Wheelchair at muster drill?

jrbeccles

Thanks all for answering my tipping question. Here is another. My DW and I will be taking my inlaws on the Dream cruise, both of whom are elderly and one in a wheelchair to go any distance (and by that I mean more than 10 yards). So at the muster drill with the elevators locked down, how does a wheelchair bound persion get to the muster station? We have cabins on deck 5. Do we just play it smart and get to the muster station 15 minutes early, or is the muster station on deck 5 for cabins on deck 5?

As an aside, been reading Little Miss Magic review and excited to see they still have the big beer mugs available. I still have mine from the Magic cruise in 2002! Cant wait to get another. I remember seeing a man drop his while going up the outside steps and it broke in two - I thought he was going to burst into tears. They were pretty heavy.

Just outside your stateroom, there will be a crew member directing people as to where to go for the muster drill. That crewmember will see the wheelchair and automatically direct you to the elevators. There will always be one elevator in service for people with needs.

Often times, at the end of the drill, a crew member will take the family/person with the wheelchair ahead of the rest of the group, to an elevator. If they don't, make your way into the elevator lobby, and check to see which elevator is being manned by a crew member....it's usually the first or last in the row of elevators.

You and your wife will be allowed to go along to assist.

You should be able to use the elevator to get to the drill. In 2013, I had a broken foot and was in a walking boot. I just headed down about 5 min before to beat the rush and talk to the muster leader about about being to leave a little early so I wouldn't get trampled in the sea of people after it was over. They dismissed me about 5 minutes early before everyone else, so I could get to an elevator and avoid the crush of people. They probably will do the same for you. I'd advise getting there early, so you can make yourself known to the assembly station leader so they can dismiss you early.

I've cruised with 2 different people using chairs, 2009 and 2014. Last week, a CM came to our HA cabin and asked if we needed assistance with the drill. She was wheeled to the held elevator (open to mobility assistance devices and families of those using them). At the end of the drill, we were released about 5 minutes early and again, able to use a "held" elevator.

In 2009, we were given the option of being excused from the drill! This was not mentioned last week.

• 1 month later...
Thanks all for answering my tipping question. Here is another. My DW and I will be taking my inlaws on the Dream cruise, both of whom are elderly and one in a wheelchair to go any distance (and by that I mean more than 10 yards). So at the muster drill with the elevators locked down, how does a wheelchair bound persion get to the muster station? We have cabins on deck 5. Do we just play it smart and get to the muster station 15 minutes early, or is the muster station on deck 5 for cabins on deck 5?

As an aside, been reading Little Miss Magic review and excited to see they still have the big beer mugs available. I still have mine from the Magic cruise in 2002! Cant wait to get another. I remember seeing a man drop his while going up the outside steps and it broke in two - I thought he was going to burst into tears. They were pretty heavy.

The reason they lock down the elevators is because they may not function in an emergency. Typically, cruise ships have specially trained crew members who will gently carry the wheelchair up and down stairs with the person in it, I do believe. I think there are also special muster stations for accessible cabins. I hope this helped, and enjoy your cruise!

The reason they lock down the elevators is because they may not function in an emergency. Typically, cruise ships have specially trained crew members who will gently carry the wheelchair up and down stairs with the person in it, I do believe. I think there are also special muster stations for accessible cabins. I hope this helped, and enjoy your cruise!

Having stayed in 3 different HA cabins and attended the muster drill, I'm not sure what you mean by "special muster stations." We were at the same muster station as the people a few cabins down the hall from us--station is based on your cabin location on the ship with the goal being getting to the station as expeditiously as possible.

Yes, in a real emergency, there are teams assigned to the HA cabins to get those guests to the muster stations,

The elevators are not really "locked down" during the drills as there are CMs working the elevators with a key to allow those guests with mobility issues and at least one member of their party to use the elevator. They are not available to guests with normal mobility. By releasing the parties with a guest in a chair a few minutes early, again, the CM can key the elevators and allow these guests to get back to their cabin before the masses are released.

The only thing I'm not sure of--since when I've been in an HA cabin there were only 2 of us, I don't know whether ALL the guests in the cabin are allowed to use the elevator or just the person in the chair and the one additional.

We were in an accessible cabin on the Fantasy on deck 2. Our muster station was outside on deck 5. They scanned our kttw card then put the wheelchair folks closest to the door. Before they released the crowds, they let the WC folks go first.

The Concordia was a wake up call, and many lines who were allowing people to skip muster no longer do--and for good reason.

Too true, and I totally agree.

A controlled environment so EVERYBODY know the drill is best, and how and what will happen.

I also understand that the number of evac chairs in the CM only corridors and stairwells were up'd.

ex techie

On Saturday on our drill there were people at each lift and stairwell in jackets and they were there in pairs to help everyone who needs any help to go up and down stairs, it was really very well organised, they know the locations of anyone with assets ability issues and they were there ready for any need.