A couple of questions

flashinggreen

Does Silversea have a strict dress code? Have taken number of Seabourn cruises and no one seems to pay any attention to dress codes. No tie required on formal nights and boat shoes, beach sandles and jeans are becoming more common. Windbreakers seem to qualify as a jacket. Feel out of place in my tux. Elegant casual is a joke. Tried one cruise on Regent and was disappointed.

Several people have told me smokers are common on Sliversea. As a former smoker I am extremely sensitive to smoke. What is smoking policy?

Thanks for your help. Thinking about trying a cruise or two on the new Muse

WOW! We have been on numerous SB cruises and none of what you have been told is allowed. Yes SS is more formal but I have never seen jeans,windbreakers,etc on any cruise we have been on.Our last cruise was May 2015 I cannot believe it has changed that much since then.

SS is more formal but I have never seen jeans,windbreakers,etc on any cruise we have been on. Our last cruise was May 2015 I cannot believe it has changed that much since then.

Agree with above that SS tends to be more formal. From our ten days on the Silver Cloud just last month in southern Africa, it was an about even mix of UK and American passengers. I was surprised at the very high percentage of men dressed in tux's. Not just business suits. A year ago, also on the Silver Cloud, we had 26 days with SS doing the Amazon River and Caribbean. The percentage of men with tux's was not quite as high as last month, but virtually everyone was "dressed up". No jeans, windbreakers, etc., at dinner.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 36,684 views for these postings.

Silversea has a recommended attire. Most people follow it. It is a little more formal then some of the luxury lines but about the same as others.

Smoke is far less prevalent then on Seabourn as smoking is not permitted in verandahs as it is on Seabourn and of course in the room. Each ship has a cigar/smoking room and outdoor smoking is permitted in selected areas.

It's always nice to try another cruise line.

Keith

Several people have told me smokers are common on Sliversea. As a former smoker I am extremely sensitive to smoke. What is smoking policy?

Earlier on my posting I forgot to share my info/perspective related to your good question for your sensitivity to smoking on these ships. The Silversea policies seems fairly good, BUT, the bigger question is about the types of customers on their ships and/or how these various people behave, etc.

From our experience last month doing a Silver Cloud ten-day cruise along the South Africa coast, plus a year ago doing 26 days on this same SS ship, we did not have any problems with people and their smoking. Yes, there were only a few who might have smoked and those people were respectful, did it only in the few areas where it is allowed, etc. Our observation from these recent 36 days, plus on our earlier July 2010 Norway cruise is that the customer base with Silversea seems to not create any major problems in this area. Most do not smoke and the few who do are proper/understanding about these "things". Good luck in travel planning. Any other questions or info needs?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,636 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923