Riding Boston "T"

doublet

We will spend one day in Boston on an upcoming cruise. Would like to use public transportation to travel between Black Falcon Cruise Terminal and downtown, returning to the cruise port later in the day.

From reading other posts, if I I understand correctly, we can purchase a Ticket on the SL2 Silver Line bus, with free transfer at South Station to reach other parts of the city. My question is does the free transfer work, with either CharlieTicket/CharlieCard, for the return trip - or is it necessary to pay a separate fare, e.g. from the Red Line to the SL2 bus back to the cruise terminal ?

Another question - for savings can a CharlieCard be purchased instead of CharlieTicket when available at certain metro stops ?

We will spend one day in Boston on an upcoming cruise. Would like to use public transportation to travel between Black Falcon Cruise Terminal and downtown, returning to the cruise port later in the day.

From reading other posts, if I I understand correctly, we can purchase a Ticket on the SL2 Silver Line bus, with free transfer at South Station to reach other parts of the city. My question is does the free transfer work, with either CharlieTicket/CharlieCard, for the return trip - or is it necessary to pay a separate fare, e.g. from the Red Line to the SL2 bus back to the cruise terminal ?

Another question - for savings can a CharlieCard be purchased instead of CharlieTicket when available at certain metro stops ?

Please refer to the map on the MBTA site.

The fare from the Silver line at the cruise port is TO your destination while on the subway lines.

In order to return, you pay a fare for that ride, one fare including changes of line. When you change subway lines, you do not have to pay another fare to continue your journey on the other line; the stations are configured so that you can walk from one line to the other without passing through a (payment) turnstile.

A Charlie Card is not purchased. It is given out by T personnel if you can find one who has them. What is purchased is any money you choose to put on it to use for fares.

"For savings": The difference between a Charlie Card and a Charlie Ticket is minimal, pennies. For people riding a lot, that could add up, maybe to the price of a cup of coffee over a few days. For someone in Boston for just one day, esp. where you can walk to many sights from one central T stop, not worth worrying about.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

When you board the Silver Line at the cruise port, the bus goes as far as South Station, and from there, you can ride to any station on any of the four "color-coded" lines, red, blue, green, and orange. Transfers are free as long as you don't leave the fare area (turnstiles and/or fare gates).

When you board on any of the four color-coded lines, you can do the same in reverse; pay your fare once with a Charlie Card or Charlie ticket, and then board the Silver Line SL2 bus within the fare area at South Station, for your trip back to the cruise terminal.

Unfortunately, the T does not make it easy for a one-day visitor to get a Charlie Card (plastic card with discounted fares); the usual thing to do is to get a Charlie Ticket (paper ticket with full-price fares). For a single day trip in Boston, it's probably not worth the time and effort to get a Charlie Card, as the discount is modest. I believe that full fare is $2.65, and Charlie Card fare is $2.10, per person, per ride.

In general, I don't recommend that visitors get a Charlie Card unless they're spending three or more days in the city. The Card can save a small amount of money compared to the Ticket, but it's just not worth it, in my opinion, if you have to get yourself to a place where you can get a ticket. The only subway station where I know you can get Charlie Cards is Downtown Crossing, during their normal business hours, and the sales counter is outside the fare area, which may cost you one extra fare. There are convenience stores that sell Charlie Cards; you might look into that.

I have heard of people ordering Charlie Cards and having them delivered by mail, and adding value to them using an online account, but I have no personal experience with that router.

We'll be in Boston this Saturday for our cruise and want to explore the city via the T (red line). We'll board the station near our hotel in Quincy and head into the city.

I don't believe a $12 day pass will be right for me as I won't be riding that much to justify the expense. Can we just walk up to the station or any station and buy a ticket on the spot with cash?

I assume it's $2.65 per ride. Do we need exact change or can you pay via debit or credit?

You can buy tickets from vending machines at the subway station. You can find cash and credit/debit card options; the vending machines are clearly marked. I'm not sure if they will give change. You can use the same ticket for multiple rides, and you can add value to the ticket at the vending machines.

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up buying day passes for $12 each and they were wonderful. Riding the "T" was a breeze and quite fun and easy to get around. It really is the only way to explore Boston. You would have to be crazy to rent a car and try to drive and park in Boston or Cambridge.

Edited by Racer70

• 2 months later...
If you are boarding the bus at/near the cruise ship terminal, do you purchase the fare card on the bus? If so, is exact change required?

You can pay cash at the farebox on the Silver Line bus. Exact change is not required, but change will be issued in the form of stored value on a Charlie Ticket. The Charlie Ticket can be used for future fares, and it can be re-charged with additional stored value at Charlie Card/Ticket fare vending machine in stations or on busses.

See:

http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/accessible_services/default.asp?id=17553

If you stay away from the Esplanade and Back Bay, you'll be fine. If you're planning on being in those areas I wish you luck. Think "NYC on NYE" without the cold.

OK, maybe not that bad, but it's pretty dreadful

Edited by Nitemare

If you stay away from the Esplanade and Back Bay, you'll be fine. If you're planning on being in those areas I wish you luck. Think "NYC on NYE" without the cold.

OK, maybe not that bad, but it's pretty dreadful

We've only been to Boston once before. Thinking of exploring the Faneuil Hall/Aquarium/Downtown Crossing area. How does that sound for a family with a 9 yr. old? Any other ideas would be appreciated. We'll be in Boston for a little over a day.

Boston will be busy on the 4th, but most of the crowds will be on the Esplanade on the banks of the Charles River. Arlington Station on the Green Line and Charles Station on the Red Line will be very very busy, and parts of Storrow Drive will be closed.

But the area around Faneuil Hall and the Aquarium will be OK; just the normal crowds. There will be fireworks after the Boston Pops concert, and if you ask around you can probably find a good viewpoint without getting into the huge crowds at the concert.

The Museum of Science (Science Park Station on the Green Line) might appeal to a nine-year-old. I liked it when I was that age. Boston Duck Tours departs from the Museum of Science, which might appeal to a nine-year-old as well. There's also the Children's Museum, and lunch at the adjacent 40-foot tall milk bottle.

Boston will be busy on the 4th, but most of the crowds will be on the Esplanade on the banks of the Charles River. Arlington Station on the Green Line and Charles Station on the Red Line will be very very busy, and parts of Storrow Drive will be closed.

But the area around Faneuil Hall and the Aquarium will be OK; just the normal crowds. There will be fireworks after the Boston Pops concert, and if you ask around you can probably find a good viewpoint without getting into the huge crowds at the concert.

The Museum of Science (Science Park Station on the Green Line) might appeal to a nine-year-old. I liked it when I was that age. Boston Duck Tours departs from the Museum of Science, which might appeal to a nine-year-old as well. There's also the Children's Museum, and lunch at the adjacent 40-foot tall milk bottle.

Thanks for your input. Sound like good ideas.