taxi in nassau $50 a little high?

littlered87

I will be in nassau in september for 1 day- a cruise port -and my hubby & i would like to do the historical walking tour, but ive seen alot of stuff about crime rates rising this year... i emailed to get a price for a taxi for the time it would take to do the tour (it takes 2 hours to walk so im assuming alot less to drive) but the person that emailed me back said $50 an hour.. isnt that a little high? shouldnt it be by miles? and since were only staying right near the port that sounds a little outrageous but please correct me if im wrong and also.. does anyone know if thats still safe to do if we walk?

I will be in nassau in september for 1 day- a cruise port -and my hubby & i would like to do the historical walking tour, but ive seen alot of stuff about crime rates rising this year... i emailed to get a price for a taxi for the time it would take to do the tour (it takes 2 hours to walk so im assuming alot less to drive) but the person that emailed me back said $50 an hour.. isnt that a little high? shouldnt it be by miles? and since were only staying right near the port that sounds a little outrageous but please correct me if im wrong and also.. does anyone know if thats still safe to do if we walk?

Depends on how many in your party. Keep in mind that while you are "touring" with a cabbie, he could be picking up fare after fare after fare.. as long as the ships are in.

It's $35 for a 30 minute ride from the airport for 2 ppl..

If you want a second opinion .. ask sandra ferguson for a quote.

www.bahamas-treasures.com/fergiestaxi

As for walking.. it's safe during the day.. just don't flash your money or jewelry.

Edited by scubagirrl

Depends on how many in your party. Keep in mind that while you are "touring" with a cabbie, he could be picking up fare after fare after fare.. as long as the ships are in.

It's $35 for a 30 minute ride from the airport for 2 ppl..

If you want a second opinion .. ask sandra ferguson for a quote.

www.bahamas-treasures.com/fergiestaxi

As for walking.. it's safe during the day.. just don't flash your money or jewelry.

thats actually who gave me the quote. its just me & my hubby. thanks! hopefully the rate wont rise anymore and we'll be able to do the walking tour

It looks to be more than 6 or 7 miles from the port. You might want to pay $1.50 each way per person to hop on the #10 jitney.

Someone else posted this to another stream. Not sure what the jitney is but others seem to be using it.

It looks to be more than 6 or 7 miles from the port. You might want to pay $1.50 each way per person to hop on the #10 jitney.

Someone else posted this to another stream. Not sure what the jitney is but others seem to be using it.

The jitney is the Bahamas version of a city bus system. Instead of it being run by the local government like it the states, private owners run the routes in their vehicles. I'm assuming there is government oversight and licensing of the drivers. I know it does not look like a city bus, more like a large van with bus style seating.

Doing what the OP would like to do, I'm not sure the jitney would have a route that matches up with the tour, or how convenient it would be over walking the route the wish to take.

The jitney doens't go the route of the walking tour..it only goes from Downtown to Cable Beach and back again. .

thanks for all the input.. i think we've decided to take our chances walking and just hope that the crime rates dont rise against tourists any higher... i'd like to go at my own pace because i love taking photos!

• 1 month later...

I used Cheryl Fox Ferguson when I was in The Bahamas too and can thoroughly recommend her.

I used her for my trips to and from the airport and well as for a tour of the island, to visit places like Jaws Beach (a lovely little beach where I was the only one there!)

Not sure if I can put a link to her website, but here goes:

http://www.cherylbahamastaxiandtours.com/

Hi,

I agree, it is well worth being cautious with comments made by first time posters, but for what it's worth, I would like to say it's an honest recommendation on my part.

I just stumbled across this forum and having been out there for 6 weeks, just wanted to contribute my experience.

Anyway, enough of that, I found some useful information to add...

The website I linked to in my last post has a pdf copy of the official (Government) Bahamas price list on it.

http://www.cherylbahamastaxiandtours.com/bahamas-taxi-prices.pdf

Perhaps it's worth printing it out and taking it with you on your trip? That way, you could show it to any taxi driver that tries to give you an excessive quote.

To be honest, I wish I had had that information on me when I was there - I quite often felt like I was being charged just a few dollars too much when I waved down taxis off the street.

Cheers

Hi,

I agree, it is well worth being cautious with comments made by first time posters, but for what it's worth, I would like to say it's an honest recommendation on my part.

I just stumbled across this forum and having been out there for 6 weeks, just wanted to contribute my experience.

The website I linked to in my last post has a pdf copy of the official (Government) Bahamas price list on it.

Perhaps it's worth printing it out and taking it with you on your trip? That way, you could show it to any taxi driver that tries to give you an excessive quote.

To be honest, I wish I had had that information on me when I was there - I quite often felt like I was being charged just a few dollars too much when I waved down taxis off the street.

