GoPro Hero 4 - Oct 5th release

just4steven

I'm sure others got the announcement email as well. I pretty much had an idea of what the specs would be so right now I don't have a big "wow" factor, but I will look into it more and see what kinds of goodies it has that I have missed. I'm probably going to pass on it and wait for a 2nd generation version next year, not sure though. I do love the fact they now have the low price model! Great little camera for the price!

I'm sure others got the announcement email as well. I pretty much had an idea of what the specs would be so right now I don't have a big "wow" factor, but I will look into it more and see what kinds of goodies it has that I have missed. I'm probably going to pass on it and wait for a 2nd generation version next year, not sure though. I do love the fact they now have the low price model! Great little camera for the price!

I wish the 4 offered the touch screen AND the higher resolution . . . right now you get the screen on the 4 silver and the higher resolution on the 4 black.

I wish the 4 offered the touch screen AND the higher resolution . . . right now you get the screen on the 4 silver and the higher resolution on the 4 black.

I just saw that too, lol. That would definitely make it much more appealing if the 4k 30fps had the touch screen.

I don't know, I guess it's just me and I haven't messed with the 4k much on any camera, so I really have no use for it at this moment in time, and I think that's why I will wait another years and see if there is a 4+ model and what that offers. I need some 4k tv's in the house first and need to learn more about it as I love playing back videos on a flat screen :) Who knows, I might get suckered into it before my January cruise though, lol

Edited by just4steven

I would totally love the night modes - but the rest just isn't enough to tempt me - yet. I don't feel like I have gotten the best out of my 3BE yet so I'll keep playing with it for now.

My SD cards max out at 30mbp/s write/read right now - so I'd have to invest in better cards to even think about the higher resolutions.

If they bumped the 720 frame rate up significantly, THAT would have been cool too, I dig slow motion animals and watersports.

Well they say the gopro hero 3 is the todays camera, and the gopro hero 4 is the beyond camera.

$419.00 will be the price to buy at, not $500.00 and less a penny

watch out for th next gopro to be released in Feburary 2015. the gopro Hero 4+ with added features and some extra settings.

You could buy a LCD BackPac for the 4 Black. I have the LCD BackPac for my 3 Black but, I have never used it yet. Personal I think the iPhone App pretty well does everything that an LCD does. I want a second Go Pro not sure if I will just get a 3+ or a 4.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

You could buy a LCD BackPac for the 4 Black. I have the LCD BackPac for my 3 Black but, I have never used it yet. Personal I think the iPhone App pretty well does everything that an LCD does. I want a second Go Pro not sure if I will just get a 3+ or a 4.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Does the BackPac fit inside the waterproof housing? That would be my concern with the Iphone app . . . it wouldn't be accessible for shooting underwater.

I'm really toying with getting a 4 before my next cruise, in May. Hopefully they'll come out with the 4+ before then and it will have the higher res with the viewfinder in the same camera.

Does the BackPac fit inside the waterproof housing? That would be my concern with the Iphone app . . . it wouldn't be accessible for shooting underwater.

I'm really toying with getting a 4 before my next cruise, in May. Hopefully they'll come out with the 4+ before then and it will have the higher res with the viewfinder in the same camera.

The answer is YES! Because when you buy the LCD Backpac they also include a whole array of new back doors that fit the now larger GoPro with BackPac attached. I also have the BackPac Battery Pac which also comes with the same set of extra doors. If I remember correctly the Battery BackPac also comes with a complete spare Hero 3 (not 3+) housing. Which is pretty sweet because that alone could run you $40 bucks.

The LCD Screen is also a touch screen and one of the doors provided is a waterproof back door that you can touch along with a waterproof one that is non touch plus a skeleton door which is non waterproof of course. I would really think twice if you really need the LCD screen IMO I don't think you would use it. The Battery BackPac is a much better use of your cash IMO. The Go Pro fisheye that is offered just becomes second nature and you will not need a LCD view. Beside the LCD screen is extremely hard on battery life. Under water you don't want to have to come up and change a battery because drained of the LCD screen. Your hand will be wet and chance of dropping your nice unprotected Go Pro in the water. Not a nice scenario.

