Hypothetical QM2 Poser

Kindlychap

Just supposing a chap was to think about experiencing the QM2.

Which is the better option - the cheaper six day run to Florida (March) or the more expensive five day run to New York (May)?

Destination irrelevant for these purposes.

Well...... if you are counting the sailing only, obviously the cheaper of the two.

However, if one needs to add airfare.... Florida air is apt to be higher in March than NY air in May.

All things being equal, though. I'd bet on April for a cheap transat.. at least if booking through the US.

Well...... if you are counting the sailing only, obviously the cheaper of the two.

However, if one needs to add airfare.... Florida air is apt to be higher in March than NY air in May.

All things being equal, though. I'd bet on April for a cheap transat.. at least if booking through the US.

April are only Eastbound. Not so keen on those - the 23 hour days get a bit harsh!

Airfare included in fares. They tend to be on this side of the Atlantic.

Interesting question.

Keep in mind that the Southampton-Ft. Lauderdale segment is the last segment of the world cruise, so it is possible that entertainment etc. may be slightly different from a normal crossing.

Otherwise, if destination is irrelevant, you have no preference as far as schedule (March vs. May), and the Ft. Lauderdale crossing is a day longer and less expensive, then that would seem the obvious choice to me.

I will embarking in Ft. Lauderdale the day she arrives from that crossing so if you do go let me know and hopefully we can arrange some sort of a meeting.

Just supposing a chap was to think about experiencing the QM2.

Which is the better option - the cheaper six day run to Florida (March) or the more expensive five day run to New York (May)?

Destination irrelevant for these purposes.

OMG I don't believe what I'm reading :eek:

If you're going to be taking this as some sort of benchmark comparison with old Lizzie then you've got to do the 'proper' 5 day run into New York - the crossing to Fort Lala is just the end segment of a cruise!!!

An amazed Ken :D

I can't decide what's more amazing: the fact that he's considering the ship or that he's seeking advice about her!

A cruise on QM2 is great,...but a crossing is what she was really built for,...

The answer seems obvious.

-Russ

What makes the crossing to Ft. Lauderdale not a crossing?

If you walk up the gangway on one side of the Atlantic and a week later you walk down it on the other side, then I'm pretty sure you've just completed a crossing.

If they were stopping somewhere in Mid-Atlantic (like the Azores or Bermuda) then I would certainly call it a cruise but as it stands I think it's merely a crossing that happens not to be to New York.

If the fact that one can book it as part of a cruise is such a problem, then probably half of QM2's crossings are disqualified since you can book many of them as part of a cruise - e.g. going round-trip from New York to the Med.

I'm all for crossing to New York, but if the destination really doesn't matter then frankly I can't see what's wrong with crossing to Ft. Lauderdale instead.

What makes the crossing to Ft. Lauderdale not a crossing?

If you walk up the gangway on one side of the Atlantic and a week later you walk down it on the other side, then I'm pretty sure you've just completed a crossing.

If they were stopping somewhere in Mid-Atlantic (like the Azores or Bermuda) then I would certainly call it a cruise but as it stands I think it's merely a crossing that happens not to be to New York.

If the fact that one can book it as part of a cruise is such a problem, then probably half of QM2's crossings are disqualified since you can book many of them as part of a cruise - e.g. going round-trip from New York to the Med.

I'm all for crossing to New York, but if the destination really doesn't matter then frankly I can't see what's wrong with crossing to Ft. Lauderdale instead.

In case you hadn't noticed it was Kindlychap who asked the question - therefore the difference is critical :rolleyes:

Don't forget, this is the guy that thinks QM2 isn't really a Cunard queen because she wasn't built on the Clyde ;) .... and we're still wondering why he's on the maiden voyage of QV :eek:

Ken

OMG I don't believe what I'm reading :eek:

If you're going to be taking this as some sort of benchmark comparison with old Lizzie then you've got to do the 'proper' 5 day run into New York - the crossing to Fort Lala is just the end segment of a cruise!!!

An amazed Ken :D

Thought this might get some comments!

Situation is simple really. I can go on another trip this year if AND ONLY IF it is completed by 1st July 2006. (Because of annual leave, for the curious). And I saw the cheap crossing to Fort Lauderdale in the brochure - which seemed a possibility.

