We look for rain, but......

I apologize if this ha been addressed before, I did a search yesterday and didn't really get a definitve answer.

I'm trying to find out what the weather will be like in Nova Scotia the end of Sept. Our cruise will visit Halifax, Sydney, and Saint John after the 22 of september. We live in Nevada, so actually like to encounter a little rain on vacation as we get to see is so seldom, lol. And we went to Alaska the first week of May, so the cooler weather is welcome too. But I can't seem to find any threads addressing what I might expect as far as the weather......

I appreaciate any input ya'll can provide. Thanks loads for your help.:o

I apologize if this ha been addressed before, I did a search yesterday and didn't really get a definitve answer.

I'm trying to find out what the weather will be like in Nova Scotia the end of Sept. Our cruise will visit Halifax, Sydney, and Saint John after the 22 of september. We live in Nevada, so actually like to encounter a little rain on vacation as we get to see is so seldom, lol. And we went to Alaska the first week of May, so the cooler weather is welcome too. But I can't seem to find any threads addressing what I might expect as far as the weather......

I appreaciate any input ya'll can provide. Thanks loads for your help.:o

Late September is a lovely time of year in Saint John and Halifax. The chance of fog is much less than in the summer, although it does happen. The temperatures are generally in the low sixties in the morning but can rise into the seventies in the afternoon on a sunny day. If it is rainy they will be in the sixties.

We tend to get the tail end of hurricanes here in the fall, but with the notable exception of Hurricane Juan a few years ago, they rarely amount to much. The temperature is quite balmy if that happens as all that warm, moist air is being pushed north.

Sydney is further north than Halifax and Saint John so maybe someone from there can address your question. I suspect it would be much the same as here---maybe a few degrees cooler, but not by much.

I wish you fair skies and hope you enjoy your visit to our area!!!

Here is a site that will give you some idea as to weather expectations in Nova Scotia throughout the year.

http://www.worldweather.org/056/c00637f.htm#climate

We sailed to Halifax last October (early) and thoroughly enjoyed the port and the weather. And having been to Nevada we know you will love the radical differences in climates.

Like any coastal city, if you don't like the weather in any of those cities you listed, wait 5 minutes and it will likely change. And if it's foggy along the water, just go inland a couple minutes and it can be clear.

I've been in Halifax quite a few weekends this Spring and there's been lots of fog but surprisingly little rain. In fact the rain barrel at my SO's place is getting pretty empty. I think it's been well over a week since we had rain.

It seems like every time I check the webcam for Halifax or Peggys Cove it's foggy.......... will it be that way the end of September too??

don't get me wrong, I actually like seeing fog, we don't ever get it here in my corner of the desert.......

I was just wondering.

It seems like every time I check the webcam for Halifax or Peggys Cove it's foggy.......... will it be that way the end of September too??

don't get me wrong, I actually like seeing fog, we don't ever get it here in my corner of the desert.......

I was just wondering.

Fog is funny stuff. There has been a lot of it here this summer but in Saint John it can vary from neighbourhood to neighbourhood. Just a few evenings ago the entire harbour was engulfed in thick fog but up on the hill, a few streets back, it was beautiful and sunny. I live about two miles from the port, as the crow flies, and even if it is hot and sunny here, I always take a sweater or jacket if I am going uptown because it can be foggy there and many degrees cooler.

Try looking at your webcam in mid afternoon if you see fog in the AM. It often burns off in the afternoon, only to return in the evening. There is much less chance of fog in September.

Another note---foggy means misty so wear someting water repellent as your clothes will get damp. As to your hair-------it gives you what we call fog head------worse than bed head.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching the webcams fairly regularly and was just wondering, has it been foggier than usual lately?? I'm starting to get excited about our visit, and getting some cooler weather.

thanks for all your advice as well, all of these boards about NE and NS have been a tremendous help. :)

Archived