Myanmar guides

regent traveller

You might have better luck searching (and/or asking) on the river ports of call board, which is a subset of this one. Also, check the Asia section of the main ports of call board as Yangon is also a port for some ocean cruises.

Another place that's really good for finding guides is TripAdvisor. Their search feature can get a bit tricky with trying to point you towards hotels, so I often just google something like: Private guide for Yangon TripAdvisor and go into the site that way.

Good luck! I've been hoping to do that cruise for ages.

We were in Yangon earlier this year while on a HAL cruise. We had 2 nights in Yangon, and were part of a group who used Tour Mandalay for the 2.5 days. Our guide was Mae (not sure of spelling). She was absolutely wonderful - we were a group of about 12 and all agreed that she made our visit there a highlight. She has perfect English and a great sense of humour and made sure we saw as much as possible in our short time there. I think this company can arrange tours in other parts of the country - but definitely see if you can have Mae.

We found plenty of companies providing guides in Myanmar on Trip Advisor website. We used Exotic Voyages to book internal air, some accommodation and for transfers and some guiding. No problems at all. I have seen excellent reviews for Myanmar Shalom and in retrospect, wish I had used them because of their interesting family history in Myanmar. Myanmar Shalom's website has an excellent reading list for Myanmar.

After an overview with guide and driver in Yangon, we found it very easy to explore on our own. Taxis were affordable, we carried a hotel card and city map always, but most drivers had good English. Trip Advisor has good advice in the "Things to Do" section.

We will be going on a 7 day Myanmar cruise next Feb. Does anyone have private guides for Yangon, Inle Lake Mandaly and Bagan? Four of us will be touring before we board Belmond.

I was there in February and going back in a few months, again on the same ship! http://www.sanctuaryretreats.com/sanctuary-ananda-myanmar-cruise-ship-burma

Me and my husband were using A&K Myanmar ( Abercrombie & Kent ) and this is the best way! They have well experienced guides and their English is extremely good, which is rare to find in Myanmar!

Enjoy the experience!

Trish

• 2 months later...

just returned from a 3 day stop in yangoon on oceania and engaged private guide who was best i have ever had any place. suggest and highly recommend Myat Min Maung, general manger of dest day myanmar travels and tours. Perfect easily understandable, educated and knowledagble.. contact is info@bestdaymyanmar.com, or http://www.bestdaymyanmar.com