Wellington to Palmerston North

Many years ago I worked and bonded with a colleague who was to pass away much too young. She went home to be with her family and I have located her memorial in a cemetery there. I intend to visit it when on a cruise next year.

I'm going to contact her family there, if they are still at the same address (this was in the era pre-internet so will have to snail mail) but I wouldn't expect them to come and meet me in Wellington.

We're tendered from 0800 to 1800.

From what I can see if I take public transport I'm looking at a 3 and a half hour ride.... each way..... so my choice is narrowing down to hiring a car (am assuming driving on the left so not out of the question) or taking a private guide.

I'd value your opinion (travel-wise) as this is something I really want to do.

Thanks

Many years ago I worked and bonded with a colleague who was to pass away much too young. She went home to be with her family and I have located her memorial in a cemetery there. I intend to visit it when on a cruise next year.

I'm going to contact her family there, if they are still at the same address (this was in the era pre-internet so will have to snail mail) but I wouldn't expect them to come and meet me in Wellington.

From what I can see if I take public transport I'm looking at a 3 and a half hour ride.... each way..... so my choice is narrowing down to hiring a car (am assuming driving on the left so not out of the question) or taking a private guide.

Thanks

First thoughts are that it is a bit ambitious to undertake such a trip when you only have the one day in Wellington. You could fly, (Wellington/Palmerston North rtn) its only 35 mins , but a quick timetable check would not get you back on time. If you are arriving in Auckland why not fly down the day before the cruise (Auckland/ Palmerston rtn). Check out Air NZ National flight times.Even doing it that way , it would take just as long to get to the airport in Auckland as the flght down.

By the way....

Are you sure you are tendering in Wellington?

First thoughts are that it is a bit ambitious to undertake such a trip when you only have the one day in Wellington. You could fly, (Wellington/Palmerston North rtn) its only 35 mins , but a quick timetable check would not get you back on time. If you are arriving in Auckland why not fly down the day before the cruise (Auckland/ Palmerston rtn). Check out Air NZ National flight times.Even doing it that way , it would take just as long to get to the airport in Auckland as the flght down.

By the way....

Are you sure you are tendering in Wellington?

Back to the drawing board methinks.

According to the website we are

Cruise1Itinerary.jpg

Thanks

It's a two hour drive each way as long as there aren't any traffic hold-ups. Then factor in time to pick up and drop off your rental car, plus time to visit the memorial. It's doable but would be very tiring.

Kia ora Linda,

It's a lovely ambition and I'd love to try and help you make it work. This is a journey I take reasonably often to visit friends, so it is possible within the day you have here. Firstly, I see you're on the Solstice and I think the 'tendering' comment maybe an typo. The Solstice is a regular visitor to Wellington and she, nor any other ship, has tendered here in living memory!

You can drive, and I'd allow two hours for driving (flat well-marked highway) plus 30 minutes to get to a car rental office and get through the paperwork. No rental cars are leased at port currently.

From the port, it's about 15 minutes walk down to Wellington Railway Station. From there, you can take a commuter train service called the Capital Connection to Palmerston North. It's pretty reliable, but you'd want to allow plenty of time for the return journey. http://www.metlink.org.nz/timetables/rail/PNL

I don't think flying is a brilliant option - it'd be expensive and convoluted for the relatively easy journey that it is.

If you don't feel confident driving, I would contact a couple of local companies and ask about a personalised transfer. It wouldn't be cheap - I'm imagining a couple of hundred NZD - but it might just work out the most efficient and probably the same as a shorex! Wellington Combined Taxis would be a good place to start - they can wait portside. John Barry at Capital Personalised Tours will arrange private tours, as do Flat Earth Tours.

Kia ora Jo,

Wow. Just brilliant. Thank you soooo much.

Last year I took a Baltics cruise; I was on a mission then as I am now. There I had an address to visit in Berlin; Took a guide who arranged for a driver to meet me at Warnemunde and I had a day I will never forget.

This looks to be something along those lines with similar significance for me.

The train journey is very appealing. If I'm able to make contact with my friend's family maybe they could meet me at the station in Palmerston North; otherwise I have to find my way to the cemetery from there. I've just googled it. It's a 12 minute drive.....

It might be nice to take a driver and turn the whole thing into an excursion. Your advice has been invaluable.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Really appreciate everything.

Mihi

Edited : The planner on line no longer shows tender ports now :rolleyes:

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong..... but there's only 2 trains a day...... one before 8am and the other after 5pm.....

Back to the drive option :)

Edited : only one flight a day (with Air NZ) each way so that's out

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I knew the train was a commuter service, so those times probably make sense. There is another option I've remembered - there is a bus service -

http://www.intercity.co.nz/search-results/Form

Having said that, I'm thinking that the best way to do this is to try and arrange a private excursion. They should be able to meet you at port, you could go up along the Kapiti Coast on SH1 on the way up, visit Palmerston North and then maybe come home (around the same timing) via SH2 through the Wairarapa wine region .. maybe even time for a cup of tea in cute little Greytown. A full day, but at least you'd get to see a bit of the region and honour your friend.