Using Long Beach Airport for San Pedro departure

SnowshoeCat

I know from experience that the nearest airport isn't necessarily the most convenient, especially considering ground transportation and hotel options. So how is LGB?

I would fly in the evening before my cruise, so I just need a place to stay. Would I be better off taking some sort of shuttle (if there is one) to a hotel near the port, or stay near the airport and shuttle to the cruise the next day? I'm pretty sure the cruise line only offers a shuttle from LAX. Shared rides are fine as I'm a solo traveler and taxis can get expensive.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

I know from experience that the nearest airport isn't necessarily the most convenient, especially considering ground transportation and hotel options. So how is LGB?

I would fly in the evening before my cruise, so I just need a place to stay. Would I be better off taking some sort of shuttle (if there is one) to a hotel near the port, or stay near the airport and shuttle to the cruise the next day? I'm pretty sure the cruise line only offers a shuttle from LAX. Shared rides are fine as I'm a solo traveler and taxis can get expensive.

LGB is actually only a small distance closer to the cruise port in San Pedro than LAX is (About 20 miles/LAX versus 16 miles/LGB)...

And, you are right, most cruise lines do not offer transfers from LGB...and shared shuttles may even be harder to find since LGB has so few flights...usually resulting in the need for a taxi--which are also in shorter supply at LGB...

The main advantage of LGB is that it is an incredibly SMALL arport...so, it is easy to find one's way around...and crowds are small...much quieter, less confusing, etc.

But it also has a very limited number of flights on a limited number of airlines to and froma limited number of destinations...

LAX, OTOH, is the sixth busiest airport in the world...so the sheer size intimidates a lot of people. Some people complain about long lines for check-in and/or security...However, we fly out of LAX a LOT and have very rarely experienced any problem with such lines. The biggest problem with LAX, IMHO, is for people who have to make connections here--especially on different airlines in different terminals...LAX does not have the interior tram or shuttle system many airports have. But, for those merely flying in and out, it is really not that bad...Flying in, you merely make your way from the gsate to baggage claim and out to the curb--where you find a plentiful number of shuttles, taxis and other ground transportation...Flying out of LAX is a little more problematic as they caution you to arrive 2 hours before your domestic flight...but, if you don't have a car to return or other complications, it is pretty simple to get dropped off at the proper terminal and get to the gate...

As to hotels, I would strongly recommend that, whichever airport you use, you stay at the port, not at the airport...Get the shuttle through traffic out of the way at arrival...and leave the morning of your cruise stress-free...And, yes, for a solo traveler on a budget, I'd recommend contacting a shuttle company like Super Shuttle for your ride down to San Pedro (from LAX, it's only $17 plus a tip)...You can even go without a reservation and find a shuttle at LAX--there are plenty of them round the clock...

For San Pedro, I highly recommend staying at the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree in San Pedro...Both have free shuttles to the pier in the morning (a VERY SHORT ride, especially from the Crowne)...and there are lots of restaurant choices within a couple of blocks of the Crowne Plaza...

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you - that was very informative.I was looking at LGB so I can use my JetBlue points and save a little money. And I don't have to worry about the outbound flight because it's a repositioning cruise, so I won't be coming back ;)

For some reason, I had it stuck in my head that LAX was south of LA. Maybe because last time I was there I flew into John Wayne. Anyway, thanks. I'll do more research.

Hi Steve,

Thank you - that was very informative.I was looking at LGB so I can use my JetBlue points and save a little money. And I don't have to worry about the outbound flight because it's a repositioning cruise, so I won't be coming back ;)

For some reason, I had it stuck in my head that LAX was south of LA. Maybe because last time I was there I flew into John Wayne. Anyway, thanks. I'll do more research.

If you can save money using Jet Blue into LGB...and there's a convenient flight and flight time...go for it...

Just pre-arrange a shuttle from LGB to a hotel in San Pedro if you can. I just looked it up and it looks like Super Shuttle WON'T do a shared shuttle from LGB to San Pedro...They offer their Execucar service for $59 one way...PrimeTime Shuttle looks like they'll do it for $22...But you also may want to confirm and may have to check with other companies as well...

LAX is actually on the "West Side" of Los Angeles...and about 20 miles north of the pier...LGB is northeast of the pier...but there's no direct route except surface streets...It's 16 miles by Freeway, going West, then South...John Wayne is about 35 miles Southeast of the pier...Burbank Airport is a little farther than that--due north of the pier...Ontario is 60 miles northeast...

I got my geography straight now. I'm still in the early planning stages. There's a chance I may wait until next fall to do a southbound repo, ending in LA, in which case I won't need a hotel, but I will need to worry about flight times. It's a good thing I like travel planning!

Since you're doing advanced planning, keep tabs on JetBlue's transcon flights into LGB. They are slowly moving transcon routes to LAX and using LGB for regional flights. There are still a handful of JFK-LGB flights but keep an eye on the situation. You should still be able to connect thru SEA or SFO if they drop LGB, or fly nonstop to LAX.

Since you're doing advanced planning, keep tabs on JetBlue's transcon flights into LGB. They are slowly moving transcon routes to LAX and using LGB for regional flights. There are still a handful of JFK-LGB flights but keep an eye on the situation. You should still be able to connect thru SEA or SFO if they drop LGB, or fly nonstop to LAX.

Thank you - good to know.

In the planning stages..leaving March 22 from Los Angeles I'm assuming San Pedro pier? I've noticed for me (from Omaha NE) Burbank airport is cheaper than LAX. After reading here it sounds like it would be best to take a taxi to a hotel closer to the pier the day before the cruise. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

In the planning stages..leaving March 22 from Los Angeles I'm assuming San Pedro pier? I've noticed for me (from Omaha NE) Burbank airport is cheaper than LAX. After reading here it sounds like it would be best to take a taxi to a hotel closer to the pier the day before the cruise. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Burbank is a great little airport--small, short lines, easy to maneuver around...only one small terminal...you walk in the front door and your gate is either immediately to your left or a short walk to your right. There are no walkways to the planes...you walk out onto the tarmac and up the stairs the old fashioned way. When they unload, they do it from both the front and rear of the plane. There is one luggage carousel. Etc.

If there is a problem with using Burbank for a cruise it's that it's about 37 miles from the pier (LAX is 20, LGB is 16, John Wayne 34). A taxi would tend to be quite expensive. A shuttle for two from Burbank Airport to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro via Super Shuttle runs $70 plus tip (LAX is $17 plus tip per person)...so you lose a little bit of your price advantage there.

Whichever airport you use, I would recommend flying in the day before and staying the night in San Pedro (Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree) so as to get the transportation part over with and be able to relax the morning of embarkation.

Edited by Bruin Steve

There's not a real straightforward path (several freeways) to go from Burbank to San Pedro (where you probably want to spend the night to be close to the port). If you were planning on coming out at least a couple days early to do a little sightseeing in the Hollywood area (maybe take the Warner Studios tour in Burbank too), it would be a good option. There's some nice hotels nearby. But you would have to consider the taxi or shuttle cost from that area to the port on the morning of your cruise.

I haven't used that airport, but many in the San Fernando Valley consider flights from there as a convenience over going over the hill and through traffic to get to LAX.

Ontario is another airport in the Southern California area, but if you find cheaper flights, that savings would be eaten up by transportation nearer to the pier.