Port Arthur - entry fees

Murgat

I am considering a Tasmanian cruise that includes Port Arthur as a tender port. Does anyone know if the entry fees to the attractions in the park are included in the cruise fare or do you need to pay an entry fee when you get ashore? I would prefer not to do an organised ships tour but would consider it if this is recommended. Thanks

I can't imagine that the entry fees to Port Arthur would be included in the cruise fare since there would be passengers who would choose not to get off the ship for whatever reason. (What ship are you cruising on?)

I don't see any reason for doing a ship's excursion of the Port Arthur site if you have transportation there. It's super-easy to tour on your own.

How long are you at Port Arthur? You should allow at least 4 to 6 hours to see it properly.

Thank you GradUT. That makes sense. I will DIY. I will if I book be on the Diamond Princess. The ship anchors at 7 am and departs at 5pm so that should allow at least six hours. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

It was very easy to order tickets online so you won't have to wait in lines when you arrive. The ticket was $35 UAD per person. This ticket includes a 45 min. guided walking tour, a 30 min cruise tour, as well as access to 30 historical buildings.

There are different ticket prices of various choices to do. We chose this because our cruise ship is docking at Hobart.

The tour of the cemetery on the Isle of the Dead appealed to us, so we included it when we toured Port Arthur. We found it very interesting, but if you do this tour, you would have to buy an additional ticket and have enough time for the tour. I would allow a minimum of 4 hours (but preferably more) for the basic Bronze Pass and at least 6 hours for anything additional such as the Silver Pass. I don't think you have enough time in your schedule for the Gold Pass.

• 1 year later...
I can't imagine that the entry fees to Port Arthur would be included in the cruise fare since there would be passengers who would choose not to get off the ship for whatever reason. (What ship are you cruising on?)

I don't see any reason for doing a ship's excursion of the Port Arthur site if you have transportation there. It's super-easy to tour on your own.

How long are you at Port Arthur? You should allow at least 4 to 6 hours to see it properly.

Hi

So if we are tendering at Port Arthur we would be able to walk there comfortably ?

Thanks

Hi

So if we are tendering at Port Arthur we would be able to walk there comfortably ?

Thanks

I havent been there with a cruise ship but have been several times to Port Arthur. I would imagine that the tenders land at the actual Port Arthur historic site jetty. There being nowhere else to go.

Tours to the Island of the Dead, and all other walking tours would be done from the Port Arthur site.

You would do a ships tour or privately organised tour to areas outside of Port Arthur.

Relatively new experience for ships to call in at Port Arthur. The coast line around the south eastern side of Tasmania is stunning.

Considering going on the new visitor -Golden Princes just for the experience.

The new jetty is only recently finished and as such was designed for the cruise ships. They have a golf style cart that meets the cruses for those with limited mobility.

You can pre book online and TBH the best experience IMHO are the 2 on the additional tours

Do not do the food included passes… just add the tours to your bronze pass and it should be doable from the ship…

Generally they are timed so that you do Isle of the dead and then Point Puer or Vice Versa… it will have the tour times on your booking online options so you can work out if this links to tenders but 7-5 gives you more than enough time Don't panic if the ticket doesn't do the cruise straight after the walk tour… they will fit your cruise around the special tours

The only one you can't do is after dark

I havent been there with a cruise ship but have been several times to Port Arthur. I would imagine that the tenders land at the actual Port Arthur historic site jetty. There being nowhere else to go.

Tours to the Island of the Dead, and all other walking tours would be done from the Port Arthur site.

You would do a ships tour or privately organised tour to areas outside of Port Arthur.

Relatively new experience for ships to call in at Port Arthur. The coast line around the south eastern side of Tasmania is stunning.

Considering going on the new visitor -Golden Princes just for the experience.

Not sure what you mean by relatively new, but we first cruised to Port Arthur about 2002.

GUT

there was a long period while they were doing refurbs at PA and there was also limited access prior to this (2014 saw only 3 berths vs 2015 with 19)

It was not a popular stop in comparison to where they are at now, many cruises now offer both Hobart and PA on the schedule. A few years ago the majority only stopped at Hobart for the day. (Some still do) It's still really only Princess and P&O) with a few stray Azamara and the odd HAL (Volendam) dropping by.

HAL, Seabourn, Silversea, and Celebrity are still looking to increase or secure berth dates….

It was Port Arthur that first got DW to cruise.

She did her PhD on Point Puer so it was the temptation that got her there. I'm not sure if I'm glad or sad because after that one we were totally hooked. Her thesis is now part of the reference collection at Port Arthur, been there a number of times, and over half of our cruises have included Tasmania.

• 3 weeks later...

So long as you are able to walk a few kilometers over the course of the day at your own pace over easy terrain (a lot of which is flat and the hills are small) then you'll be fine.

It's a lovely location and well worth a good look around - you'll have a great time whether you go for the guided option or not - there are signs everywhere explaining what happen at each location.