Valparaiso Port area and Santiago Airport Info

roothy123

I'm looking for information on Valparaiso:

Is it hard to get outside the port and to any area near the port where there might be decent sightseeing, or at least public transportation? Any shuttles or buses, or is it close enough that you can walk?

Anybody have recommendations for a transfer with tour from Santiago airport to Valparaiso? I'm not that interested in the wineries, just Valpo. Also, is the ride on route 68 about an hour and a half, or longer?

About how long might it take to get out of the Santiago airport if you're coming in on a flight from North America?

Anything in particular you'd recommend we see in Valparaiso?

Valparaiso - shuttle takes you from where ship docks to entrance of the port. Port entrance is not where it is shown on maps - It is the opposite end of town from Artilleria area. Get taxi from dock entrance to center of town.

Tour For Tips is a great walking tour of Valparaiso. Gives an overview of the town and very interesting. Naval Museum in Artilleria area is small, but interesting. Has the Fenice (used for rescuing the trapped minors there.

The ascensor (The funicular railways from the late 19th and early 20th centuries) are interesting and there are great views over the town. Wonderful grafitti (street art) in many areas around town.

Good buses with assigned seats, a/c, reclining seats and storage underneath from Santiago to Valpo for a few dollars - Takes 1 1/2 hours. Check out Tur and Pulman busses.

These buses are more or less direct - very few stops. Buses leave several times an hour.

South Excursions is easy to work with. They offer a tour of Valpo and Vina del Mar that is excellent. You could probably ask them about doing a transfer from Santiago to Valpo, including their city tour. We used the company in more than one location in South America and were very pleased. http://www.southexcursions.com/chileshoreexcursions

Thanks to both of you, and anyone else who responds (keep the info coming!) Where is the port entrance/exit - up towards the tip and museum, or below along the water? Have any idea how much a taxi would cost from there to center of town?

I'll look into Tours for Tips and South Excursions. Anyone used mywaychile?

I mostly want to see the ascensors, colorful streetlife and things I can photograph, with less interest in museums and wine. Any suggestions for area of town to focus in? Until dark, are those areas reasonably safe for a couple, or even a woman by herself?

? Where is the port

If you are looking at a map of Valpo, with your back to the town (looking out to the ocean) The boat docks on the left below the Artilleria area. However, the port entrance is all the way to the right at the other end of town. I don't think you can see it on a map. Free shuttle will take you all the way along front of town (inside docks) to the ship.

We stayed near Concepcion ascensor in March 2014, the taxi fare to the port cost about $8 or $10.

With Tours for Tips we went on an ascensor and an old tram, also through many of the best streets with graffiti - so much to photograph there.

If you would feel better on a tour, when we went with South Excursions we did a great walking tour of Valpo, seeing the historic plaza, walking around the area and rode one of the ascensors as part of the tour. It was NOT flat, and some of our group found it a bit challenging, but there were some great views of the city.

There was plenty of "street art" to be seen in the section we walked. Sorry I can't recall the name just now. One of the best walking tours I've experienced.

Thanks for the info. I found a map which shows the passenger terminal and now I understand about the logistics. I've also found a good blog by Rich McCleary called "Up and Down in Valparaiso" which explains the port as well. I'm thinking of booking a transfer tour with "my way Chile" since my time and perhaps energy will be limited. (I fly in that day to Santiago.)

Are the wineries in Casablanca really worthwhile for a non wine drinker? My way (Pablo) suggests just a short visit for us so more time can be spent in Valpo, which interests me more.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree, arriving the same day is going to be hard. We had two days there, so had no rush. A tour transfer would save you time and worry.

For great pictures Cerro Concepción will be a good area. It has the ascensor, grafitti, interesting buildings and great views.

Some of the wineries have restaurants, so if time permits, maybe a stop for lunch. Enjoy.

Assuming you arrive around 7 a.m. and head straight to Valpo, you will be there around 10. giving an hour at the airport to deal with customs, immigration and luggage. If All Aboard is at 3 you won't have much time to site-see, so plan well. I think a guided tour from Santiago taking in Valpo and skipping the wine and Vina del Mar. That way your luggage is with you until you check in.

I don't know about your stamina level, but we were pretty beat up after 24 hours of travel to get there... so walking around the hills of Valpo wouldn't be for us :)

Thank you. I do need to think about how much I want to do after a lot of flying. We don't arrive until 9:30 ish but good news is that we don't have to be on board until 6 if cruise line requires us to be there an hour pre-departure. I think as long as we get to the port terminal by 3:00 we'll be ok. We're familiar with the ship and have a lot of sea days, so getting there late doesn't bother me as long as someone is still at the terminal at 3 to check us in and get us on a shuttle bus to the ship. My way Chile said they'd check on that and so will I. By then I'm sure I'll be ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Nanner is correct, we described it as "uphill, every way". It's an awesome city and well worth traveling, but it can be challenging.

If you would feel better on a tour, when we went with South Excursions we did a great walking tour of Valpo, seeing the historic plaza, walking around the area and rode one of the ascensors as part of the tour. It was NOT flat, and some of our group found it a bit challenging, but there were some great views of the city.

There was plenty of "street art" to be seen in the section we walked. Sorry I can't recall the name just now. One of the best walking tours I've experienced.

We arrived in Santiago after an overnight flight from Dallas and were exhausted. Did a day tour of the markets and a drive to Valpo .. still exhausted. I think next time (in Feb.) we will stay a day in Santiago to really tour the city, then move to Valpairaso, which we loved for its art and scenic variety.

Thank you. I do need to think about how much I want to do after a lot of flying. We don't arrive until 9:30 ish but good news is that we don't have to be on board until 6 if cruise line requires us to be there an hour pre-departure. I think as long as we get to the port terminal by 3:00 we'll be ok. We're familiar with the ship and have a lot of sea days, so getting there late doesn't bother me as long as someone is still at the terminal at 3 to check us in and get us on a shuttle bus to the ship. My way Chile said they'd check on that and so will I. By then I'm sure I'll be ready.

South Excursions is easy to work with. They offer a tour of Valpo and Vina del Mar that is excellent. You could probably ask them about doing a transfer from Santiago to Valpo, including their city tour. We used the company in more than one location in South America and were very pleased. http://www.southexcursions.com/chileshoreexcursions

We used them twice and found their tour guides to be excellent.