Late flight into Vancouver

Tennant

We are arriving into Vancouver at midnight the night before our cruise. We are deciding between staying at the airport hotel or taking a taxi into downtown. Has anyone arrived this late? How long for customs and is it easy to get a taxi at that late hour?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A midnight arrival at YVR is not unusual, I would plan that to clear CDN customs, collect luggage etc will take 30 to 45 minutes. There will be a taxi line outside the arrivals level so that won't be an issue. If you want to see a bit of Vancouver in the morning then I would come downtown. You will likely save a few dollars by staying out near YVR. If you decide to come downtown from YVR for a hotel then a flat rate cab will run you $31 to $35 depending where in the city you decide and the trip will take about 30 minutes. There are certainly lots of national chain hotels out in the YVR area and you will still have the option of coming down to Canada Place in the morning, dropping yor luggage off with a porter there then going for a walk into historic Gastown or perhaps along the scenic sea walk toward Stanley Park.

Yup, what PD said. You'll pay the same for a cab regardless of timing these days, so less traffic = shorter trip = cheaper cab fare is no longer the case, but still being right in then heart of things maximises your sightseeing time on embarkation morning (and NB: that while you just had to go through Canadian customs/immigration at YVR, you will need to go through the same for reentering the USA as you board the ship - so the later you arrive, the quicker the process will be which means spending all morning Doing Stuff around downtown is a very sensible choice).

A YVR hotel has the downside that even if you are up & at 'em super-early, you cannot drop bags at the pier until approx 10am - a downtown hotel allows you to leave your bags there and tour unencumbered before returning for them as late as 2pm...

Yes, Vancouver cabs do take credit cards.... However, I do recommend telling the driver your plans to use a credit card prior to loading your luggage to avoid confusion.

Sometimes they will tell you the machine is broken.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks!! Good advice. Do Canadian cabs take USD or credit cards? Or should we get Canadian dollars at home before we leave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vancouver taxis take US Visa and MasterCard but no so Discovery, the only thing with a US credit card is that your issuer my have some punitive foreign exchange fees so you may care to check with them before using your card in Canada. Capital One boast that they don't charge any f.e. fee and they don't but its hidden in the exchange rate.

The cabbies will accept USD but you wont get the full exchange rate, likely about 10%, and you will get your change in CAD so keep you bank notes small. If you are only going to take a taxi and perhaps make a few small purchases in Vancouver then I probably wouldn't bother getting CAD. However, if you do decide to get some CAD then your bank is likely the best followed by an ATM at YVR or currency exchange at YVR.....the C.E will be the most expensive.

We are arriving into Vancouver at midnight the night before our cruise. We are deciding between staying at the airport hotel or taking a taxi into downtown.
With the taxi question answered... let's talk about your hotel. Thoughts....

• Vancouver is a compact city.... a downtown hotel will take 30 minutes to get to by cab. An airport hotel will take about the same time if you need to WAIT for one of their free shuttles. YVR to Richmond hotels are $20 ($16 USD) http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/transportation/yvr_2197_fare_brochure_12x9_feb2016_website-(1).pdf
  • As you are getting on a cruise ship the next morning and won't have time for sightseeing... I recommend one of the Richmond airport hotels for savings instead of staying downtown. Enter your travel dates at this hotel to give you an idea for savings that will cover the cab fare and the cruise excursions... http://www.radisson.com/richmond-hotel-bc-v6x3x9/bcvanair I also like the Raddison for value and the subway to the cruise terminal is across the street!
  • A downtown hotel is preferred for those arriving a few days earlier where you are closer to the attractions and transportation.
  • the Fairmont Airport will be the most convenient... but it's premium priced to those off Sea Island.
  • arriving late... food may be an issue as many are closed. Eat on the plane or the airport food court.

Actually Richmond and the YVR area has a large number of hotels that attract various pricing.

Westin at the Wall Centre - one of our faves

Sandman Signature

Coast Vancouver Airport - actually in south Vancouver, 7 mins from airport and has some very good rates.

Sheraton - have stayed there a number of times and is a good property.

Pacific Gateway - is at the south end of YVR, have stayed there and another fave.

Hilton and Hampton Inn

Plus a number of more budget properties like Best Western, Accent, and Ramada to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...

We have used the Accent inn in Richmond for stay park and fly out of Vancouver airport when we did a Caribbean cruise last year and were very happy with them. They have Alaska cruise packages as well with transport to the pier. Definitely a lot cheaper than the downtown hotels.

We have used the Accent inn in Richmond for stay park and fly out of Vancouver airport when we did a Caribbean cruise last year and were very happy with them. They have Alaska cruise packages as well with transport to the pier. Definitely a lot cheaper than the downtown hotels.

We have stayed at the Accents in Victoria, Kamloops and Richmond over the years. The family who built and operates them is an old Victoria family that I have known for years. The rooms are a decent size, clean and are quiet. They have a park and fly package that we availed ourselves last fall when we did the British Isles and we are doing the same next weekend when we leave for the Baltics and Scandinavia. The room and modest parking charge is less expensive than parking your car anywhere at the airport.