Personally I am BIG fan of the iPhone App over the remote. Don't get me wrong there are times the remote is better than the app ie: controlling more than one Go Pro at a time the app can't do that. On our past Celebrity Equinox cruise while at St Kitts we were doing Zip Lining and my intention was to take the remote but its batter was dead so I took my iPhone instead and it worked perfectly. Here is link to that video. Not all Go Pro Footage. FYI I used the battery Pac for Zip Lining and Lots of life left and this was running the Wifi so my iPhone could remain connected to it at all times.

[YOUTUBE]vsZT3EwgOHM[/YOUTUBE]

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

For what it's worth - totally agree with above! Well said and true to the real world use I've seen in the past year. I just don't use the video bac as much as I thought I would - rather just use the app or shoot from the hip.

Lots of great information, I appreciate it!

It will be fun to see how this all rolls out over the next several months. The whole video thing is new to me; I shot video with my digicam on our recent cruise and I'm really excited about what it offers over stills. I think the GoPro is how I want to do it, even though I'm not an adventure kinda guy. I just like its compact size (for my camera bag) and how it's waterproof.

The videos you've posted look really good!

Edited by websiteauthor

the original lcd back pkg will work with todays gopro. they come with all the necessary doors.

If you nav through with te cam, lcd or app, you have options to sue which one works best while the lcd is on.

gopro consumes bat, more with lcd, and more with Bluetooth, and more with Wi-Fi. Gopro states 10 minute difference.

the original lcd back pkg will work with todays gopro. they come with all the necessary doors.

If you nav through with te cam, lcd or app, you have options to sue which one works best while the lcd is on.

gopro consumes bat, more with lcd, and more with Bluetooth, and more with Wi-Fi. Gopro states 10 minute difference.

ok, I hate to admit it but I'm really looking at the GoPro 4 black. The silver has the viewscreen I want, but for $80 I can add that to the black and enjoy the black's maximum image quality.

Stupid question - the GoPro has image stabilization built into it, right?

I would probably use the app most of the time, but having the viewfinder for going into the water would be really nice.

Edited by websiteauthor

ok, I hate to admit it but I'm really looking at the GoPro 4 black. The silver has the viewscreen I want, but for $80 I can add that to the black and enjoy the black's maximum image quality.

Stupid question - the GoPro has image stabilization built into it, right?

I would probably use the app most of the time, but having the viewfinder for going into the water would be really nice.

NO optical image stabilization, GoPro would have gone, with electronic image stabilization before they went optical? Gopro is smart not to release info and have leaks to the public, and that they did their best to keep it in check.

Your stabbilzation I not offered or will be offered to an Action cam. use a Tiffen Curve, swiftgo, feiyu

Remotes are extra, so that will be the option to decide, if you want to spend $80.00 for a LCD pack.

I use my phone more than I use the LCD pack, but the LCD pack uses less power consumption then the APP, and now Bluetooth is added, and that as well still uses less than Wi-Fi.

Edited by gopro63

I have been considering a GoPro-ish camera for a while. I'm currently looking at the Sony HDR-AS100V which has stabilization, a 17mm equivalent Zeiss lens and comes with a water/shock proof housing. I think it can be controlled from a smartphone too. What has me interested is the still mode takes 13MP images for nice, detailed stop-motion and time-lapse recording.

The size, $299 price and included housing is pretty attractive since action video isn't a big deal for me yet.

I also need to determine if their accessory dog harness will fit a hyperactive chihuahua...:)

Dave

NO optical image stabilization, GoPro would have gone, with electronic image stabilization before they went optical? Gopro is smart not to release info and have leaks to the public, and that they did their best to keep it in check.

Your stabbilzation I not offered or will be offered to an Action cam. use a Tiffen Curve, swiftgo, feiyu

Remotes are extra, so that will be the option to decide, if you want to spend $80.00 for a LCD pack.

I use my phone more than I use the LCD pack, but the LCD pack uses less power consumption then the APP, and now Bluetooth is added, and that as well still uses less than Wi-Fi.

Those gimbal devices are remarkable. I was looking into a Phantom 2 Vision Plus drone, and the gimbals on that thing made for incredibly smooth video, even at higher elevations in high winds. If I drop $500 on the GoPro 4, I'll probably have to let the stabilizer be a Christmas present LOL. Those do look very slick, though.

I'll get that LCD pack but will probably use it in specific situations. Next May when I'm on the cruise I want to be in the water so the app won't work for me then. The app does sound convenient though.

