Snorkel equipment

sweety51pie

HAL does not rent snorkel equipment. If you book a "snorkel excursion" there will usually be equipment provided by the tour operator. As long time avid snorkelers DW and I have long appreciated the advantage of having our own snorkel gear. Everything fits, my mask has prescription lenses (not very expensive when bought mail order), and we have no concerns about who previously used the gear.

Hank

HAL does not rent snorkel equipment. If you book a "snorkel excursion" there will usually be equipment provided by the tour operator. As long time avid snorkelers DW and I have long appreciated the advantage of having our own snorkel gear. Everything fits, my mask has prescription lenses (not very expensive when bought mail order), and we have no concerns about who previously used the gear.

Hank

Same here - I take size 13 shoes so bring my own fins.

Hank, could you tell, where did you buy a mask with prescription lenses? Thanks in advance!

Olga

I'm not Hank, but you can get them online at Snorkel Mart or Amazon. You'll want to have your prescription ready when you order.

Hank, could you tell, where did you buy a mask with prescription lenses? Thanks in advance!

Olga

It has been many years and DW and I have been scratching our heads :). Pretty sure we used Snorkel Mart

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/master.cfm?CategoryID=26&gclid=CNruiJLs88ACFYMF7Aod1DoA-A

for our last set of gear. There are several other decent online dive shops that discount gear... One problem with buying online is knowing the type mask that best fits your face. Those that want to be a bit choosy might want to go to a local dive shop and try a few types/models. Otherwise, you take your chances or might have to return/exchange your mask. Keep in mind that when it comes to masks, a silicone skirt is a good thing :). Silicone does not dry out or rot, is very flexible, and will generally give a better seal then cheaper rubber (or synthetic) skirts.

We have also found that a prescription mask (for those that need corrective lenses) is a great thing :). Snorkel Mart has lots of prescription options and if you know your script its easy to select lenses that are close. Being exact does not seem to be vital underwater since the water adds distortion to any mask.

Hank

Olga

Having been a dive instructor for many years, I feel comfortable recommending your going to a certified scuba dive shop to get prescription lenses in a dive mask.

Any dive shop will have a connection with an optician to alter the mask that fits your face, with the correct lenses. The shop will help you select the correct mask to fit your face and the optician will know the proper correction to alter your prescription to compensate for the magnifying characteristic of vision under water.

I have used prescription lenses optically bonded to the inside of the clear glass lenses in my dive masks for many years.

Scott & Karen