Where to stay in NY before cruising on Gem

BiancaV

Just booked the Gem for next year! Already looking at my days to go!lol So I was looking at the Hilton Westchester. Anyone stayed here? Looks good, price was good and looks to be about 40 minutes from the pier. Figured you can't go wrong with a Hilton.

Hilton is perfect. Plenty of great places to stay along Westchester Ave. Look for the best deal. We have Doral Arrowood . Renaissance. Hilton. Cambria suites and crown plaza and ritz Carleton in white plains and walking distance to great stuff. Marriott on route 119 that has a Ruth's Chris steakhouse

Can't go wrong staying in a 5 mile radius of white plains

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hilton is perfect. Plenty of great places to stay along Westchester Ave. Look for the best deal. We have Doral Arrowood . Renaissance. Hilton. Cambria suites and crown plaza and ritz Carleton in white plains and walking distance to great stuff. Marriott on route 119 that has a Ruth's Chris steakhouse

Can't go wrong staying in a 5 mile radius of white plains

Great thanks! Would White Plains be a better bet?

Yes probably. You would park in a very safe municipal lot that might cost $10 or so for overnight. You could walk to dozens of incredible restaurants and a cinema delux 2 great malls and every store you can think of if you stay at Ritz or Cambria $$$$ or crown plaza $$$ by my estimate. If you stay at the others I mentioned above you would have free parking and a very very easy drive into downtown white plains and park $1 per hour in a very safe muni lot if you want to enjoy Wp for the evening

White plains is a city of 55,000 residents but swells to 259,000 by day as we have just about any and every corporate office here as well.

Lots of millennials settling here and we actually have a very hearty reverse commute into Wp from NYC which is about 45 minutes or less by train.

Not really sure of hotel prices but the Cambria suites was going for $150 last Saturday night when it was 95 degrees and lightening out and the power went out in my neighborhood.

Edited by luvtheships

Yes probably. You would park in a very safe municipal lot that might cost $10 or so for overnight. You could walk to dozens of incredible restaurants and a cinema delux 2 great malls and every store you can think of if you stay at Ritz or Cambria $$$$ or crown plaza $$$ by my estimate. If you stay at the others I mentioned above you would have free parking and a very very easy drive into downtown white plains and park $1 per hour in a very safe muni lot if you want to enjoy Wp for the evening

White plains is a city of 55,000 residents but swells to 259,000 by day as we have just about any and every corporate office here as well.

Lots of millennials settling here and we actually have a very hearty reverse commute into Wp from NYC which is about 45 minutes or less by train.

Not really sure of hotel prices but the Cambria suites was going for $150 last Saturday night when it was 95 degrees and lightening out and the power went out in my neighborhood.

Thanks so much!! Great advice. The Hilton was offering a room with 20% off food and beverage for $144 which I thought was great. I'll check out Cambria Suites as well. Thanks again!

Thanks so much!! Great advice. The Hilton was offering a room with 20% off food and beverage for $144 which I thought was great. I'll check out Cambria Suites as well. Thanks again!

Just to clarify you are looking at the rye town Hilton on Westchester Ave correct? It may have either a rye Or Harrison address as it is directly on the border btw.

That's a good price for the Hilton but just an FYI the Hilton is located only about 2 miles from the areas known as port Chester and rye....which are culinary masterpieces as far as restaurants are concerned. Plus depending on time of year you could go to Rye Playland and walk on the pier and beach. The scene with the fortune teller in the movie Big was filmed there.

Rye town Hilton is about 5 miles from white plains on a straight easy to navigate road. It's a great location too but the Hilton requires you to drive if going out and Cambria Ritz and crown plaza in wp are walking areas

If you give me an idea of how many hours you will be in the areas I can make some good suggestions

Are you checking n at 8 pm or 1 pm? Fwiw earlier the better IMHO. Both wp and rye are spectacular areas to spend time in and luvtheships is spot on with the description of white plains

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Just to clarify you are looking at the rye town Hilton on Westchester Ave correct? It may have either a rye Or Harrison address as it is directly on the border btw.

That's a good price for the Hilton but just an FYI the Hilton is located only about 2 miles from the areas known as port Chester and rye....which are culinary masterpieces as far as restaurants are concerned. Plus depending on time of year you could go to Rye Playland and walk on the pier and beach. The scene with the fortune teller in the movie Big was filmed there.

Rye town Hilton is about 5 miles from white plains on a straight easy to navigate road. It's a great location too but the Hilton requires you to drive if going out and Cambria Ritz and crown plaza in wp are walking areas

If you give me an idea of how many hours you will be in the areas I can make some good suggestions

Are you checking n at 8 pm or 1 pm? Fwiw earlier the better IMHO. Both wp and rye are spectacular areas to spend time in and luvtheships is spot on with the description of white plains

It is the Hiton in Rye Brook on Westchester Ave. I'm coming from Mass and need to make a stop down the Cape first. I'm hoping to be there by 3:00. Probably not enough time for too much but enough time to settle in and have a nice dinner?

The rye town Hilton is a good choice then after a drive from the cape

It's located about a mile from where 95 veers off to 287

If you do feel like driving for any reason later that night rye is great too. It's small town upper crust America that borders working class Port Chester

Port Chester is known for loads of great fun ethnic restaurants and the Capitol Theater (lots of great performers)

Rye is an adorable small town Main Street with cute boutique stores and bistro style restaurants among others

Both areas are incredible

Edited by Crusin6

The rye town Hilton is a good choice then after a drive from the cape

It's located about a mile from where 95 veers off to 287

If you do feel like driving for any reason later that night rye is great too. It's small town upper crust America that borders working class Port Chester

Port Chester is known for loads of great fun ethnic restaurants and the Capitol Theater (lots of great performers)

Rye is an adorable small town Main Street with cute boutique stores and bistro style restaurants among others

Both areas are incredible

Sounds great! Looking forward to it.

