Question about disembarking in Rio de Janeiro

welove2cruise*

I just booked the 12/3/16 cruise out of Buenos Aires that ends in Rio. My TA sent a note that we need to pay a $160 fee to enter Argentina which we can do online.

My question is do we need anything when disembarking in Rio? I was hoping we could spend one extra night there but hoping we would not need a visa if we decided to do that.

If you do need a visa to stay an extra night can you avoid getting one if you disembarking straight to the airport? Our ship has an overnight there before we get off so if that was the only option we might have to do that.

You are not "disembarking straight to the airport". You are getting off the ship onto Brazilian soil and taking land transportation across Brazilian territory from the pier to the airport, so yes, you need a visa for Brazil if you hold a passport which requires a visa. You would probably be denied boarding without a visa.

The visa is good for multiple entries over a 10 year period.

Apply well in advance of your cruise. The time leading up to your departure date is a busy one at most Brazilian Consulates. Read very carefully and thoroughly the website for the consulate with jurisdiction over your home.

There is a temporary lifting of the visa requirement for the Olympics, so you might inquire, although your dates don't seem to correspond.

Happy travels.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

The 90 day rule depends on the country of your passport. For the US, you do not have to use it within 90 days of issue and can stay for up to 90 days. For some other countries, you do have to use it within 90 days. The only way to avoid needing a Visa for Brazil is if you are in transit within the international terminal and leave on another flight without passing through immigration.

Ok, let's put an end to the inaccurate, out of date info! (And please STOP posting info --as a statement rather than a question--that only serves to confuse people if you are not absolutely certain it is current and accurate.)

Back in 2010, the use-the-new-visa-within-90-days-of-issue rule was abolished for US passport holders . (It was a 5 year multi-entry visa btw.)

The current 10 year visa begins to be valid on the day of issue.

The current visa issued on US passports reads that it is valid for 180 days per year. It will be stamped with a "prazo" (entry --length of stay limit) when you go through passport control in a Brazil.

(Some other countries have different lengths of stay, EU countries for example.)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Thanks for the information. I feel better knowing I can get it as early as possible. We are cruising in Dec. 2016 so we will plan a trip to Washington (good reason for a weekend trip anyway) in May so that we can get this taken care of.

I must have been pulling outdated information initially but glad to know the correct info.

• 10 months later...
I just booked the 12/3/16 cruise out of Buenos Aires that ends in Rio. My TA sent a note that we need to pay a $160 fee to enter Argentina which we can do online.

My question is do we need anything when disembarking in Rio? I was hoping we could spend one extra night there but hoping we would not need a visa if we decided to do that.

If you do need a visa to stay an extra night can you avoid getting one if you disembarking straight to the airport? Our ship has an overnight there before we get off so if that was the only option we might have to do that.

The reciprocity fee for Argentina has been cancelled for US citizens. No fee collected for Argentina.

Brenda

You need a visa for Brazil since you will be there. That is true whether your trip starts there, you are just stopping there along the way or ending your trip there.

Keith