Best Beach with Toddler?

magicbananas

Hello,

I'm traveling to Bermuda on RCI in May. I've never been, and we are traveling with a 1 year old (who will hopefully be potty trained, but possibly not). I'm looking for a good beach recommendation, accessible by ferry, and with facilities/rental accommodations.

Thanks!

Wow, I've never heard of someone potty-training a 1-year-old.

Well, almost 18 months. We were just seeing if she was interested today, and she did really well, so it would be great if it worked out! ETA: When your baby is off the growth charts and is the size of a 3 year old, you start to run out of diaper size options!

Edited by magicbananas

Hello,

I'm traveling to Bermuda on RCI in May. I've never been, and we are traveling with a 1 year old (who will hopefully be potty trained, but possibly not). I'm looking for a good beach recommendation, accessible by ferry, and with facilities/rental accommodations.

Thanks!

None of the beaches are directly accessible by ferry. Two beaches with facilities and rentals are Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay. At Horseshoe there is a part of the beach near the facilities slightly off to the right that many call Horseshoe Bay Baby Beach. It is shallow and protected from waves. Horseshoe is on the South Shore road served by the #7 bus, or by taxi or shuttle buses. Tobacco Bay is a ferry ride to St. George, then a taxi or shuttle to Tobacco Bay. Or a 15 minute walk from the ferry terminal.

Unless you are willing to buy a day pass at a private resort, there are only 2 public beaches in Bermuda that have facilities and rentals - Horseshoe Beach and Tobacco Bay.

There are no beaches that are directly accessible by ferry.

You get to HSB, by bus or taxi. Travel time, depending on your mode of travel, is 25 - 35 minutes. Adult bus fare is $5/PP each way; taxi fare, about $35 plus tip each way, up to 4 passengers, Mon. to Sat. travel.

You get to TB by ferry to St George and then a short taxi ride or shuttle to TB.

A cove on the right of HSB is called the baby beach because it is sheltered and shallow.

SBtS

Well that certainly narrows it down a bit! To clarify, by accessible, I meant "within reasonable walking distance".

I'll look into these, thanks so much!

Tobacco Bay is about .8 mile from the ferry dock in St George with a walking time of about 18 minutes according to Google Maps.

SBtS

There is a small beach right at the Dockyard called Snorkel Park. It is a man made beach and really not one of the pretty Bermuda beaches. It is about a five minute walk from where the ships dock. There is an admission fee of, I believe, $5 per person, the baby would probably be free, but not sure. They have rental items and food and drinks and it is really close to the ship if you need to return for nap time. The admission fee is for all day. Keep the receipt and you can come and go during the day. It is a good beach for little ones since it does not get deep really fast and is protected from big waves.

There is a small beach right at the Dockyard called Snorkel Park. It is a man made beach and really not one of the pretty Bermuda beaches. It is about a five minute walk from where the ships dock. There is an admission fee of, I believe, $5 per person, the baby would probably be free, but not sure. They have rental items and food and drinks and it is really close to the ship if you need to return for nap time. The admission fee is for all day. Keep the receipt and you can come and go during the day. It is a good beach for little ones since it does not get deep really fast and is protected from big waves.

Thanks so much. I think that might be good for the shorter day (ship leaves around noon) and I'll venture over to Tobacco Bay for the full day. Based on posts here and in other threads, it looks like there are a lot of facilities and even if I need a taxi, it's pretty straightforward.