Stone Island - Mazatlan Questions

chelsea922

I've been reading some old posts expressing concern about the safety of Stone Island but they are from January. Is there any update on the safety of going to Stone Island?

I think I understand walking from the cruise terminal to the water taxi spot to the left of the terminal and that it is about $3 round trip per person. How often does the taxi run?

Once you are at Stone Island, I know there are some restaurants - Lety's and Victors seem to be mentioned a lot, but can you also rent chairs and umbrellas? If so, any idea how much? Can you buy cocktails like a margarita or is beer the only option? Do you need to be concerned about the ice in a margarita? Is snorkeling any good there or should I leave the equipment on the ship?

We're looking at doing this on our own in December and I just like to have as many details as possible before taking off from the ship. :)

I've been reading some old posts expressing concern about the safety of Stone Island but they are from January. Is there any update on the safety of going to Stone Island?

I think I understand walking from the cruise terminal to the water taxi spot to the left of the terminal and that it is about $3 round trip per person. How often does the taxi run?

Once you are at Stone Island, I know there are some restaurants - Lety's and Victors seem to be mentioned a lot, but can you also rent chairs and umbrellas? If so, any idea how much? Can you buy cocktails like a margarita or is beer the only option? Do you need to be concerned about the ice in a margarita? Is snorkeling any good there or should I leave the equipment on the ship?

We're looking at doing this on our own in December and I just like to have as many details as possible before taking off from the ship. :)

Hi Chelsea, I can answer some of your questions, as I was just at Stone Island this past March with my niece.

We walked from the cruise terminal to the water taxi stand, it took maybe 10 minutes. The water taxis seem to just run back and forth all day, pretty regularly. We paid for our tickets and got right on a little boat.

When we got over there we paid a guy a few bucks to take us to Lety's. There will be people right when you got off the water taxi who can give rides to the beach bars. There will be donkey drawn wagons, trucks, etc.

We felt entirely safe while we there, did not notice anything unusual. At Lety's, a lounger and umbrella was provided, as were eating, and I had cocktails. I think that is pretty much the case at most places, if you are ordering food/drink you can have a lounger or chair if they are available. I was not concerned about the ice in my rum and coke, and experienced no problems. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can answer about the snorkeling.

We really enjoyed our day at Stone Island, and plan on going again next March! :D

Hi Chelsea, I can answer some of your questions, as I was just at Stone Island this past March with my niece.

We walked from the cruise terminal to the water taxi stand, it took maybe 10 minutes. The water taxis seem to just run back and forth all day, pretty regularly. We paid for our tickets and got right on a little boat.

When we got over there we paid a guy a few bucks to take us to Lety's. There will be people right when you got off the water taxi who can give rides to the beach bars. There will be donkey drawn wagons, trucks, etc.

We felt entirely safe while we there, did not notice anything unusual. At Lety's, a lounger and umbrella was provided, as were eating, and I had cocktails. I think that is pretty much the case at most places, if you are ordering food/drink you can have a lounger or chair if they are available. I was not concerned about the ice in my rum and coke, and experienced no problems. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can answer about the snorkeling.

We really enjoyed our day at Stone Island, and plan on going again next March! :D

Thank you. That does help a lot and even if the snorkeling isn't good, it's easy to carry the equipment back and forth. ;)

I've had two very relaxing and fun days on stone Island during port calls to Mazatlan. The first was in 2006 and included horseback riding with Randi followed by lunch at Lety's or Victors (can't remember which), The second was in 2010 and was just lunch, drinks and relaxation at Benji's across the lagoon from the rest of the restaurants. Next time we get back there, it'll be Benji's again, without a doubt!!

We were just there in April. Walked from the ship to the water taxi. I hadn't heard anything about safety concerns but we were with a toddler and were perfectly comfortable with our surroundings.

Edited by cadien

We went to Benji's Pizza on Stone Mountain. Excellent food and cheap. My DW was craving fish tacos and they perfectly prepared the fish, gave us tortillas, salsa, and beer. It was tasty. Will go back again. Very chill atmosphere.

We went to Benji's Pizza on Stone Mountain. Excellent food and cheap. My DW was craving fish tacos and they perfectly prepared the fish, gave us tortillas, salsa, and beer. It was tasty. Will go back again. Very chill atmosphere.

Did you mean Stone Island, or are you talking about a different place ?