What date are you sailing? Hotel budget?

Carol, you seem to be the expert on here. :) We need your help. There are 4 of us, all adults, traveling from Maine March 28 to take the Gem out of Manhatten. We need suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where to stay for 1 night, should we suck it up and pay for parking at the pier? We want to sight see in Manhatten the night before. do we use our own car to try to navigate the city or taxi around?? Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have thoughts on Ridgefield Park Nj to stay? That looks to be 20 minutes from the pier.

And a miserable ride over the George Washington bridge or a tunnel

Plus you say you are driving from the cape correct?

To get to jersey you have to cross a bridge

Btw the cross westchester to the tappan zee around 3 pm will be backed up all the way to Connecticut or if you are lucky only backed up as far as white plains

Or you can deal with the traffic to get over the George Washington only to have to come back over it the next morning

Lol. Stay in Westchester!!!

The rye Hilton is in a very nice area

Edited by luvtheships

And a miserable ride over the George Washington bridge or a tunnel

Plus you say you are driving from the cape correct?

To get to jersey you have to cross a bridge

Btw the cross westchester to the tappan zee around 3 pm will be backed up all the way to Connecticut or if you are lucky only backed up as far as white plains

Or you can deal with the traffic to get over the George Washington only to have to come back over it the next morning

Lol. Stay in Westchester!!!

The rye Hilton is in a very nice area

Ok great! That makes me feel better to know I picked a good spot. Not knowing the area at all I was confusing myself.

Ok great! That makes me feel better to know I picked a good spot. Not knowing the area at all I was confusing myself.

Rye town Hilton is actually perfect and you won't be disappointed. It's about a mile from where you will exit from 95 at the Connecticut /Westchester border

I live near there so any questions you need answered feel free to ask

Edited by luvtheships

We are coming from southern NJ and are looking for park, cruise and shuttle to Manhattan. The only one I can find is Ridgefield Park Hilton, which I believe would be convenient for us to access. When I check the website it appears it is $264 per couple/room, although we only have one car. Has anyone used this? Thanks for any advice.

We are coming from southern NJ and are looking for park, cruise and shuttle to Manhattan. The only one I can find is Ridgefield Park Hilton, which I believe would be convenient for us to access. When I check the website it appears it is $264 per couple/room, although we only have one car. Has anyone used this? Thanks for any advice.

Are you that far away that you must drive up the night before?

If not my suggestion is to drive in that morning if you are comfortable with the time of year and just park at the pier.

Max charge is $400 and there might be a coupon for the Gem

Regardless....$264 will cost you more with driver and housekeeper tips. Is the $264 including tax and hotel fees if any?

The inconvenience of waiting for a shuttle driver upon debark would be the clincher that would make me park at the very safe easily accessible pier parking just so I didn't need to track down a shuttle driver to get back to my car to transfer my luggage again

By just getting into your car at the pier and driving off you would be on the road home easily 90 minutes sooner

Plus you have the cost of dinner the night before the cruise among others costs I would imagine

And if possible do easy walk off

Saving $100 isn't worth the inconvenience to me

Edited by luvtheships

Thank you for your reply.

We are about two hours away, but are of the "better safe than sorry" mindset, we are all seniors, and don't want to take a chance on either bad weather or traffic...it's not about the cost of parking at the pier.

I'd like to hear from anyone who used the Hilton Ridgefield Park plan before, if possible.

Thank you for your reply.

We are about two hours away, but are of the "better safe than sorry" mindset, we are all seniors, and don't want to take a chance on either bad weather or traffic...it's not about the cost of parking at the pier.

I'd like to hear from anyone who used the Hilton Ridgefield Park plan before, if possible.

We don't have any reviews yet. This is a new package. However a number if posters have said they have booked it.

Read this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2365921&highlight=ridgefield

Bottom line, with 4 people, two rooms, and one car you're going to have to call the hotel to get a price. My understanding of what folks have posted is that you would book one room at the park/cruise price, one room at the regular price, and the transportation for the 2 extra people would be $10/pp. Don't know if this is still what they offer. As I said this is a new package and I think the hotel is adjusting things as they run across different scenarios of numbers of cars, rooms, and people.

• 8 months later...

Hello again! 3 months until I head to NYC so I'm starting up my research again and I'm looking at the best route from where I'll be staying ( Hilton WestChester in Rye Brook NY) to the cruise terminal. . Just making sure what is the best route. I have GPS but it's not great so any advice would be very helpful!

Hello again! 3 months until I head to NYC so I'm starting up my research again and I'm looking at the best route from where I'll be staying ( Hilton WestChester in Rye Brook NY) to the cruise terminal. . Just making sure what is the best route. I have GPS but it's not great so any advice would be very helpful!

The Hilton is on Westchester Ave, which leads directly to the entrance to the Hutchinson River Parkway south (ask at hotel). From the Hutch take left lane exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. This road ends at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Thanks so much! We were just now debating staying right in NYC using Priceline. I don't know if I should just leave it alone and keep our reservation or look into NYC. So confused!!!lol

Would the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield be a good choice if flying in to EWR the day before cruise from Manhattan cruise terminal? Do they have shuttle from airport to hotel ? Shuttle to cruise port? Price is very reasonable for the hotel. Suggestions???