Inflatable pool on pool deck NCL Gem

Mamaoftwocruisee

9a2b0435f3031db826c97b0029ffc7f3.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has firsthand knowledge of people using a small inflatable baby pool like this onboard NCL pool decks?

On our last cruise (last February Carnival Conquest) I didn't see anyone using one but Pinterest and forum boards abound with advice to bring one for non-potty train kids. I did bring an inflatable bath on our last cruise but never brought it on deck.

I will be cruising with my almost 5-year-old (not the issue here) and just barely 2-year-old (just beginning the potty training process). I have the small pool in the picture that I bring with us to the beach in he summer so and was hoping to use it on the pool deck on our April cruise on NCL Gem.

I was also wondering where you get he water to fill it, showers?

TIA for any advice. Getting excited, less than two weeks away!!!! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would go with an inflatable TUB..not a pool. It's big enough for "splashing", but not as large as the pool in your link. You can fill a tub with about 3 ice buckets worth of H20.....and it's easy to empty into a shower or floor drain. You will NOT be able to pick up that pool and empty it in a proper place. You shouldn't just dump the "pool" onto the deck, as it will drain into the pools and contaminate them.

If you only have a shower in the cabin, the tub comes in handy for bathing...which is it's real purpose!

I would go with an inflatable TUB..not a pool. It's big enough for "splashing", but not as large as the pool in your link. You can fill a tub with about 3 ice buckets worth of H20.....and it's easy to empty into a shower or floor drain. You will NOT be able to pick up that pool and empty it in a proper place. You shouldn't just dump the "pool" onto the deck, as it will drain into the pools and contaminate them.

If you only have a shower in the cabin, the tub comes in handy for bathing...which is it's real purpose!

Thanks. My 2-year old is kind of a big boy so I don't know if the tub will still work. It I will dig it out of storage and see. Someone somewhere made a point of mentioning to set up out of the way near one of the floor drains or near a shower for easy emptying. Great help. Thanks.

I saw a post exactly like this from a while back and the poster phoned NCL and they told her it was okay to do. Granted it's a few year old but Her post says "they even told me the crew would be happy to assist in filling it"

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1158825

So I'd phone them and check and then go for a baby pool. It would be worth asking them on the phone how best to fill it too, they might tell you the same, that crew could help. or advise you the best way.

And It certainly wouldn't bother me if someone had a baby pool on deck for their baby or toddler.

Unfortunately, the people on the phone very often are completely unfamiliar with how things actually are on board. It doesn't hurt to call, but someone on the phone saying you can or you can't means pretty much zero once you're on board. I can see saying to a deck hand "but they said on the phone you would fill my pool" not being successful. Best thing is to bring a small tub that he can use to splash in, or bring your pool and a beach bucket and worst case you put it right by a drain and fill it and empty it yourself, or if you can't find a good place for it, at least it didn't take up too much space in your luggage.

Best,

Mia

Unfortunately' date=' the people on the phone very often are completely unfamiliar with how things actually are on board. It doesn't hurt to call, but someone on the phone saying you can or you can't means pretty much zero once you're on board. I can see saying to a deck hand "but they said on the phone you would fill my pool" not being successful. Best thing is to bring a small tub that he can use to splash in, or bring your pool and a beach bucket and worst case you put it right by a drain and fill it and empty it yourself, or if you can't find a good place for it, at least it didn't take up too much space in your luggage.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Right. I don't think I'll actually need help from anyone other than DH or grandparents, hoping that we won't be reprimanded. I'll bring the small one and bucket (have to bring it for the beach anyway) and hope for the best [emoji16] cautious optimism

Well no I wouldn't have suggested forcing staff to help either with the pool filling lol despite what they said on the phone. That isn't what I meant, just to clarify :D

I just meant it would be worth calling incase the answer was a definite "no you absolutely cannot have a pool". But I doubt the answer would be a no anyway.

Mia, that picture is adorable.

I'm not familiar with NCL but we are bringing a small pool for my 20 month old. I believe the one you posted a picture of is about 36" which I think would be fine. The worst they can say is...you can't do that here. My 21 month old that we are cruising with next week on RCCL is a big guy too so I got him something similar. My plan is to set it up near a drain and to bring a bucket and fill with water from the showers, and bring a few small bath/beach toys for him to play with. My backup plan is to use it on our aft balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

deaab07b564e4c4694ccff0376a9a53d.jpg

We brought the pool and used it a few days out at the pool. We only had a problem one day where we had to move it because we couldn't find a place so we ended up skipping the pool that day. (Side note: I detest chair hogs that leave a towel on a chair with a flip flop and "claim" the chair all day and never use it).

Anyway, it worked out and I would do it again but hopefully my little guy will be out of diapers this time next year for our next cruise.

how did you go about filling it?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

We filled it at first with a bucket that we had brought along using water from the showers. Then later on I figured out I could just put the whole pool in the shower and fill it up with "two showers worth" of water and still be able to fold and carry it easy enough. I also emptied it in the shower