Get me to the ship on time

captain_rad

I could use a little help on how to get to the QE 2 from London. It looks like I can catch a train from the Waterloo station and go directly to the QE 2 terminal. But I can't find out which train or how much it would be. I was first planning to go to Southampton Central and catching a cab to the ship. But going right to the terminal seems like a much better plan. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I could use a little help on how to get to the QE 2 from London. It looks like I can catch a train from the Waterloo station and go directly to the QE 2 terminal. But I can't find out which train or how much it would be. I was first planning to go to Southampton Central and catching a cab to the ship. But going right to the terminal seems like a much better plan. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Capt rad,

In a comparable position (ie living in NW UK and wanting to get to QE2 from London) I would travel by train from Waterloo to Southampton and catch a cab to the terminal. Rail time London to Southampton is about 1hr 15 to 1 hr 30 and from Southampton station to terminal is maybe 10 mins, depending on time of day and traffic.

I'm not aware of a direct rail link to the terminal.

fares will vary depending on time of travel and how far in advance you book, plus whether you opt for 1st or 2nd class. Try uk rail planner in google to obtain details.

Hope this helps,

Anita

The UK has numerous rail operators, the company who co-ordinates this is National Rail, they have a route planner on their website at : http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ including pricing details and links to ticket sales.

Going from Waterloo is the best option, just 2hrs and the trains are once an hour I think. The trains do not go to the cruise terminal but a taxi will get you from Central to the Terminal in about 10 minutes for £5.

If you want to save cash, there is the option of going by coach, see http://www.nationalexpress.com. From London the train is the better, if you were coming from Heathow airport go by bus, Gatwick airport go by train.

Captain_Rad, I did the reverse after a QE2 E/B crossing... cab from the oceanterminal to Southampton Central (10 minutes max), train to Waterloo, 1 hour 30 minutes. I continued on to Paris via Eurostar and arrived in Paris in time for a late lunch... It was a breeze.

Have a good crossing, and I'll look for you in the Chart Room in NY.

Bobby

Two weeks ago I took the train from Waterloo to Southampton and booked it on www.megatrain.com and cost me exactly GBP1.50 Train carriage was virtually empty and it was all very comfortable.

There are cabs in the railway station which can take you to the ship in no time.

On the return I had to go from Southampton to Heathrow. Instead of taking this rip off transfer from Cunard I took the National Express coach. www.nationalexpress.co.uk

Hope this helps

Reint

It looks like I can catch a train from the Waterloo station and go directly to the QE 2 terminal.

The only train that runs directly to the QE2 is the Orient Express - that's if it's running when you go. Getting to Southampton by either train or coach is a much wiser idea - which you take would depend on where you were starting from in London and how you'd be getting to the London terminus.

Catching a cab to the ship.

Southampton is only small - it is a quick journey. Just be careful that you get off the train at Southampton Central and not Southampton Parkway. You get to the Parkway first, but it's outside Southampton and a much longer journey.

Thank you all :)

I knew if I asked, CC would come through for me. Cunard was no help because I didn't book a hotel through them. It didn't matter that they had no rooms for us or that I found rooms at the same hotel for less than half. We will take the train from Waterloo to Southampton Central.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what we should see or due in London on New Years day? Does London party at midnight like the US?

We can't wait. New years in London then 49 days on the QE 2. God, I hope I get my vacation on the right days. Oh well! :rolleyes:

My wife has started packing and our daughter is so excited. Looking forward to seeing London and the QE 2 again.

Bobby, see you in New York. Any suggestion on what to do in New York for a day?

I am pretty sure there is a big Parade in London on New years Day. and New years eve is one big party in Trafalagar Sqaure and it is also great near the river and the Houses of Parliament as I beleive that is a good spot to see in the New Year and watch the Fireworks. Enjoy:D

Bobby, see you in New York. Any suggestion on what to do in New York for a day?

Raphael,

Ah, that will be complicated as the ship will arrive at Red Hook in Brooklyn. The westside piers where the ship used to dock is very convenient to midtown Manhattan. It's a Monday... you can shop if that's your interest; I think the Rockefeller Plaza tree might still be there... do a museum (the new MOMA - Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art is one of my favorites)... you can stroll neighborhoods if the weather is nice... not sure if you're interested in ground zero... Southstreet Seaport has a few interesting galleries, one with large models of all the famous liners of the past and some of the present, including QE2... I think the permanent exhibit is called "Monarchs of the Sea" ...

Enjoy the festivities in London & the crossing. I'll see you aboard.

