Master Cleanse

gem114

Has anyone ever done "The Master Cleanse" before a cruise?

I'm decently fit but I've been told everyone gains weight on a cruise and I want to have a bit of a buffer. The Master Cleanse is supposed to clean your body of toxins and (being honest) any extra "waste." It's also supposed to help keep away bloating. It's basically a fast where you're drinking a mixture of fresh lemon juice, pure maple syrup (not the sugary Aunt Jemima stuff), and cayenne pepper in water. It's actually pretty tasty.

I started trying to do it yesterday, but I've had to cheat because my parents were visiting and we all went out to dinner and then breakfast this morning. I figure even if I can't do it 100%, something is better than nothing!

Gem, you do not HAVE to gain weight on a cruise. It is perfectly possible to cruise and not gain an ounce. I even lost a couple of pounds on my last cruise and it was a two-week cruise.

There is no need to go nuts and binge on everything you see. Furthermore, by using the stairs instead of elevators, using the gym, and if you are on a big ship, taking all the long walks to every venue, you can maintain your weight and not gain.

I confess I don't believe in so-called cleanses. Also I don't believe in strenuous dieting before cruises just to pig out like crazy on the cruise. I don't think that is good for your health. That is just my personal bias. You have to do what you believe works for you, but if you are doing this extreme cleanse just for the cruise, please know that not everyone gains weight on a ship and you don't have to either.

Very true, I have always lost weight on cruises because we are so much more active than we are at home, both on the ship and off. And sweating on the beaches - there is that too! :D

Interesting perspectives! Thanks! The cleanse is also a mind over matter thing for me (apparently I'm failing at that because I've still been eating a meal a day, albeit a healthy one -- oh well!).

Gem,

It may be a lot healthier to use your "mind over matter" on board the ship by eating a little better. You can have what you want, while watching portions and quality and stay active. It can be done while still enjoying your cruise!