Need ideas for 50th anniversary gold jewelry ideas

PaperSniper4

We'll be sailing to San Juan in January 2018, along with several other ports. We're in SJ for about 24 hours so that's where we'll have the greatest chance to shop. We also stop at St Martin, St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, and St Kitts/Nevis for a shorter period of time, but SJ is our first port and the longest stay. We have been to Ray's Jewelry in St Martin several times and that's our second choice only because SJ is the first port.

I'm thinking a nice ring, necklace or ear rings. She doesn't wear bracelets.

The last time we were in SJ several years ago (was it really 15 years ago?!) we saw a wide selection of gold jewelry, and the prices were pretty good. I think prices now are not so good...anywhere...but I wonder if the selection is at least very good compared to the other ports? Anyone have an opinion on that?

If you have a recommendation for a good jewelry shop in SJ I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm thinking of spending $500-$1000.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, no replies at all! Surely someone has some recommendations or can share their experience or ideas?

Most ideas are probably going to be related to buying jewellery at home from a reputable jeweller vs. in a cruise ship port from a dealer who know they'll never see you again. I collect antique and vintage jewellery and buy all of it from one reputable jeweller and that would be my recommendation.

I think you would do better in St Maarten. We've been to Dazzling Gems on Front St several times. They are near the Guavaberry Emporium. Danny is the owner, Once a customer, you will be a repeat customer!

Thanks. We've been going to Ray's in St Maarten for several years, and that's my fall back position. However, like the first respondent said, I'm probably better off getting something locally...although I'd sure like to get something while on the cruise just as a nice remembrance of our 50th celebration. Maybe I'll get a pendant locally, and a nice gold chain in SJ or St Maarten.......

Edited by PaperSniper4

Why not get something on the ship? This way, if there's any issue while still sailing, you can get it taken care of....

That's always a thought. I've done that before, and was surprised when I got home and checked the price on eBay I'd not paid all that much more. Sometimes the things I buy on the ship or in the ports are as much for the memories than the actual item.

Whew., you oughta research that. More hassle than you could ever imagine.

Over the many years we've been cruising, I've bought many things on the ships....and had to return just a few. And those went easily, though I imagine there could be others who had a different experience. I take it your experience was not good?

I take it your experience was not good?

The moment you step off the ship, that's when they start passing the buck. Cruiseline says they aren't responsible, the onboard shops are independent vendors- to check with them. Independent vendors not readily willing to communicate or service your request.

Just google it, there's page after page of folks who have had quite unpleasant experiences.

Like you mentioned, stick with your standby - Rays - at least you know what to expect.

.........and yeah, we are "seasoned" cruisers too.

Whew., you oughta research that. More hassle than you could ever imagine.

My wife bought me a watch on board for our 10th anniversary. I still wear it and I've had no issues with it. It was on sale on board. When I checked prices after the cruise, I found out we got it for about $150 less than if I bought in on land.

Please don't get me wrong. I have no issues with buying from the ships' stores. We've purchased items there. The problem is if you have an issue with an item AFTER the cruise is over. You get home, notice something wrong with your onboard purchase and try to get the item serviced. If you've never run into this, feel fortunate. It's a real PITA.