Bobby

In my experience the bus drivers don't tend to care what your luggage is as long as you can handle it all yourself. It is like Amtrak in the US, they have rules about what you can take but tend to cast a blind eye as long as you keep things within reason.

I found the coach schedule form Vitoria Cross to Southampton. The problem is they have a 20kg, two medium bag weight limit. Does anyone know if you can pay for the larger bags?

Which coach service are you using? We're on the Cruise Connect one from Leeds to Southampton in December and I just told them that we'd have a lot of extra baggage. They said OK, that would be fine.

National Express are not too concerned about luggage weights etc even though it says so on the website. We've never had any luggage turned away.

We have also used Cruise Connect (albeit for P & O but I believe it's the same firm) and they have never posed any problem with us having more luggage than specified.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked on Mega Train and found a train from Water Loo to Southampton for 2 pounds each. Then on another sight I find the same run for 25 pounds each. Then I hear that there is a first class set up simular to the train in Harry Potter for 165.

Question - Is it worth the extra money or should I just take the 2 pound train and be done with it.

From Heathrow to our hotel in London (Renaissance Chancery Court London, near Victoria Station), is it best to take a taxi or the underground with 6 monster QE 2 bags?:confused:

If you decide to take the normal train I would go for Mega train like I did in October.

You are travelling in a designated compartment (which was virtually emppty) in exactly the same train as you would travel with a GBP26 pounds ticket.

Be reminded though that these are commuter kind of train with hardly any proper storagespace for luggage.

The Orient Express is very nice and includes a lunch. Once on the train you do not see you luggage back until you are in your stateroom.

Reint

Question - Is it worth the extra money or should I just take the 2 pound train and be done with it.

I'd take either the £2.00 train or the £165.00 one! If you just want to get to Southampton as cheaply as possible and don't mind having to deal with luggage than take the cheaper; if you want to experience the OE then take that. If you don't want the OE and you don't want to have to handle your luggage then a Cunard transfer could still be best.

From Heathrow to our hotel in London (Renaissance Chancery Court London, near Victoria Station), is it best to take a taxi or the underground with 6 monster QE 2 bags?:confused:

If you can carry all your luggage and feel happy managing on several long escalators then take the tube (remember the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow doesn't go to Victoria, you'd have to change, somewhere like South Kensington, onto the Circle line). If you can't then a taxi would take you straight to your hotel but it would be expensive. A third possibility would be the Heathrow Express (http://www.heathrowexpress.com) from Heathrow to Paddington and a taxi from there to your hotel.

If you use the Mega Train do you have to get on at Waterloo, or can you get on at any stop between Waterloo and Southampton?

I ask because we are about halfway between the two stations and it would cost me the same to get to Waterloo as it would Southampton :confused:

If you use the Mega Train do you have to get on at Waterloo, or can you get on at any stop between Waterloo and Southampton?

I ask because we are about halfway between the two stations and it would cost me the same to get to Waterloo as it would Southampton :confused:

I'm looking at taking Megatrain - but the website does say that the ticket is valid ONLY between the two stations booked.....perhaps your station is one listed - I've only looked at Waterloo-Southampton.

Peter

You HAVE to board in London Waterloo and get off in Southampton. It is not allowed to get on station along the route or get off earlier. If you do so there will be a penalty involved

When I left Southampton station this October they ticked off my booking number at the gate. So I assume people who did not show up might get charged additionally

Reint

You HAVE to board in London Waterloo and get off in Southampton. It is not allowed to get on station along the route or get off earlier. If you do so there will be a penalty involved

When I left Southampton station this October they ticked off my booking number at the gate. So I assume people who did not show up might get charged additionally

Reint

That's what I thought, I'm sure I looked at this before. I wonder why though? What are the advantages (for them) of someone being on a train from Waterloo. over someone getting on at, say, Basingstoke?

As it happens I recently purchased a Family Railcard and may use this to purchase tickets next summer to get down to Southampton (rather than use a chauffeur service as we did this year), even with Railcard discount the fares will total just over £40 - 4 people travelling down from Waterloo to Southampton will only pay £8 if they use Mega Train :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Megatrain now has Jan 2 07 for sale.:D But it won't take my booking.:mad: Is this some secret plot against Americans?:rolleyes: I wonder.;)

If someone gets in, let me know.

Hi Raphael - I've booked - with a UK credit card - was it the payment option that would not let you through? If you contiue to struggle I could book it for you & trust you to give me the £1.50!

Peter

Archived