But the the "not a proper crossing" idea entered my thoughts soon afterwards, so Ken - you've latched on to my dilemma. I do think there is something about the road to NY given the history. Perhaps I should have said "destination is irrelevant once the ship has tied up". I'd go straight to the airport to get home so the sights of the destination is not relevant.

I'm still wondering about the Victoria myself too......

But if she's going to Brooklyn it surely isn't a "proper" crossing anyway?

Situation is simple really. I can go on another trip this year if AND ONLY IF it is completed by 1st July 2006.

In that case, you missed the mark by about five months ;) .

But seriously, how about QE2's crossing in April? I think I'd choose that myself over a QM2 crossing.

But if she's going to Brooklyn it surely isn't a "proper" crossing anyway?

Why?

What about all the ships which made crossings to Canada? How about South America? Were those not "proper"?

Just because the terminal is now in a different neighborhood of the same city does not make it not a crossing!

I can see why one might think the Ft. Lauderdale crossing "not proper", not because it ends in Ft. Lauderdale, but because it is technically a segment of a cruise. But the other QM2 crossings are about as proper as it gets.

But seriously, how about QE2's crossing in April? I think I'd choose that myself over a QM2 crossing.

I would if I could, but I can't see how to book this over in England. I have been told by reservations that I can't book it.

Can I book through Cunard US?

Thought this might get some comments!

Situation is simple really. I can go on another trip this year if AND ONLY IF it is completed by 1st July 2006. (Because of annual leave, for the curious).

I think you recently mentioned that you are a civil servant? If so, does this mean that you work on the 1st of July every year, and the rest of the time is your own?

Mary:)

No, Cunard's piers ceased to exist when the current piers were remuddled in the 70's...since then (and actually even before), they have been fair game to a many different lines' ships....

Your constant slamming with regards to QM2, proper crossings, etc., gets extremely tiresome,...especially because it's directed at the wrong people. The move to Brooklyn is no one's fault but the officials of NYC. Over the years, THEY'VE allowed the West Side piers to fall into ruin. The city of New York has had plenty of opportunity to revamp the area,..it's only when Carnival Corp decides to pull it's ships out does anyone seriously discuss the issue.

Your constant slamming with regards to QM2, proper crossings, etc., gets extremely tiresome,...especially because it's directed at the wrong people.

Constant slamming of the QM2.....

But I was asking about sailing on her!

"proper crossings" - Ken was the first to use the "P" word.

Perhaps I'll stick to the Queen Elizabeth 2 then. I'm quite happy to say that I would if I could. That won't surprise you.

As for the Victoria (per Ken C) I am well aware there are a number of issues that are likely to make it a very different experience. We're open minded in our views at present, and have ten months before we need to make a final decision. The deposit (which we paid in 2004) is only £200 so I can afford to lose that - and Cunard will have no trouble reselling the cabin.

By that time we will have seen the 2008 brochure, and who knows what we might decide as a result of that......

Constant slamming of the QM2.....

But I was asking about sailing on her!

"proper crossings" - Ken was the first to use the "P" word.......

Yes ... but, as you admitted, I was only articulating your dilemma. ;)

I think that if you 'dislike' the concept of QM2 as much as you have implied by past posts then you should not go on her ..... unless you are prepared to put aside those preconceptions. Somehow I don't think a voyage to Fort Lala will put you in the right frame of mind deserving of your first trip on QM2. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'll stick to the Queen Elizabeth 2 then. I'm quite happy to say that I would if I could. That won't surprise you.......

As you are so happy with her perhaps you should stick with her ..... while you can? :eek:

Mind you, you never know ....... you might enjoy a modern queen so much that you will wonder why you were ever so stuck on QE2 in the first place!!! ;)

As for the Victoria (per Ken C) I am well aware there are a number of issues that are likely to make it a very different experience. We're open minded in our views at present, and have ten months before we need to make a final decision. The deposit (which we paid in 2004) is only £200 so I can afford to lose that - and Cunard will have no trouble reselling the cabin.

By that time we will have seen the 2008 brochure, and who knows what we might decide as a result of that......

Again, it's your comments and derision of this ship that make it hard to see why you are bothering - even to enjoy the special occasion of a maiden voyage, you really have to want to be there in the first place. :eek:

Ken

Archived