A few general questions about river cruises that cover Europe or Asia

jkgourmet

We are a 56 and 70 year old couple, very well traveled, but husband is now having some physical challenges with walking. We've sailed on Princess, HAL, RCCL, Celebrity, NCL and are now thinking we might enjoy a smaller cruise experience. But I'm struggling to figure out if this would suit us.

We tend to spend VERY little time in our cabins, so we book an inside guarantee and have always been happy. We don't tend to stay up long gone. The quality and variety of the food tends to make or break a cruise for us, and we rather hate the up charge for a specialty restaurant.

I believe some of the river cruise lines include some of the excursions in the price, yes? If so, how much physical activity and walking was involved. The fact that so many of the port stops are smaller towns, where one can just walk and not go running around on some tour is also very attractive to us.

Quite frankly, one of the reasons that we are considering AWA is that they include wine with lunch and dinner. As our bar bill on cruises tends to be way too high, I'd also like to get an idea of what a glass of wine costs at the bar, outside of dining hours. And the same information, please, for a basic cocktail. Is there an all inclusive alcohol program like Celebrity has? (again, I just hate the surprise of the big bill at the end - I'd rather just pay for it in advance and not deal with it on my vacation.)

Other advise is most appreciated.

There is a River cruise forum where you might get the answers you are looking for

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191

some lines include all excursions, most include some walking tours some include drinks all day some just include wine/beer with lunch & dinner

There is a wide variety of cruises to suit all needs

We did Scenic Tours & they offered a slow walkers group for the tours which worked out fine for me with my new knee ;)

I do not think any have inside cabins

Archived