Military Tattoo from Glasgow

Katrine822

Hello all,

We are in the process of booking the Princess 8/5 British Isle cruise. After speaking to Princess, it appears the Glasgow excursion to the Tattoo is wait listed already. Has anyone used a private tour to get from Glasgow to Edinburgh and back to the ship (on time) to go see the Tattoo while in port? Any details you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you:)

The ship sails from Queensferry at 7pm, on the 9th, too early for a visit to the tattoo.

At Greenock, (which is approximately 45 minutes from Glasgow), sailing is delayed until 2 am to cater for those wishing to see the tattoo. It might be possible by train, but a bit nail-biting for my taste. I would suggest getting up a group on the roll call thread and booking a minibus (van).

http://www.momentumcoachhire.com/8-16-seater-coaches?gclid=CPCM5Iu2oNACFUo6GwodOTUK4A

The ship sails from Queensferry at 7pm, on the 9th, too early for a visit to the tattoo.

At Greenock, (which is approximately 45 minutes from Glasgow), sailing is delayed until 2 am to cater for those wishing to see the tattoo. It might be possible by train, but a bit nail-biting for my taste. I would suggest getting up a group on the roll call thread and booking a minibus (van).

http://www.momentumcoachhire.com/8-16-seater-coaches?gclid=CPCM5Iu2oNACFUo6GwodOTUK4A

if you search back this forum to 15 June a post called Transportation after the military tattoo back to Greenock, gives information that might be of interest to you,it is not possible to use the train given the time the tattoo starts and the timing of the last connection from edinburgh

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2367984&highlight=transportation+after+military+tattoo

Above is a link to the thread referred to by threetowner. A private hire is certainly the only option but it won't be cheap. I would also strongly advise that you become a 'Friend' of the tattoo, because you would be able to buy tickets before they go on sale to the general public.

Actually our ship docks in Greenock 8/11 and has the delayed 2 am sailing. I'll check the posts referenced - thank you everyone

Katrine822

I stay just a 20 minute drive from Greenock, there is no way you can do the Military Tattoo from Greenock by Public Transport, the last Train from Glasgow to Greenock leaves Glasgow before you would arrive back in Glasgow from Edinburgh.

You would be able to do the trip by hiring a private tour, why not consult the Roll Call for your cruise for like minded passengers and you may well be able to book a private tour at reasonable expense.

• 5 months later...

We have reservations for the Military Tatoo excursion, however, are looking to take the train from Greenock into Glasgow that morning & then make our way to Edinburgh later that day to attend the pageant. The train is close to the port & takes about 40 minutes into Glasgow. Assuming we are signed up for the trip back, just need to arrange for transport to Edinburgh late that afternoon. Has anyone done this? We would be interested in sharing a ride.

Shari & Roger Baer, Phoenix, AZ

There are trains every 15 minutes at peak times from Glasgow Queen Street (in the city centre) to Edinburgh Waverley and the journey only takes 50 minutes. The roads can get very congested between Edinburgh and Glasgow so train would be a better way to go,

Check here - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

Waverley is only about 10 minutes walk from the Castle. I assume you'll be doing the Princess coach back to Greenock?

If you want to arrange shared transport, have you posted this on your roll call?

We have reservations for the Military Tatoo excursion, however, are looking to take the train from Greenock into Glasgow that morning & then make our way to Edinburgh later that day to attend the pageant. The train is close to the port & takes about 40 minutes into Glasgow. Assuming we are signed up for the trip back, just need to arrange for transport to Edinburgh late that afternoon. Has anyone done this? We would be interested in sharing a ride.

Shari & Roger Baer, Phoenix, AZ

Go to the Roll Call for your cruise, others may be interested, a great place to find others to share excursions.

If the Tattoo is on a Saturday night, you would be able to take the train back as the shows are at 7 and 9.

If, your Tattoo is on another night, trains will stop before the Tatoo finishes. The show is 90 minutes with no intermission.

Yes, I had also read that the train is the best way to go from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Spoke to Princess rep today & he suggested calling back Monday to find out how that would work. We need to ensure we have our tickets to gain entrance to the event, where to find the coach on our way back, etc. It seems a shame not to explore Glasgow during the day but would rather not travel back and forth to the ship unnecessarily.

Go to the Roll Call for your cruise, others may be interested, a great place to find others to share excursions.

If the Tattoo is on a Saturday night, you would be able to take the train back as the shows are at 7 and 9.

If, your Tattoo is on another night, trains will stop before the Tatoo finishes. The show is 90 minutes with no intermission.

Not quite correct phabric. The Tattoo is 7:30 and 10:30 on Saturdays and 9:00 on other nights. The trains run late to Glasgow but then you can't get a connection to Greenock. My understanding is that the OP was going to book with Princess but travel to Edinburgh independently, using Princess transport to get back. However if they do that it means of course that they will miss exploring Edinburgh but that's a decision to be made.