Flat rate taxi fares from YVR

scottbee

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Maps/2014_11_03_FINAL_YVR_Zone_Rates_Map_VERTICAL.sflb.ashx

Starting today, there are flat rate farea leaving the airport to Vancouver or Richmond. Downtown (Canada Place) is a flat $35; about the same as previously. The big loser would be heading to "airport" hotels in Richmond which previously would have been 10-15$ and now starts at $20 .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yup, looks like North Richmond is subsidizing the rest of us by a buck or three. Our current metered fare home is usually ~$33 even with minimal traffic, and that $31 fare zone takes in almost all of downtown.

I foresee a lot of drivers billing passengers to the Delta on the south side of Hastings the $35 rate incorrectly; everyone living at Knight & Kingsway getting dropped in the $26 corner instead of the $41(!); and now I have to decide if walking the last two blocks home is worth saving $5... since that'll take me past three pubs I might reinvest my savings in a beer to celebrate returning;-)

Yup, looks like North Richmond is subsidizing the rest of us by a buck or three. Our current metered fare home is usually ~$33 even with minimal traffic, and that $31 fare zone takes in almost all of downtown.

I foresee a lot of drivers billing passengers to the Delta on the south side of Hastings the $35 rate incorrectly; everyone living at Knight & Kingsway getting dropped in the $26 corner instead of the $41(!); and now I have to decide if walking the last two blocks home is worth saving $5... since that'll take me past three pubs I might reinvest my savings in a beer to celebrate returning;-)

The one that really struck me (and it's something I've done on a few occassions) is a taxi from the main to south terminal at YVR will be $20!

• 3 weeks later...

To answer both posters above - cabs accept credit cards, including US and any other country-of-issue as long as it's one of the core international cards (Visa, MC, Amex are all fine; Discover, Diners, JCB - ask first and expect the answer to be No).

US cash is widely accepted in Vancouver, though NEVER guaranteed to be accepted - so ask your cabbie BEFORE you get in whether it's OK to pay this way. You will get change in Canadian, and you'll get a crappy exchange rate (even if your CC charges 2.5% fees they'll be less - for months now Can$ has been around 10% less than US$, but most every place I've seen with signs that they accept USD still say they do so at par).

I will be in Vancouver for 2 days prior to our Sept 22, 2015 cruise to Hawaii! I want to be a good a good American tourist and have $CAD to use for cabs, tips, restaurants, and etc. I know this a stupid question, but any left over $CAD that I have, will they be accepted by the ships crew as acceptable additional gratuities. I know that not everything revolves around the $USD, but I do not want to be the ugly American tourist!

Please don't flame me I just want to do what is proper!

I will be in Vancouver for 2 days prior to our Sept 22, 2015 cruise to Hawaii! I want to be a good a good American tourist and have $CAD to use for cabs, tips, restaurants, and etc. I know this a stupid question, but any left over $CAD that I have, will they be accepted by the ships crew as acceptable additional gratuities. I know that not everything revolves around the $USD, but I do not want to be the ugly American tourist!

Please don't flame me I just want to do what is proper!

The ships crew are very worldly and will have no issues accepting C$ as gratuities.

^ As long as you are paying your suggested service charges already, you're doing everything you are expected to do regarding tipping crew. While I'm sure that the crew would have a preference for US$ while *in* Hawai'i they're not going to refuse any free cash over & above the expected tip levels - and with most lines apparently pooling tip funds anyway, I'm sure the mechanics of changing currencies are more easily dealt with in bulk.

Thank you Scottbee and Martincath. I have already pre-paid my grats, so no problem there. I really am looking forward to visiting Vancouver. The last time we there in 2011, it was off the plane (and an hour in the immigration line), on the bus, and to the ship.

Edited by hawk/hornfan