I have been considering a GoPro-ish camera for a while. I'm currently looking at the Sony HDR-AS100V which has stabilization,

For what it is worth I am going to give you my two cents. I am a huge fan of Sony Cameras and very high on my wish list is the newish RX100 Mark 3. In my post above the Sky Safari Zip Lining video the cameras used were a Go Pro 3 Black mounted on my helmet and a Sony HDR-GW77 mounted on a Go Pole. When I was looking at getting an action Cam I gave serious thought to the Sony Action Cam. Why? 1) being a Sony Fan and 2) is uses the same batteries that my other 3 Sony camera use. But, when it came to pulling out my wallet, (actually Christmas gift) I went with the Go Pro. Very Happy with my decision and love this little baby. I will warn you though it is very addictive and you can spend a small fortune in accessories. (DJI Phantom also on wish list) Go Pro has so many more mounts and accessories available for it over the Sony Action Cam. Just for fun we strapped the Chesty to our house cat, he didn't like it very much. Go Pro just recently release a new mount for dogs. I am no where near a Go Pro Expert but, I do take my tech very seriously. IMO Sony will soon abandon the Action Cam because of Go Pro's market dominance.

Hope this Helps?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

...IMO Sony will soon abandon the Action Cam because of Go Pro's market dominance.

Heard the same thing when I bought my first Sony DSLR back in 2007..."Sony won't stay in the game because of Canikon dominance". Glad I didn't listen! :)

Sony has had some issues in the past with tech like the proprietary mini-disc and memory stick formats as well as the oft-commented-upon VHS/BetaMax wars (though BetaMax dominated broadcast video for the 20 years between abandoning the consumer market and the advent of digital recording). They seem to have learned from their mistakes and are pursuing digital imaging strongly. People know that they are making great, innovative cameras but not everybody realizes that there is a very good chance that whatever brand you use, you're likely shooting with a Sony sensor. Nikon, Pentax, Canon P&S, iPhones and yes, the GoPro Hero 3 all use Sony sensors.

GoPro carries a cool factor which they play to very well but they need to keep the tech rolling and keep pricing competitive. Remember Flip Video cameras? Apple shares the same cool factor but they have kept the pricing and profits high and their smartphone market share is a fraction of what it was because of consumer demand.

That said, the action camera segment is growing as we enter the Age of the Selfie and all of the top players make great equipment. The bottom line is the same as with pure still cameras....use what suits you best because it is very hard to find a bad camera out there.

Dave

Edited by pierces

There are a lot of things we do not know, and one of them is Sony, a part of that is in our Gopro camera!

Anything you can imagine, with a GoPro. the Gimbals do a mighty fine job, no question, Can not put a LCD backpack on there, but you can rig up a powerbank and use the Wi-Fi. Since you have blue-tooth that will be the better of the both. in a way

Heard the same thing when I bought my first Sony DSLR back in 2007..."Sony won't stay in the game because of Canikon dominance". Glad I didn't listen! :)

That was only my opinion about Sony dropping the Action Cam. If you buy a Sony Action Cam I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. Just giving my personal experience when I choose between Go Pro and Action Cam.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

The goproHero4 black sells for 499.99, with a 20% and a signing, that was taken away fast, and changed to 10% off and free shipping Sale $450.00

Also 499.99 wit ha 25.00 spending giftcard at the site, found online. You do have to keep on your toes when Columbus day came, and went, in your region.

Also a brickstore offers 5% reward, but taxes are going to be paid.

Always look for the deals. and yes they will drop soon. to the sale price. I keep optimistic, then being nieve, Lol

I have no doubt that several places offer incentives . . . I just bought the GoPro 4 from Best Buy using a triple-point coupon - with the accessories I got, I'll end up receiving about $40 in reward zone certificates for future purchases. I don't think of that as a sale, however, since I still had to pay the regular list price at the time of purchase.

I think it will be some time before you get a flyer from Best Buy or Target that says "GoPro 4 - %20 off this week" . . . their prices seem to be pretty regulated from retailer to retailer.

Right now I'm just reeling from all the accessories for the GoPro . . . I've never seen a product with so many add-ons and doodads! The cost of the camera is just the beginning. If I'd owned a GoPro 3 I'd be irritated that some of the items, like the batteries, have been changed for the new camera. It feels awfully expensive to replace stuff you've already purchased. :(