boards are looking to not pay the port parking that I just offered it up

Btw if you leave the Hilton by 9am you are parking your car by 10 with no waiting

If you change your mind, Ink48 is very close to the cruise terminal.

That's funny you mention Ink48. I was looking at that hotel but got scared off when people complained how noisy it was.

If anyone wants to stay at the nearby HI Express near the terminal the rewards club is having a sale on points. A stay is 40,000 points but go to IHG club website and you can purchase 40,000 points for the cost of 20,000

• 2 weeks later...
If you change your mind, Ink48 is very close to the cruise terminal.

Ok so just found out that I don't need to drive to the Cape before heading to NYC so that will save a bunch of time! So we're back to thinking going into NYC and staying at Ink48. Hoping this is a good choice? If anyone has stayed there please share your thoughts. Room suggestions etc. thanks!

May I just reiterate that you should take 95 to the cross Westchester then the saw mill to the Henry Hudson which puts you on the west side of NYC but I have no clue where the ink hotel is. You will avoid lots of traffic with this route

However I would plan your approach to NYC for around 10am the earliest unless of course you want to plan an approach around 7 am If it were a Saturday morning there is really no traffic but not for a Friday approach.

There are many alternate routes and maybe the mass pike works for you and then down the taconic or wherever

You will get rush hour traffic on 95 of course

I'd think a 5/6 hour trip at best

Either way you should be parked and settled into your hotel before 2pm with a nice amount of time left to explore NYC

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May I just reiterate that you should take 95 to the cross Westchester then the saw mill to the Henry Hudson which puts you on the west side of NYC but I have no clue where the ink hotel is. You will avoid lots of traffic with this route

However I would plan your approach to NYC for around 10am the earliest unless of course you want to plan an approach around 7 am If it were a Saturday morning there is really no traffic but not for a Friday approach.

There are many alternate routes and maybe the mass pike works for you and then down the taconic or wherever

Either way you should be parked and settled into your hotel before 2pm with a nice amount of time left to explore NYC

Thanks so much for that, I'm not familiar at all with driving to NYC so it's much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked in White Plains instead. After many many hours and torturing my DH I decided on splurging and doing the Ritz. I found a decent rate so I went for it. Any dinner recommendations or other things to do? I figured this was a nice compromise, not right in NYC but not in the middle of nowhere and we can walk around and enjoy

I just booked in White Plains instead. After many many hours and torturing my DH I decided on splurging and doing the Ritz. I found a decent rate so I went for it. Any dinner recommendations or other things to do? I figured this was a nice compromise, not right in NYC but not in the middle of nowhere and we can walk around and enjoy

You will love the ritz!!! 15 theater movie and 3 malls plus numerous restaurants and great pub style bars.... and you walk to all!!!! Let me know what you are interested in eating and I'll suggest. Lots of new places opening and it's actually hard to keep track

Train to NYC 3 blocks away in case you want to go to NYC. Time permitting

Walmart and target 1 block away for last minute stuff

Not sure what day of the week you are in wp but right across the street from ritz Wp has outdoor noontime and evening concerts

The gorgeous kensico dam plaza is 2 miles up the road and you can walk across the top. No cars allowed

Wp is a mini manhattan of sorts and high rise stuff going up all around but not right next to the ritz last I looked. Lol

Plenty of banks near the ritz. Wp has 60,000 residents approx but by day closer to 200,000

It's the county seat and is a work haven for the legal profession. Need a notary in wp? Chances are your neighbor is an attorney lol

Oh and Wp is a new Mecca for movie shoots....Tom hanks and Meryl Streep spotted on north broadway today I hear oh and Wp is the home of STEPINAC HIGH SCHOOL....the alma mater of Alan Alda and Jon Voight and the school just won yet again the coveted Metro Award for their production of Hunchback. Google this it's interesting

We have lots of Yankees around here too...usually found pushing a cart at stop n shop. Lol. Now I know that is special to you!!! Lol. You made a great choice picking Wp to stop.

Keep me posted. What day are you here? I'll post if there is anything extra special going on ok?

My food suggestion....Anthony coal fired pizza. Great food and great music piped in and sometimes live.

Something unique about Wp is that the residents are regular down to earth people and everyone seems to notice this

They go from working class to upper class but Wp has maintained a beautiful middle America existence that so many people lament is long gone....but not in wp.

Edited by Crusin6

Oh I'm so glad I booked there!! We are coming in on Fri the 11th of August. My husband is a steakhouse fan. I did see BLT but it looks pricey although maybe it's worth it? Just looking for other options. I'm an Italian fan. We have an Anthonys near us so I know the pizza is fabulous. We also love pubs as well. I should tell DH to put his Red Sox hat away!!lol

Oh I'm so glad I booked there!! We are coming in on Fri the 11th of August. My husband is a steakhouse fan. I did see BLT but it looks pricey although maybe it's worth it? Just looking for other options. I'm an Italian fan. We have an Anthonys near us so I know the pizza is fabulous. We also love pubs as well. I should tell DH to put his Red Sox hat away!!lol

Not only do we have Mariano Rivera building his mansion in town we have Joe Gerardi right outside the city border and yup he's at the grocery store too.

Blt is pricey I hear but good of course

Ruth's Chris and Benjamin steakhouses close by only a few miles but certainly not in wp

For Italian ..la bocca...graziellas ...mulinos...all excellent all pricey all within walking distance

For lesser priced Italian you would need to drive but if so the Villagio next to the Christmas tree shop a mile away.

You can get great Italian though without driving. I'll report back about La Bocca in a few days

The pubs are all gathered together and as excepted pub hopping is a sport here and not just with the millennials. These pubs are family oriented too. Many do that big $15 sundae deal

I honestly can't think of a great steakhouse other than blt around here

Might as well stay in your immediate vicinity to enjoy the area I guess

We have a few high end excellent Italian restaurants of course

The ritz is in an area that caters to business/legal etc execs so the venues are mostly all very good

Ritz used to have a top floor restaurant on the 42nd floor. I think it might just be a cocktail lounge now though

My suggestion is to try to get into town early as possible and enjoy

Edited by Crusin6

August 11 actually might be a busy day in wp

Last day for all the corporate college interns! Lol. Long farewell lunches then off to happy hour!!!

Keep your car parked wherever the ritz tells you and I assume they have their own space?

Our cops are good and they are vigilant so best to just walk in the area no need to drive if drinking.