Cheers

Thank you for that Wjordan. I am new to cruise critic but have sailed on Carnival twice and recently sailed the Disney Dream May 3rd from Port Canaveral. We ported in Nassau May 4th. I contacted Mrs. Cheryl Ferguson because I also did not want to feel rushed from purchasing a ship excursion. Mrs. Cheryl was absolutely amazing. I told her we wanted to see the Atlantis, Fort Fincastle, go to the beach and do some shopping. I booked with her all day to do everything we wanted to do instead of one or two things thru the ship. She was waiting for us when we got off the ship with a sign so we could find her. We did everything we wanted to do and some things we didn't expect at all. My god daughter loved the bat cave and climbed to the very top(amazing pictures). We also went inside the government building which is the pink building and she explained it as White House in the Bahamas to my god daughter. There was so much more we did and being my second time to Nassau it was the best and I can't wait to book with her again. She introduced us as "her people" and the Nassau Hospitality was great. We rode jet skis and went to Nirvana beach and were the only ones there. Jaws beach was beautiful too. Overall, it was much better than a ship excursion in Nassau when you get to plan your own day and go at your own pace.

Disney Dream May 3, 2012 Cabin 9660

Edited by Mandericious

Hi,

Cheers

Thank you for that Wjordan. I am new to cruise critic but have sailed on Carnival twice and recently sailed the Disney Dream May 3rd from Port Canaveral. We ported in Nassau May 4th. I contacted Mrs. Cheryl Ferguson because I also did not want to feel rushed from purchasing a ship excursion. Mrs. Cheryl was absolutely amazing. I told her we wanted to see the Atlantis, Fort Fincastle, go to the beach and do some shopping. I booked with her all day to do everything we wanted to do instead of one or two things thru the ship. She was waiting for us when we got off the ship with a sign so we could find her. We did everything we wanted to do and some things we didn't expect at all. My god daughter loved the bat cave and climbed to the very top(amazing pictures). We also went inside the government building which is the pink building she explained it as White House in the Bahamas to my god daughter. There was so much more we did and being my second time to Nassau it was the best and I can't wait to book with her again. She introduced us as "her people" and the Nassau Hospitality was great. We rode jet skis and went to Nirvana beach and were the only ones there. Jaws beach was beautiful too. Overall, it was much better than a ship excursion in Nassau when you get to plan your own day and go at your own pace.

Disney Dream May 3, 2012 Cabin 9660

• 7 months later...

Thank you for the information on Cheryl. We booked her too to do the same thing for us this month. I am taking some information from your post to add to our itinerary. If you think of anything else that she took you too please let me know. We would truly appreciate it!

We got off the ship walked to the street and there were a lot of taxi vans that would do tours . He also picked up another couple so there were four of us . He charged 25.00!apiece plus tip . Took us on a nice tour and narrated with history tidbits. Also let us get out at Queens staircase and took us to Atlantis .

• 2 months later...
We got off the ship walked to the street and there were a lot of taxi vans that would do tours . He also picked up another couple so there were four of us . He charged 25.00!apiece plus tip . Took us on a nice tour and narrated with history tidbits. Also let us get out at Queens staircase and took us to Atlantis .

Hi i was wondering how long your tour was with the taxi guide. thanks

Just an FYI - there is a new taxi rate card (those posted here are not current). I've requested the new rates.. when I get them I'll post them on my website and post a link.

In the meantime, add 4-5 dollars to the base rate on these fares.

• 11 months later...

My last visit to Nassau was September 2013. I used Cheryl Ferguson and her husband was the one that picked us up at port. He was delightful. We had a great time. Well worth paying the extra to have an all inclusive tour guide catered to your family and friends.

It doesn't seem more expensive for a family of 6 and just wanna make sure it's not a scam or to good to Be true. I was hoping to do people to people but I leave in 1 week and after the first email did not hear again so now looking for a back up plan for a tour for my family

Downtown to downtown - $8

Downtown to Cable Beach - $15

Downtown to Paradise Island - $11

Rates are for 2 ppl - add'l person in the same vehicle is $3 pp.

Hourly Rate - $60 per hour.

Downtown to Compass Point/Travelers Rest - $32 for 2

Additional Charges/Notes:[/b]

- Fares are established for the conveyance of the first two passengers

- Each additional passenger is charged $ 3.00

- Bridge toll of $ 1.00 to Paradise Island is charged extra ($1.00)

- Up to two pieces of hand baggage, small bags or packages carried by passenger: No charge

- Charge for every additional regular piece $ 1.00

- Charge for every large duffle bag and boxes $ 1.00

There are VAN/TAXI'S at the Port Dock exit to Atlantis and Comfort Suites that cost just $4pp. These vans fill up before leaving the dock area.

Meter Cabs: Davis Street, Nassau - 242-323-5111

Bahamas Taxi Cab Union: Nassau Street - 242-323-4555

Edited by scubagirrl